.25 auto carry pistol.....better than nothing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Just curious to hear member responses to this question...Is carrying a .25 auto for personal defense "better than having nothing at all"?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just curious to hear member responses to this question...Is carrying a .25 auto for personal defense "better than having nothing at all"?

I stopped carrying my .25acp when KelTec came out with their .32acp and .380 in the same size as most .25acp pocket guns.

.25acp is better than nothing at all, but like all mouse calibers it's not a gun you are going to use to stop a threat immediately. I view it as a "put the gun in the attacker's face and empty the magazine and run like hell" gun. It's to make noise and buy me enough time to get away. Since you can get .32acp guns in the same size and capacity and recoil, it's a better choice.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    A friend I grew up with was killed with a .25 ...

As with any and all guns ..it is all about SHOT PLACEMENT ....

I carried a .25 years and felt safe at all times ..
    The only reason I stopped was I got an LCP ..

I will agree with most everyone even a .22 is better than a .25 most anything is .

But if you are a bad shot your a bad shot no matter what you carry ..

I would rather hit them between the eyes with a .22 than hit them in the foot with a .45:patriot::twocents:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I suppose its better than nothing. Just assume that its a single shot and be pleasantly surprised if it offers you a second shot

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Yes, becuase most people dont carry guns. If you shoot at someone with anything they are going to run the opposite direction screaming like a little girl. (me included)

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    It's all relative. Better than a pointy stick, not as good as a .380 if all things are equal. Bigger caliber equals bigger guns (usually) and people then tend to pick and choose when to carry it.
    If you stuck a .25acp in my face, I would run like hell to get away. You could stick a cannon in others and they wouldn't have the sense to know when to disengage.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The old joke (If you shoot someone with a .25 and they find out about it they are going to be pretty danged mad at you!) aside, anything is always better than nothing. .25 is the absolutely least effective caliber, even worse than .22lr.:ar15:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Anything is better than nothing at all; a knife, a set of car keys, a stick; so yes, a 25 acp is better than nothing at all, and is a nice thing to carry when you can't carry a gun (couldn't resist ;)).

Very tiny guns do have their place, and fill a niche, we just need to be mindful of their limitations. There are many accounts of where .25 acp failed miserably (but don't ask me to stand in front of one!). There are also accounts where it worked amazingly well, and far better than it really should. It's all a question of probability.

The non-expanding 25 acp bullets I've seen tested usually penetrate 10-15", so that could be enough if you put it in the right spot. I recommend 50 gr FMJ. I worry about the little autos jamming, so I like an 8 oz. 22 mag revolver w/a 2" bbl. Although the rimfire ignition of the .22 mag isn't as reliable as a centerfire primer, I think it's a positive tradeoff.

Links:
    .25ACP - page 1 (older)
    .25ACP - page 2 (newer)
    Terminal Performance of Quik-Shok, CCI Stinger and Remington Viper .22 LR Ammunition
    .25 ACP Winchester 45gr Expanding Point (Beretta 20)

Last edited:

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Yes, becuase most people dont carry guns. If you shoot at someone with anything they are going to run the opposite direction screaming like a little girl. (me included)

Quoted for truth. I wouldn't choose to carry one into battle, but if someone attacked me on the street and I were forced to defend myself I wouldn't choose to submit or fight empty-handed if I had a .25 in my pocket. And if a bad guy pointed a .25 at me and demanded my wallet, chances are I would be very respectful as I handed it over.

With that said, if I intended to carry a gun and a .25 was the only thing available to me, I would upgrade as soon as I could.

(Note that I have never actually shot a .25, but I've read a lot of INGO, so I'm probably right :D )

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The are many many variable with shooting people. I would not "expect" any caliber to cause someone to burst into flames. Bullets cause penetrating wounds mostly to the circulatory system which the hunters here can attest can take a long time to kill. Seldom to they prohibit limb movement and locomotion, the two things that allow an attacker to attack.

Recently I acquired a Kel Tec 380. I am now carrying it when other wise I would not be carrying a gun. Like when wearing PT shorts messing around in the yard. All handguns are for digging your way out of a hole. The best way to survive is to not step in the hole in the first place.

Within five yards without any cover I train to attack the attack. Pretty much the same thing as being cornered. You cannot safetly retreat so you make it save. Fight like a cat to get away, not like a dog to win. I don't have any misconceptions about the little gun. It would likely be used to shoot someone off of me. It is far from a dualing pistol. My primary targets would be contact shots up and under the sternum and into the femoral artery. Would the pistol jam, quite possibley. That is why you focus on the fight and not the tool. I would use the pistol in conjunction with open hand combatives.

Lots of people are killed with 22s, 25, and 380s. Of course most of them take one to the dome at point blank range by another drug dealer. You don't need to kill the bad guy, you need to make him stop long enough to break contact and get away. He may not burst into flames on the spot but he will be a hell of a lot less likely to want to chase you down the street.- George

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yes, becuase most people dont carry guns.

This got me to thinking . . . always a dangerous thing btw ;), is this really true and relevant?

Intuitively, this statement is true enough for the population as a whole, and for law-biding folks in particular. We know this is true in Indiana based on LTCH numbers/stastics.

However, these groups (the population as a whole, and law-abiding folks) are not the demographic we should be concerned about, are they? What we should be asking ourselves is:

What are the statistics for the "people" who commit violent crimes?
    Are most of them armed or not?

These seem to be salient questions and got me to looking around a bit.

Here is a link to an interesting survey of 1,800 convicted felons done some years ago (1986).

The Armed Criminal in America

Highlighs of the survey's results:

1. Only 39% of the felons in this survey were unarmed criminals.
    2. Therefore 61% (or "most") are armed in some way when they commit their crimes.
    3. The "armed - not with a gun group" was 11% (typically using knives or improvised, at hand weapons), leaving 50% armed with a firearm of some type.
    4. The results of this study indicate that the felons identified as gun predators are overwhelmingly the most active criminals in the sample.

So, if you're in a violent confrontation with a criminal, usually, that criminal will be armed; and probably with something more potent than a 25 acp at close quarters (even a knife qualifies in this regard).

Therefore, personally, I would not feel comfortable planning to routinely carry just, and only, a 25 acp for defensive purposes (unless forced to), since it is likely that if attacked by a criminal, that criminal will be better armed, and I would essentially be planning to be out-armed.

Better than nothing - still yes.
    Adequate - maybe.
    Superior or on even par with the weaponry of your attacker - probably not.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Slightly.

There are far better choices. If size is a concern, there are very good quality .32s and .380s in the same size range, as has been pointed out.

If the concern is the cost of a gun, you are much better off with a Hi-Point. Gun snobs sneer, but the guns do tend to work, and 9mm beats the boogers out of .25 ACP.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    the main reason I asked this question is because my father left his Jr colt .25 to me when he past on. It is in excellent condition having only had 50 rounds put through it in the last fifty years or so since he purchased it new. Just thought it would be a nice carry weapon considering it fits into a pocket easily and is minimal in terms of discomfort. Sounds like my little .22 auto might be a more effective choice given the opinions stated in many responses though.:dunno:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    the main reason I asked this question is because my father left his Jr colt .25 to me when he past on. It is in excellent condition having only had 50 rounds put through it in the last fifty years or so since he purchased it new. Just thought it would be a nice carry weapon considering it fits into a pocket easily and is minimal in terms of discomfort. Sounds like my little .22 auto might be a more effective choice given the opinions stated in many responses though.:dunno:

That really depends on reliability. .22lr is more powerful than the .25acp, marginally, but .22 pocket pistols tend to be less reliable than .25acp pocket pistols because of the rimmed cartridge and the rimfire ignition system. So it's a tossup. You're only talking a few ft-lbs of energy difference. If it were me, I'd be honored to carry a family item like that.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Barely..:D
    I got a good deal on a .25 when I first turned 21, I was amazed at how inaccurate that thing was.
    I thought I would carry it sometimes rather than my 92fs, but got rid of it right away instead. I am now a proud LCP owner.
    I was all around not impressed with the gun, I think it was a Raven. I would never have depended on that gun.
    Yours being a colt though......:dunno: It's worth haveing forsure.:yesway:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

Keep the Colt as a family heirloom and rememberance of your father. Maybe shoot it in his honor a few times per year.
    Carry something more likley to be able to end a threat if you can afford to.
    Like Joe said a HiPoint 9mm is a servicable self-defense gun if you're on a budget and aren;t a corksniffer. Having shot sevral HiPoint C-9's I can tell you I'd take one of them over a high dollar .25 or .22lr anytime.:twocents:

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    The best that can be said for .25 is that it is a gun and it fires bullets. BUT put a hole in anyone if it be a .25, 9mm or a pencil, and it changes their attitude real quick.

Top Bottom