• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    New book series by author Glen Tate. Not trying to sell the book here, but is a great read. Thought I would share. Found out about the book series from another forum (TSP) an am totally hooked. It has opened my eyes even wider to many things and many things I could be doing better. I haven’t read a fiction book in over 15 years and this is the first and can’t put it down. Is about preparedness and a potential collapse of the US world as we know it. Wife and daughter also reading and hooked. If you are reading or have read let me know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    New book series by author Glen Tate. Not trying to sell the book here, but is a great read. Thought I would share. Found out about the book series from another forum (TSP) an am totally hooked. It has opened my eyes even wider to many things and many things I could be doing better. I haven’t read a fiction book in over 15 years and this is the first and can’t put it down. Is about preparedness and a potential collapse of the US world as we know it. Wife and daughter also reading and hooked. If you are reading or have read let me know.

Someone told me about that book and I had forgotten until now. Thanks for reminding me.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    No worries... Is a great book. The author is very active on the TSP forum and answers questions about the book. There is actually a thread dedicated to each book. Hate to take traffic from here, but kinda cool being able to discuss the book with the author.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Great! Thanks for the tip. Always looking for new survival fiction.

I just finished "The Dog Stars". It was good post-flu-apocalypse fiction. You guys should check that one out. Peter heller wrote that one.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok so I went and bought this yesterday. Just finished chapter 4 and I gotta say; not impressed. The story may get good but so far it's all background. The writing style is immature and lacks any real literary quality. The characters are black and white as are the issues etc. As I just paid $10 and can probably finish it in a day or so, I intend to finish it but if you haven't bought it yet I might reconsider. I will post a full review on completion.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    save your money for November...............................

Hey, Longbow....
    tumblr_m7772p6K0Z1qdq433.jpg

BBK76858

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Liked Book 1

So I finished “The Preparation” in the 299 days series and loved it. Both me and my husband are survivalist/preppers and reading this book not only backed up some of the things we are doing in our own lives but also gave us ideas for what other things we could do. Once again it is suppose to be FICTION but I felt I got a lot out of it. I thought the characters were well defined and the fact that the main character Grant used is crappy childhood and used those experiences to make himself stronger and to prepare for his prepping lifestyle. Yes is may seem black and white to some out there but that is probably because you have already been prepping for longer period. I liked how he got a community put together in that if something like this happened we will need to have a group larger than just immediate family to survive something of this nature. I have already started the second book and cannot wait for the rest of the series.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok, so here is the lowdown on this book.
    First of all, I am not arguing with the major concepts of this book which are;
    1. We are nearly in deep S***
    2. Prepping is necessary
    3. The manner in which the main character preps.

What I am disappointed in is 2 fold;
    1. The art of the story
    2. Some of the author's personal bias and hypocrisy

This book, once it gets started, is a reasonably good fictional description or set of instructions for a beginning prepper. I will give him that.

The plot of the book is not bad. Its pretty typical of all major meltdown stories and it is realistic enough. After that, he pretty much lost me. The language is immature and it goes back and forth from sounding like a report written by a disinterested author to dialogue that seems written by a junior high girl. Everything is "so" this or "so" that. He writes like my 2nd graders talk. It goes from canned to cliche, but never to clever or witty. The sentence structure is usually passive and often the sentences at the end of the paragraph is a wasted phrase telling the reader exactly what they just finished reading in the above paragraph. Either he thinks the readers are idiots or he didn't let the story tell itself and had to narrate the plot exposition for us.

The main character leads a charmed life. Everything he needs drops out of heaven for him. Kind of like the voices he hears. Is this supposed to be divine communication? I get that he "became a Christian," but he hardly seems devout enough to be God's messenger and God doesn't seem to tell him to help anyone else, just to be ready for himself. Not really buying into this either.

The characters are very 2-dimensional. Each character fits neatly into the idiom of their particular stereotype. The main character is all but schizophrenic in his relationship with his wife. "I love her so so so so much but she treats me like a jerk, and she isn't interested in anything I am, and I really prefer to be out of the house." I don't actually get that he loves her at all. The fact that he can't or won't tell her about the prepping is probably the major tell.

He tells his daughter deliberate half truths so that she will trust him because she thinks he is "magic." Seriously? He keeps talking about doing things that will buy him credibility but the basic things that buy credibility are honesty and integrity, and his "trust capital" is going to be at an all time low after his wife finds out about the lies.

Ok, so on to the philosophy. The author can't decide who he hates more, the white class wealthy people or the progressives who wan't to take the money away from the white class wealthy people. Of course white class people that shoot and prep seem to be ok in his book, but the main character sterotypes the upper and upper middle class pretty heavily. Clearly his book was not meant for educated people, but come on.

Finally, the guy is actually excited to have to live off of his preps. I get that he thinks the system needs a reboot, but wanting the world to decend into anarchy in order to justify his prepping and say "I told you so" to his wife seem to be his major issues.

The main character is a selfish, stereotyping, uninteresting, cliche. The only reason I kept reading it was because I said I'd review it on here and to see if he had any insights into prepping that I hadn't considered. Outside of getting a personal guardian angel, I'm not sure that there was. Apologies to the author who probably meant to get an intorductory prep lesson out there to the uninitiated, but this book was really bad. If I hadn't bought it on Kindle, I'd be trying to sell it back and recoup some of the $10 I paid for it.

Honestly, it was like "patriots" on a 1st grade reading level and throw in a little magic and some luck in place of long term planning and knowledge.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Just an FYI Glen Tate the author gave me a bunch if bookmarks to hand out at the prepper store Indiana Self Defense. Stop in and pick one up. They are free.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I hadn't heard of this series until seeing this video, have the first two on the way

[video=youtube_share;leRSCKl6e1Q]http://youtu.be/leRSCKl6e1Q[/video]

Top Bottom