• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have only had a few Officers and ended up selling or trading them all. I have a Wilson Combat Stealth I carry frequently, which has the Officer frame but the 4" slide. I still prefer the full size frame of a Commander. But I do want one of the Dan Wesson ECOs.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    While it's a commander-length 1911, my S&W 1911 SC-E round butt is on its way back to the mothership due to the plunger tube coming unhinged by the safety. I know the OP is asking about 3" models, but just a reminder that while plunger tubes working loose isn't a common issue on any particular length, the bit of research I've done points to this being more of a problem with alloy frames where it's staked into place. It will end your range trip early, I promise. :(

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I carried a Colt officer's model--in warm weather--for about 20 years because it was more concealable than many compact 9mm's. As for reliability, it did go through recoil springs, so my MO was "carry a lot, shoot a little" and used my gov't model for most of my practice. I would not trust a 3" 1911 that I shot a lot because when something goes wrong, Murphy says it will be when it really counts.

I was looking into getting a commander length slide/barrel and officer model grip combo, but arthritis told me check out 9mm's instead.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend stopped by last night. He had traded into a 3" 1911 because it was cute/cool.
    He had nothing but issues with it. 1st round off would not chamber no matter what mag used. Half loaded mag it was OK.
    He said it was a jam-0-matic. I just smiled.

It will be in the mail back to the factory today I am sure.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Thanks for all of the help fellas. You may have stopped me from making a painful mistake. I'll be on the look out for a good 4" Commander with either a 6 or 7 round grip length (probably 6) and take the hit on concealability.

Although, the older I'm getting, the less I've been worried about printing or accidentally open carrying; so maybe it's not that big of a deal after all.

But MAN to those officer models look and feel great. It's just too bad.
    I think I fell in love with them after watching Al Pacino's in HEAT. Small, Powerful, Shootable, Unreliable. If only someone could figure it out for $1000 or less.
    Series80Heat.jpg

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I actually came to this sub to see if there were any 3" 1911 posts and this was near the top. It was nice to read everyone's thoughts. I was kind of wanting to get a small 1911 to carry more than my Sig P238. I've had my P238 for several years now and a couple years after I bought it they released the P938. I like that I can carry the gun in basketball shorts due to it's size and weight but I would still like to get something that packs a little more punch to carry regularly. I have a full size 1911 and love it but I don't love the comfort for IWB. Maybe I just need a new holster?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I actually came to this sub to see if there were any 3" 1911 posts and this was near the top. It was nice to read everyone's thoughts. I was kind of wanting to get a small 1911 to carry more than my Sig P238. I've had my P238 for several years now and a couple years after I bought it they released the P938. I like that I can carry the gun in basketball shorts due to it's size and weight but I would still like to get something that packs a little more punch to carry regularly. I have a full size 1911 and love it but I don't love the comfort for IWB. Maybe I just need a new holster?

Probably a new holster and belt you need a really good stiff belt when carrying a government 1911.

https://www.thebeltman.net/

versa Max 2| Milt Sparks Holsters

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I have a full size 1911 and love it but I don't love the comfort for IWB. Maybe I just need a new holster?

I carried IWB in the Raven in this picture daily for many years. It is pictured set up for OWB, but I have soft loops to make it IWB that I'd throw in. Good price also on the Raven appendix carry for full sized 1911 also.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ers-1911-ruger-mki-mkiii-g34.html#post7225800

QCBAw1q.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How does the Milt Sparks compare to something like a Crossbreed or Alien Gear holster?

I will use this text as an example

Milt Sparks (they are the best full stop end of story)

Crossbreed (decent entry level popular holster)

Alien Gear (Total garbage please do not ever buy and honestly I should have gone lower for them)

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I will use this text as an example

Milt Sparks (they are the best full stop end of story)

Haha, thanks for the "illustration". I had a friend who had a Crossbreed and enjoyed it but it wasn't for a 1911. I've heard of Milt Sparks for a long time and knew they were good but didn't know how good they were. I figured the Alien Gear was just a knock-off Crossbreed but thanks for confirming it. :laugh:

Top Bottom