• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I recently bought some 243win reloads. After shooting several of them 1 of them had a louder report and recoil(round overcharged). The case from that round locked the bolt up(the bolt action would not move). After getting the gun back from the gunsmith it's all good. My question is should I pull the bullets resize the brass and reload them myself(the purchased reloads) or would I be better off to pull the bullets from the purchased reloads buy new brass and reload with the new brass? I have over 500 of the purchased reloads and would like to reuse the brass I have unless it's going to harm the firearm. Will I be ok to reuse the brass I have if I process the brass and reload them correctly.
    THANKS,
    MATT

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    You should be able to use the brass again unless the person damaged them somehow or used an incorrect die. What would ever make you buy 500 rounds of rifle reloaded ammo from someone? Do not shoot ANY more of them, next time you might not be so lucky!

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I will not buy any more reloads from anyone. The person that reloaded the 243 for me had loaded several thousand pistol and a couple thousand rifle rounds for me prior to this and I never had any problems with any of them. I learned my lesson and bought my own set up to reload pistol and rifle now. To answer your question I did trust the guy to reload all my stuff but since this happened I will only be trusting myself from now on. He loaded several different loads for me to test the accuracy of the 243 once I found the load the gun liked I had him load up the run of 500. No I have not and will not be shooting any more of the 500. I plan on pulling the rest of them apart and reloading them myself. The gunsmith told me to scrap the brass and buy new but I don't understand why the gunsmith said that. I figured if I pull them apart and reload them correctly I would not have any problems.
    THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE,
    Matt

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    JMHO, If you CANNOT definitely I D the powder, discard it, and buy new..... Be sure to use a "popular" powder, from a good reloading manual ..... I don't know where Marshal Co., is, but if you need any help, please let me know .....

The brass, should be fine, I would think .....

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    SSGSAD,
    I plan on putting the powder in the garden. I will be using a full length sizing die to get the casings to proper dimensions. Then going through all the proper steps to get good ammo. Thank you for the offer to help me out I appreciate it. Any ideas on a good powder for a 90 grain bullet?
    THANKS,
    Matt

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pull the bullets and set them aside to be used again. If the guy who loaded the stuff can positively confirm that ALL of the powder was the same, I would save it. You're talking between 3 and 4 pounds of powder and there's likely nothing wrong with it.

As far as the cases go, raise the decapping pin up in your resizing die so it doesn't push the primer out, then do a full-length resizing. You could also buy a neck-sizing die and test a sample of cases to make sure they chamber properly, before they are reloaded (just the brass).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    SSGSAD,
    I plan on putting the powder in the garden. I will be using a full length sizing die to get the casings to proper dimensions. Then going through all the proper steps to get good ammo. Thank you for the offer to help me out I appreciate it. Any ideas on a good powder for a 90 grain bullet?
    THANKS,
    Matt

My Speer # 10, (old, I know). shows IMR 4064, 4350.
    H414, H205, & H450... Good Luck...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like IMR 4064 with 90 grain bullets. But ask him what powder he used. There are many good ones for .243.

But I sure wouldn't throw the powder away. I would pull the bullets and eyeball the powder level in the case. Then actually weigh each charge. Then reuse the powder and bullet after neck sizing.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    My .243, a 25 year old Savage, has always liked 100 gr. bullets and IMR 4350 powder. I experimented a lot shortly after I bought the gun, but this is the best combo that I found for it.

Top Bottom