• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    This is the 3rd time at writing this because my computer is junk and starting to really UPSET ME! This is my first try at reloading and do not want to blow anything up or hurt anyone so asking for a little help. I have Nosler CC 6.8mm (.277) 115gr HPBT/CANN bullets and Partition Gold 270 (.277) 150gr spitzer bullets, the powder I have is H414. I cannot find load data in the books I have for these combos, can someone give me a starting point?

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Too bad about your computer.. I've not reloaded for the 270, so I'm not going to give advice. This is straight from the Hodgon site. I copied the 120 info for your 115's.

Bullet Weight120 GR. BAR XFB
    120 GR. BAR XFB
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder H414
    Bullet Diameter .277"
    C.O.L. 3.270"
    Starting Load
    Grains 49.0
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,814
    Pressure 43,100 CUP
    Maximum Load
    Grains 53.0
    Velocity (ft/s) 3,017
    Pressure 51,100 CUP

Bullet Weight150 GR. HDY SP
    150 GR. HDY SP
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder H414
    Bullet Diameter .277"
    C.O.L. 3.285"
    Starting Load
    Grains 45.0
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,569
    Pressure 45,000 CUP
    Maximum Load
    Grains 48.0
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,706
    Pressure 51,200 CUP

Last edited:

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    if this is your first attempt at reloading, why not find a recipe thats in your book and start with that? i dont see the sense in trying something not published in your nosler manual for a first load. nosler lists data for 140gr and 130gr bullets with H414. why not find some of those to start with or a different powder with your current bullets?

sponge80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Monrovia
    To be honest I hadn't thought about getting another powder, I was looking for hornady SST 130gr but the sites I was looking at had none in stock and local reloading shop didn't either. The owner of shop sold me these out of his stash and I just assumed either the Lee book or Hornady book would have data for them.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    i'd recommend a trip to Profire. you'll leave with components that work well, accurate and safe load data, and perhaps a new "go to" source for your needs.

At any rate I'm sure if you stick to the data from Hodgon you'll be safe.

i do not understand this statement. you give load data for hornady and barnes bullets and tell someone they'll be safe if they stick to that data. 120 grains is not across the chart universal load data.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    @ the OP:

The data shown above is probably safe. However, reloading data is something you simply DO NOT GET second-hand. You need to find data that you can personally verify, and double-check, yourself. That really isn't very difficult to do.

When YOU find data that works for your components, start low and work up in small increments, watching for signs of pressure as you go. As mentioned, you will likely find best accuracy 1 or 2 grains shy of max. Don't try to squeeze another 100fps out of the load; stop when you find a load that is accurate and safe.

For the record: Both of the gentlemen above are correct, because they both know what they're doing. However, all that really matters is that YOU know what you're doing. Don't rely on Internet hear-say for load data! You need more load books or you need to learn how to search powder/bullet websites for their online published data.

Top Bottom