• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I have used 44 mag pistol with very good results. Shoot and drop. small entrance hole, no exit. Heart could not be found other than pudding. I saw a big doe hit with a 243 years ago(Not legal then mind you), she was hit in the front shoulder, and the whole front half of the deer was no good. One leg almost shot off, and the damage on the other side was bad. 44 mag has put down my deer without a lot of meat damaged just as good as my slug gun.

I am for the new caliber rifles, but that being said, there will be a lot of meat wasted, and probably a few hunters sent scurrying for cover when the shooting starts. People will take a lot further shots, just because they can, and may not be safe to do so.

Anyway, Love the 44 mag.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You haven't seen the wounds from 12 ga High Impact Supremes or Active fosters have you?

Glad the .44 mag impressed you.

I haven't seen them, I'd check them out but I'm done using a shotgun for deer thankfully. I'm not saying 44mag is going to be better than 243 I just mean at 100 yards it's not like he needs to spend money on a new rifle unless he wants. And it did impress me mainly be the fact it performed much better than I thought it would. Probably one of the better performers I've seen over the last few seasons was a 450bushmaster.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have used 44 mag pistol with very good results. Shoot and drop. small entrance hole, no exit. Heart could not be found other than pudding. I saw a big doe hit with a 243 years ago(Not legal then mind you), she was hit in the front shoulder, and the whole front half of the deer was no good. One leg almost shot off, and the damage on the other side was bad. 44 mag has put down my deer without a lot of meat damaged just as good as my slug gun.

I am for the new caliber rifles, but that being said, there will be a lot of meat wasted, and probably a few hunters sent scurrying for cover when the shooting starts. People will take a lot further shots, just because they can, and may not be safe to do so.

Anyway, Love the 44 mag.

That kind of meat devastation is common from high velocity bullets fragmenting, especially when they strike bone.
    The problem can be reduced or eliminated with premium bullets, either bonded (think Nosler Accubond, Federal Fusion or Trophy Bonded), Nosler Partition, or expanding copper or gilding metal bullets (what I'll be using, specifically the Barnes TTSX).

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I often think of those old-timers who didn't know they were undergunned when they successfully hunted deer, bear, elk and etc. with their .38-40 and .44-40 rifles.

They knew the limitations of the round. Much like most of us that use the 44 mag. Keep it under 100 yards, and you are good. Over that, it works, but tracking deer starts to be more common.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    More punch? I don't know how that would be defined, but I can't imagine whatever metric used would show the 44 as greater than the 243, unless you were comparing something like .44 Mag +P+ Buffalo Bore to some Hornady Custom Lite .243 loads.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Punch..........defined as energy expended on/in the target.

FWIW .243win 100gr WW softpoint pretty much zipped through my deer's lungs this yr.
    He kicked at the hit, and then acted as if unhurt, went about 80 yards.
    Opened him up, rib blasted on exit. Entrance small, exit maybe twice the size of entrance (and not big by my view).
    Looked like you just poked a finger in his lungs.

Def different bullet next yr.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Punch..........defined as energy expended on/in the target.

FWIW .243win 100gr WW softpoint pretty much zipped through my deer's lungs this yr.
    He kicked at the hit, and then acted as if unhurt, went about 80 yards.
    Opened him up, rib blasted on exit. Entrance small, exit maybe twice the size of entrance (and not big by my view).
    Looked like you just poked a finger in his lungs.

Def different bullet next yr.

Yeah, bullet selection is key.

Sometimes deer just don't drop, though. I once shot a big doe head on at 110 yards with a Remington solid copper sabot. Everything above her diaphragm looked like it had all been thrown in a blender together and poured back in her chest. Slug lodged just behind the diaphragm. It couldn't have been a better shot. She still ran 50-60 yards before dropping.

Still, I would be looking for a bullet that did more than just poke a couple of clean holes.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Shot placement for me is the key to keep them from running, I like the rear quartering shot best, letting the deer pass the stand by 25+ yards. When faced away from me at that distance everything I've shot drops in it's tracks.

Top Bottom