• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So this was my frist time reloading 270 win.

a4fc527c-8244-4919-aa1b-1c03a67a0ac1_zps152c50fb.jpg

@100 yards
    As you might be able to see there are 3 holes below the green circle and two inside( It looks like one hole but there is 2, you can tell by how much bigger it is than the other holes.)

The 3 at the bottom are my reloads.
    -Barnes Triple-Shoot X-bullet 140grain
    -Hodgdon H4895 @42gr

The two hitting the bullseye are factory Winchester SuperX 130grain

So I guess my questions are;

Is the ten grain difference of the bullet weight really that drastic @100 yards?

What am I doing wrong?

I am going to change the bullet to probably a Hornady 130gr and also change the powder to the IMR 4895(I believe the Hornady books suggests it)

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Is the ten grain difference of the bullet weight really that drastic @100 yards?

What am I doing wrong?

Without even looking at your result I would have expected a difference in the point of impact for the 2 different loads. At first glance it does look like a big difference, but that is the result. IMHO, you have a nice group and starting point. The factory load 2-shot group is impressive, but it is just that- 2 shots. If you could get a group that tight with 5 rounds then I would say your rifle really likes that specific factory load and you personally have good shooting/marksmanship technique, etc. Going forward, that result could be a benchmark- "this rifle shoots well with this load, etc"

Whatever the bullet weight/powder combination, try a variety of powder charges. Try a spread of 1.5 grains or so. 5 rounds at 41.5, 5 at 42.0, and 5 at 42.5, etc. (Check your manual- I don't know what the max is for that bullet weight/powder/primer combo.) You may find a "sweet spot" for your rifle that stands out. It might be that your rifle shoots well with 130 grain bullets, etc.

Someone here can probably speak to changing powders- fast to slower and vice-versa. All things being equal you should be able to, at least, duplicate the accuracy and results of factory loads. The fun and challenge is discovering the best combination.

I don't see anything wrong at this point. Have fun!

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    So this was my frist time reloading 270 win.

a4fc527c-8244-4919-aa1b-1c03a67a0ac1_zps152c50fb.jpg

@100 yards
    As you might be able to see there are 3 holes below the green circle and two inside( It looks like one hole but there is 2, you can tell by how much bigger it is than the other holes.)

The 3 at the bottom are my reloads.
    -Barnes Triple-Shoot X-bullet 140grain
    -Hodgdon H4895 @42gr

The two hitting the bullseye are factory Winchester SuperX 130grain

What am I doing wrong?

I am going to change the bullet to probably a Hornady 130gr and also change the powder to the IMR 4895(I believe the Hornady books suggests it)

First of all if your looking for a 5 shot one hold group I doubt you'll ever get it. There are not many rifle manufactures that will guarantee a 1 MOA rifle. If they do it is with a specific ammunition. I looks like you have a hair over a 1" group now.
    Point of impact will usually change due to the harmonics of the rifle (barrel flex/whip) and the exact time the bullet leaves the muzzle.
    Trying different powder weights as PappyD said may help but it looks like your already doing really well. :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There's nothing wrong with you bullet or powder (But 4350 or 4831 are going to be better overall powders for the 270, filling the case and getting better velocity... and filling the case will help accuracy too.)

Research OCW (optimum charge weight) testing, take your time, work up, and good luck.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As Kludge suggested, 4895 is a faster powder than you really want to use for your 270 Winchester. What's more, that 42 grains of H4895, under a 130gr Triple-Shock X-Bullet looks to be a starting charge. Even seated .050" off the lands, that is a very mild load, generating ~45,000psi. I'm not at all surprised they are considerably low on the target. I imagine a chronograph would show them to be a couple hundred feet slower than the factory stuff.

If you're going to try other bullets in your 270, give the 140 grain pills a long look. They provide an excellent blend of muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient and sectional density. If you go with a premium style bullet, like the Nosler Accubond, you'll have a bullet you can hunt everything from peccary to bull elk with. Seat them over a middling to near-max charge of H4831SC and you'll have a great combination.

You're not doing anything "wrong", per se. Different bullets, even with identical weights, will not often fly to the same point of impact. That would be a happy accident, if they did. You should always expect to adjust your sights/scope when switching to a different bullet. During the testing phase, it doesn't matter if bullets hit the bullseye...only that they group together well. The group can also be "moved" by adjusting the sights. I never want my bullets to hit the bullseye at 100 yards, anyway...I sight in so they hit about 3" high, giving me the maximum point-blank range for hunting.

I would suggest that your choice of powder is also not wrong, but certainly far from ideal. I like H4895 in a lot of cartridges, but it's really too fast to be optimal in the 270 Winchester.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    While we're on the subject of accuracy and the .270 - I have a Savage in .270. An "older" model produced before the new accu-trigger. It does shoot pretty good groups but I'd like to start doing some reloading for it. The question is which manufacturer of dies to consider for best reloads ? Or is there that much difference ?

I normally buy the three die sets. I generally buy the Lee dies. I've not had RCBS or other brands like Forstner (sp?). I believe there also specialty seating dies. I don't plan to shoot the shells out of more than one gun so I will neck size only.

Suggestions ?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Fail to see the problem. You aren't going to punch one hole groups using handloads with different bullet weights. The fastest powder I would use in .270 is IMR-4064.

Also, if your factory ammo shoots like that, I wouldn't even bother reloading.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    While we're on the subject of accuracy and the .270 - I have a Savage in .270. An "older" model produced before the new accu-trigger. It does shoot pretty good groups but I'd like to start doing some reloading for it. The question is which manufacturer of dies to consider for best reloads ? Or is there that much difference ? I normally buy the three die sets. I generally buy the Lee dies. I've not had RCBS or other brands like Forstner (sp?). I believe there also specialty seating dies. I don't plan to shoot the shells out of more than one gun so I will neck size only.

Suggestions ?

My die for 270 is a RCBS 2 die set. Work great I think, I've never had any problem. Also have an RCBS in 223 and it also works great.

I use hornady bullets for all my other loads so I think Im going to switch over to hornady for my 270 and down to 130gr. Also use IMR 4831.

Thanks for all the advice, thats why I love INGO!

Top Bottom