• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Like others have said, at 2k, you have plenty of great options. Along with what others have said, take a look at some of spikes tactical's offers. Mid length is a procen and reliable system that doesnr beat the gun up like a carbine length does. Also, im going to be the "build your own" guy if your a habitual tinker like I am and with your budget you could build one hell of a rifle with the exact parts or features you want. Happy hunting.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Look at BCM and spikes and santan tactical I heard about them from a guy who worked at Profire, the hard part is choking a company to go with took me a few years and lots of questions and my budget for my build will be 2k also minus optics

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Just go with a BCM, no need to overthink it. Go with the BFH hammer forged barrel in the length/gas system and handguard of your choosing and you'll never have to think about your rifle again. Drop in a Geissele SSA or SSA/E trigger. A2 birdcage is fine, or add the muzzle device you prefer. Put your T-1 or 2 in a quality mount (LaRue/Bobro/etc) and you're done.

Enjoy your training.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just go with a BCM, no need to overthink it. Go with the BFH hammer forged barrel in the length/gas system and handguard of your choosing and you'll never have to think about your rifle again. Drop in a Geissele SSA or SSA/E trigger. A2 birdcage is fine, or add the muzzle device you prefer. Put your T-1 or 2 in a quality mount (LaRue/Bobro/etc) and you're done.

Enjoy your training.
    ^This^ right here. BCM is just the ticket for the OP's criteria as stated.
    The expectations are to be a reliable, hearty rifle I can run in some quality training classes and regularly practice w/ on my own.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008

Enjoy your training.
    This man speaks the truth.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All great input. I appreciate it.
    I'll look into JP. I haven't heard of them.
    Ammo and mags are on hand and training is the plan. My current carbine would not make it through a class without being a complete frustration and drag on the class.

The expectations are to be a reliable, hearty rifle I can run in some quality training classes and regularly practice w/ on my own. I shoot ARs 600rnds/yr as a hobby on the proverbial 'flat range pretty days' ... half of what a weekend class would put though them.
    I want to be a competent handler and trust my tool.
    I'm primarily a pistol guy and want to be more well-rounded.

Y'all're the best.

The 20" Colt will. You aren't likely to do better in any appreciable way.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Here is one of the best "off the rack" guns produced currently. Comes standard with the famous cold hammer forged barrel, keymod rail, muzzlebrake and a Geissele Automatics Super Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger. The only thing the rifle needs is an optic and the new Vortex SPARC AR has you covered for a very nice reasonably priced red dot. At street prices this entire package would run right at your 2K budget.

Vortex Optics - SPARC® AR Red Dot
    https://danieldefense.com/firearms/rifle-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v11-pro.html

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    The great options keep coming. I truly appreciate the feedback. DD and Colt are now in the mix. I won't spend the $ if it isn't needed.
    Sorry I can't respond to PMs as a greenhorn.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I wonder what these whiz-bang high dollar rifles do that my lower priced rifles don't do....thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Not sure what the extra money buys, perhaps they are self-cleaning.

Spend the money on training and ammo. You can have an awesome new rifle for $700 or less. Spend more and it is just wasted.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    May all be in my head, but I liked the smoothness & feel of my BCM Uppers on my own built lowers (Spikes or TBRC Stripped Lowers, Gieselle SSA or Wilson Combat or POF triggers, Spikes/BCM Buffer kits) so much better than my RRA or DPMS, they've since been sold off. I've recently started building my own uppers as well, & like them just as well.

If I were to buy completed again, I'd go with Daniel Defense or Bravo Company, maybe Barrett. Really like Spikes Crusader as well.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I am happy with my Barrett Rec7. It is the flyweight version so it is very lightweight. I was able to get for well under your budget.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I wonder what these whiz-bang high dollar rifles do that my lower priced rifles don't do....thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Not sure what the extra money buys, perhaps they are self-cleaning.

Spend the money on training and ammo. You can have an awesome new rifle for $700 or less. Spend more and it is just wasted.

Speaking for myself, I draw a distinction between "whiz bang" and "high dollar."

In a "high dollar" rifle I expect high quality components, a higher level of QA/QC, and excellent support if there is a problem. A "high dollar" rifle will be an accurate and reliable in all respects; and will never put the shooter at a disadvantage when compared to similar rifles. That's about it.

A "whiz bang" rifle may (or may not) have quality components, good QA/QC and support... but it will be more focused in its intended application. A one trick pony, as it were.

I build my own AR's, so I take and happily accept responsibility for accuracy, reliability, QA/QC, and support. That said, my goal is to build myself BCM/DD/Noveske level rifles. But many people prefer to buy complete rifles, and the OP appears to fall in that category. He might be able to buy a $700 rifle from (as an example) PSA that is reliable and accurate if he does his due diligence (PSA, PSA Premium, P-Tac, etc.) and waits for a sale, but he'll never get BCM-grade support from PSA... it's just not what they do. I have a 12" PSA barrel that I'm very happy with, but it's FN hammer forged "machine gun" steel which is an entirely different animal from their P-Tac line of barrels.

Years ago I bought a complete Rock River AR. Compared to the USGI triggers I was familiar with, the RR 2-stage was great. Then the hammer snapped at the pivot pin after 2 years/4-5k rounds. Rock River "offered" to sell me a new one... completely appropriate by what's stated in their warranty, but completely unacceptable by my standards of AR reliability; a hammer should not break at that round count unless there was a flaw in design or execution. That single incident ultimately lead me to Geissele, which is (IMO) a better feeling trigger, several of which have way over 5k rounds with no issues. Yes, they cost more. But I have 7 of them and none have broken and I'm sure that if one does I'll have a replacement part on the way in very short order. And I'm willing to pay for that.

YMMV

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Shot my buddy's LaRue rifle... it's nice, but the degree of diminished return is enormous. The same can be said for all of the premium/ boutique makers.

IMO people pay these prices as a lucky charm to set their minds at ease about reliability, and/ or to show off to their friends. I'm not worried about either of those.

I've only had an AR malfunction on me twice, and that was my Colt M4 during basic training. I had a double feed from a worn out range trash GI magazine (during qualification no less), and got an empty chamber shooting under powered blanks in burst mode.

Never had a civilian model AR15 fail me. Not even my DPMS, not even shooting steel case, not even rolling around in the dirt.

As long as you buy from a major manufacturer you are fine. If something breaks, who cares? The parts are cheap and easy to replace - just do your due diligence and put a decent amount of rounds down range before you bet your life on it.

Just buy a normal AR and put your money into more mags and ammo first, and a better optic second.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...gth-16-rifle-sku100-018-335-81838-174289.aspx

Add in $200 or so for a good stock and grip. Up to another $200 for a good quality free-float rail. $100-150 for quality BUS. $250-500 for a quality red dot. Add mags and ammo and you're ready to rock.

So, looking at it that way, you are at around $1,050-1,100 for a complete rifle. I bought a DD for $1,200. Spending an extra $100 got a new factory built rifle. It's hard to justify a partially built rifle unless you happen to have the parts sitting around.
    I'm not criticizing anyone who goes this route, but that may not be the best deal out there when you really look at it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Buy a new Colt 6920 for $850 and then mags/ammo/training. Donde. :) BCM's are excellent but it doesn't take $2K to get a good ar. IMO But if you don't want a Colt then yes a BCM, or Spikes Tactical LE model, are what most would go with. PSA is great for the price but usually long waits and CS is surely slow/lacking. Or maybe a Daniel Defense carbine, they're smooth so I hear.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am happy with my Barrett Rec7. It is the flyweight version so it is very lightweight. I was able to get for well under your budget.

Did the Rec 7 Gen-II in 6.8 SPC. Mine is the DMR. Out of the range but I see Barretts going for less than $2K used on GB. The DMR version is not light by any means though. Added a Vortex and Harris bipod so that upped the weight some as well.

Plenty of great suggestions on this thread though.

Top Bottom