• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have an 07 duramax that is in need of some tires. I know I want 10 ply. Mainly I drive on the highway, so gas milage is my biggest concern.

Right now I have 265 firestone transforce's, and they lasted 50k-60k miles, and got good milage. Im not against ordering the same thing in 245, or 265, I just dont want to rule out a possible winner.

Thoughts? A good website to read a comparision?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just put a set of transforce's on my '78 Chevy 3/4. Not many options for me as I've got the original 16.5" wheels. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'm not aware of any other truck tires geared towards highway use, but I also have looked that much into it. I'd check tire rack and discount tire to read reviews.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I run Michelin LTX on my 2009 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton. They also make that tire in an AT2 that look interesting. Orders of magnitude better traction and less noise than the factory Firestones. These are Load E tires.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I run Michelin LTX on my 2009 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton. They also make that tire in an AT2 that look interesting. Orders of magnitude better traction and less noise than the factory Firestones. These are Load E tires.

Thats the other tire Ive been looking . Im probably overthinking the whole thing.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Goodyear Duratracs. I got 50,000 miles out of the last set, which is impressive for a fairly aggressive tire on a 3/4 ton truck. A bit expensive, but being load range E's, they will haul anything the truck can, and they've got the traction for hunting or working in a muddy field. Very good all-around tire.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Goodyear Duratracs. I got 50,000 miles out of the last set, which is impressive for a fairly aggressive tire on a 3/4 ton truck. A bit expensive, but being load range E's, they will haul anything the truck can, and they've got the traction for hunting or working in a muddy field. Very good all-around tire.

Those look pretty aggressive for a good gas milage tire??? I dont much care about mudd ability for a truck tire. Ive got ATV's, and tractor's for that.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I have an 07 duramax that is in need of some tires. I know I want 10 ply. Mainly I drive on the highway, so gas milage is my biggest concern.

Right now I have 265 firestone transforce's, and they lasted 50k-60k miles, and got good milage. Im not against ordering the same thing in 245, or 265, I just dont want to rule out a possible winner.

Thoughts? A good website to read a comparision?

Same tires I run on all of our HD work trucks. Good tires and I am very happy with them.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Those look pretty aggressive for a good gas milage tire??? I dont much care about mudd ability for a truck tire. Ive got ATV's, and tractor's for that.

Its not amazing, but I can get 20mpg on the highway out of an '02 duramax. If you're doing all highway work then it makes sense to get a dedicated road tire. I love how these things do in the snow though. The road tires I had on before these simply would have been stuck on drifted county roads, and these things crawl on through.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    My RAM 2500 came stock with BFG ATs in 2007 and I got an easy 65k miles out of them. My replacement tires were the Goodyear Duratracs and I'm almost to 131k miles on the truck. The Duratracs do make a little more road noise due to the tread pattern but I saw no difference in MPG when switching from the BFGs.

I run 265/70/17s and thinking of stepping up to 285s this fall - I'm in need of a new set.

Mike

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Its not amazing, but I can get 20mpg on the highway out of an '02 duramax. If you're doing all highway work then it makes sense to get a dedicated road tire. I love how these things do in the snow though. The road tires I had on before these simply would have been stuck on drifted county roads, and these things crawl on through.

This truck is almost all highway driving. Its my to, and from show's truck.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I've been running Nitto Terra Grapplers since my Goodyear Wranglers took a dump......been pleased with them.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    This truck is almost all highway driving. Its my to, and from show's truck.

Ive never seriously looked at highway tires for this truck, as it just wouldn't serve me well. But I had a 1/2 ton that I put Michelin road tires on and was very satisfied.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Can't go wrong with Michelin, little more pricey but worth it, IMHO. I run BFGoodrich on my Jeeps and they are excellent.:twocents:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    '03 Duramax 270K miles Farm truck, 5th wheel camper, various trailers, infrequent gravel roads.
    Original Firestone Transforce lasted 70K
    2 sets of Michelin LTX about 60K (less than the supposed guarantee)
    Set of Coopers marginal at 40K miles then one got under inflated like 20 psi for 15 miles. Aired it up and it bubbled and blew out. So out with those and back to...
    Firstone Transforce AT's

For better Highway wear get the HT's

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    '03 Duramax 270K miles Farm truck, 5th wheel camper, various trailers, infrequent gravel roads.
    Original Firestone Transforce lasted 70K
    2 sets of Michelin LTX about 60K (less than the supposed guarantee)
    Set of Coopers marginal at 40K miles then one got under inflated like 20 psi for 15 miles. Aired it up and it bubbled and blew out. So out with those and back to...
    Firstone Transforce AT's

For better Highway wear get the HT's

Any noticable fuel milage diffrence's between the 3?

Top Bottom