Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Interesting post on the The Firearm Blog | Gun, Tactical & Hunting News from long ago.

Who said .22’s are not deadly? | The Firearm Blog

Never underestimate a cartridge, the .25 might be weaker than some, but it will still kill you. You dont have to have a 50mm JHP to kill a bad guy, all you need is a gun and the ability to shoot it.

The Raven .25 is the 4th most used gun in crimes, so crooks obviously don't feel underarmed with it.

America's Most Wanted Guns - TIME

I don't disagree it's used a lot, but this may help in understanding it's stopping power. 25 ACP Stopping Power Then select .22 LR and you'll see its better than the .25 ACP. Of course you'll note if you select other calibers the stopping power increases with cartridge size (addressing handgun). Be sure and select all bullet weights to view the results.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Honestly I would not want to be shot with a .25 ACP.

For those of you equating kinetic energy with stopping power, I've got a deal for you: you can throw a .25 acp pistol at me, and I'll shoot you with it however many rounds the magazine holds. Deal?

I do like what Colonel Jeff Cooper said about .25 acp, though:
    Never shoot someone with .25 acp because if they notice, it might make them mad.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Never underestimate a cartridge, the .25 might be weaker than some, but it will still kill you. You dont have to have a 50mm JHP to kill a bad guy, all you need is a gun and the ability to shoot it.

The Raven .25 is the 4th most used gun in crimes, so crooks obviously don't feel underarmed with it.

Never overestimate a cartridge either.

Criminal use of a gun, pointing it at innocent unarmed people during the commission of a crime, has a far different expectation of operability, reliability, and terminal ballistics than one that will be used for self defense.

1. The crime gun served its purpose adequately if it just scares the people into giving you want you want. You aren't underarmed if what you have trumps what they have (nothing).

2. The personal protection handgun is being relied upon to make a violent criminal stop his evil ways quickly enough that you or a loved one aren't seriously injured or killed in the process.

No comparison.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Either 25acp or 22mag FMJ should penetrate about 13-15" in gel if you give them at least 2" of barrel.
    In .22LR, at around a 2" bbl, you'll probably see less than 10" penetration (likely around 8").

Where in the world did you get that idea? There's not a chance it's penetrating 13" in ballistic gel. No way. I read an article about a cell phone stopping the .25.

For those guys who can't control a 380 a 25ACP would be just great. A 25 in your pocket beats a 380 in the glove box. I dare just one of those guys dissing the 25 to stand there and let me empty a mag in to them if it's so under powered. While you are fumbling for that 380 in the back of your undies I'll put 5 of these 25's between your eyes and one in your big toe so they'll have a place to thread the toe tag...

This argument always irks me. Of course I don't want to get shot with a .25. Don't want to get stabbed with a knife, either, but I don't believe the knife is an effective self defense weapon.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I can't understand why anyone would want a 25acp.
    If you are looking for a pistol for plinking the 22lr is a lot better. Price the ammo and you will see.
    For self defense this is the worst round you could pick. If you are wanting a small pistol with lite recoil look into the 32acp. I'm not a fun of the 32 but it is a lot better.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    The advantage of the .25 acp over the .22 rimfire is that a center fire is more reliable then a rimfire long term. While I prefer the .32 if I had to go that small, I have and would carry one again if that is all I had.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I can see it now:

Crook with .25 ACP: Give me yo wallet foo!
    INGOer: Is that a .25ACP?
    Crook: Give me yo wallet be fo I blast ya A$$!
    INGOer: That is, isn't it....
    Crook: I said now!
    INGOer: Lets trade, I've got a .45ACP! :draw: Now GIVE ME your ID.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Had one 25 caliber years ago. My advice, would be to by a brick and
    carry it with you. It would be much more effective.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Where in the world did you get that idea? There's not a chance it's penetrating 13" in ballistic gel. No way. I read an article about a cell phone stopping the .25.

He gets that idea from reality, not hearsay:
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/CCI Blazer and Sellier and Bellot FMJ.html

This tells us that you will have a much higher energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty .25 caliber handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5,381.25 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 145.34 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

This HAS to be a joke. Its not printed in sarcasm purple, but i would like to think that nobody would ACTUALLY believe that throwing something as light as a pocket pistol could possibly compare to being shot with a BULLET. :dunno:

For those of you still putting the .22 on a pedastal, read this:
    North American Arms

That's actual EMPIRICAL data for .22lr in a 2" barrel. You will notice, when you plug those REAL numbers into a ballistic computer, that a CCI Mini Mag has no ballistic advantage to a standard 45grain 25 load. Not even a SINGLE foot pound. Even the mighty Velocitor, for all the hype, produces a measly 9 foot pounds more than a standard 25acp factory load... hand loads for the 25acp can safely exceed 800fps with a 50 grain, and 1000 fps with a 35 grain bullet; exceeding the energy numbers of the Velocitor from the same 2" barrel (see LoadData.com - Ammunition Reloading Data, Supply and Equipment. Over 100k Loads Currently Listed. )

Again, I'm not a 25 user, but to pretend that the 25 is anything less than a deadly weapon is extremely foolish, and sends the wrong message. The data is there to support the 25 as a viable Backup gun, or ultralight carry piece for those who care to LOOK at real world data, and keep an open mind.

A gun is a gun, is a gun. The elitism is foolish. Use what suits you, and learn to shoot it.

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    This HAS to be a joke. Its not printed in sarcasm purple, but i would like to think that nobody would ACTUALLY believe that throwing something as light as a pocket pistol could possibly compare to being shot with a BULLET. :dunno:

I think you're right. Although it's interesting to work out the energy transferred by the two different projectiles, that's only part of the story. A bullet may transfer less energy when fired, compared with the thrown pistol--but that energy will be transferred to a much smaller area, i.e., the area impacted by the bullet rather than a broader, blunt surface of the gun itself.

I guess another example could be a knife. Say you took a knife and pushed it into a person blade first, then flipped it over and pushed using the handle, applying the same exact amount of force each time. Obviously, stabbing someone with the pointy end is going to do more damage, despite the exact same amount of energy transferred. Even if you pushed twice as hard when using the handle, the blade would still be more effective.

Don't get me wrong--I do agree that one should carry the largest caliber that one can reliably and accurately shoot, and successfully conceal, if that is important to the situation. I certainly prefer carrying my Glock or my S&W .357 magnum, compared to a .22 or .25, or .32, etc. But that doesn't mean that a small-caliber gun is useless, or that it would literally be a better weapon when it's simply thrown.

Of course, we also have to consider that the effect of a firearm on its target has a lot to do with the target, too. The physical and psychological conditioning of the target is difficult to assess or predict. And, of course, shot placement is hugely important.

Some people will crumple and give up immediately when hit with a .22 Short; some will try to keep attacking even when hit with multiple shots from a bigger caliber. Of course, in a self-defense scenario, one would want every possible advantage to maximize the chance of mounting a successful defense. But for some applications, a smaller caliber may be appropriate. The smallest gun I carry is my NAA Guardian, chambered in .32NAA (not .32ACP), which I believe is likely to be more effective than the .380 version. But I really only carry this pistol when I feel that I HAVE to pocket carry; if possible I prefer IWB carry of my .357, or my G19 in a paddle holster if I'm wearing more clothing.

My original thought with this thread was that I'd kind of like to have something even smaller than my Guardian for very low-risk situations like mowing my yard. I continue to think about the NAA Pug in this situation; .22 magnum shotshells might be nice to carry against the odd snake or rodent, or regular .22 magnum hollowpoints for coyotes (or mountain lions?--yikes!)

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette

I read a few months ago where someone calculated that throwing a baseball at like 90mph has a higher Taylor KO factor than a lot of popular rifle rounds. This is just an example of how to have fun with math and "prove" things that logically make no sense at all. It can be entertaining though.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had a Raven .25ACP for years, (I know many will poke fun at this). The gun was cheap, the ammo is not. I have always used it as a back-up weapon. It has never jammed or failed to fire, so I consider it to be quite reliable. I do agree with some of the other posts, that a .22 may be a better way to go.

Top Bottom