• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    So basically you want society to tell criminals, "Hey, you can do literally whatever the heck you want to our law enforcement officers, short of actively trying to kill them; you can beat them up, body slam them head first into concrete, and then resist them putting you into cuffs, and there will be zero physical repercussions, ever. The worst that will happen to you is getting another charge tacked on to whatever else you were being charged with, but if the officers dare lay a finger on you, they'll be punished as if they were the criminals."

Not at all... not sure where I ever typed that, either. I want law enforcement to take the person into custody and for the criminal to get charged with everything humanly possible. No more and no less. Street justice is for Marvel movies.

I empathize with the emotion involved in a highly charged environment. I have no idea how I would react... would I kick the **** out of someone who just resisted me? I hope not, but I don't know. If I did, then I deserve what is coming to me.

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    The thing that angers me the most is being treated like **** because of the actions of others.
    I've heard cops tell each other, "it is the uniform, not you".

I don't know all the answers, but one thing that would seem obvious to me is not look the other way at your peers misbehavior. Other policemen behaving badly, whether you like it or not, will be reflected on you because unfair as it may be, you are not so much an individual, as you are representative of the state. The same way judges are synonymous with "the court".

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've heard cops tell each other, "it is the uniform, not you".

I don't know all the answers, but one thing that would seem obvious to me is not look the other way at your peers misbehavior. Other policemen behaving badly, whether you like it or not, will be reflected on you because unfair as it may be, you are not so much an individual, as you are representative of the state. The same way judges are synonymous with "the court".
    Don't assume that I look the other way. I could make plenty of assumptions about you based on your attitude about cops.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Otherwise when I see LEOs say that bad interactions are "extremely rare" I feel like they are just doing what has been historically true: lying because there isn't evidence and depending on a culture of circling the wagons. It's not true that suddenly, when everyone started carrying a video camera, LEOs started behaving badly.
    "Behaving badly" is not the same thing as blatantly illegal activity. I don't understand the "lying because there isn't evidence" aspect. I'm saying it's extremely rare because it is. There are MILLIONS of police/citizen interactions every year in the US. You want to give me some internet cases and exclaim that it's proof that it's frequent. You will need WAY more cases to prove that assertion.
    I am an professional, white, upper middle-class woman over 50. I don't remember the last time I talked to a LEO outside of small fender-bender I was in. But I am greatly interested in justice and it doesn't serve anyone's best interest to have aggressive, dishonest, uneducated in the law, "us and them", as long as I go home safe tonight cops, out in the world.
    Agree
    Sidebar:
    The lying thing is incomprehensible to me. I think people will try to appeal to the extreme case here so I'll address it. Telling a multiple, child-killing murder suspect you have evidence that you don't to try to elicit a confession or catch an inconsistency is not the most morally reprehensible thing the world. Bullying decent people out their various rights on the street, is.
    Agree
    Getting back to the story. Most of the bad behavior I see online falls into A: ignorance. The lack of training evidenced by the observed behavior is appalling and B: Laziness. Someone calls in a complaint, LE show up and tell the person called upon to stop the complained about behavior because ....uhhhhhhh.... "disturbing the peace.
    Again, "bad behavior" is WAY different than illegal activity that was referred to earlier Yes, there are a TON of lazy-untrained police in the US. Thankfully, even the vast majority of them follow the law.
    Anyway, a few final thoughts.

1: I feel that most people will just read all this as as attack on the police. It is just a desire to have an ethical, trustworthy police force.
    No attack
    2: Standing by while fellow LEOs behave badly is ultimately bad for everyone.
    Agreed
    3: Another reason it may be difficult to gather statistics on LEO malfeasance is the basic of formula of:
    • Deny, bully, deny
    • In the face of evidence, charge the complainant with bogus violations as a counter to measure to bargain with.
    Sounds more like TV cops than reality.
    • Deny access to records, body-cams etc.
    Unless it's an active investigation, it's pretty easy to file a FOIA request and if the dept has no legal reason to deny it but still do, a judge can order it done.
    • Internal affairs, where the police investigate themselves and find no wrong doing.
    They find wrong doing WAY more often than you think.
    • Finally, in the face of clear, overwhelming evidence, settle of out court to keep the LEOs record clean, and let the municipality pay the settlement, ultimately resulting in real penalty the perpetrators.
    Cities could not care less about the LEO's record. They settle because it saves them money. It's costlier to defend righteous behavior then it is to just settle and make it go away. Only recently has Indianapolis gotten away from settle EVERY claim.
    • If it's really bad, fire the offenders and have them get jobs elsewhere.
    Usually the City lets them quit, it's cheaper and they don't have to defend the separation in court if they sue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Nice write-up. He wrote himself a ticket (by your account, I've not researched it). So that time and place also found it unacceptable, right?

I do agree that it was a different time and place, so I'm not sure why you referenced it relating to these three cops in 2022?

Of course you haven't researched it or we wouldn't be having this conversation to start with. Allow me to pose a question: You can get a ticket today for speeding. Is speeding widely accepted in modern US society? Is it widely considered a moral issue, or widely considered something people do but risk a fine in order to do so? I'm sure we can think of another more smokey example of something still illegal in many places but with high levels of social acceptance, but that's an entirely different rabbit hole.

He followed the law. Wrote himself a ticket, didn't contest it, and paid it. Had he went to jury, it's highly likely he would have been acquitted but felt he should hold himself to a higher standard.

As far as the relevancy, did you read the thread or were you just in too big a hurry to be snarky to bother? If you'd read the thread you would have sees I answered the following question posed by someone else:

I have a question.
    Did law enforcement say in the 1800's to mid 1900's use this kind of force as a way to keep the peace?

Armed with that information, I think you'll find it pretty simple to see why discussion of the actions and viewpoints of a well documented law enforcer who lived in that time frame might be relevant to the question I answered. The only one associating my post with 2022 was you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The disconnect in this thread with the "cops are never punished for doing bad stuff" and the fact so many cops, particularly the younger ones, are terrified to do their jobs would be funny if it wasn't such a sad comment on our society. Ferguson Effect is very real, especially among younger cops who grew up social media savvy and understand how quickly the torches and pitchforks can appear when people are riled up by the media, rightly or wrongly.

For those of you saying 'the city pays', have you ever been sued? Ever had that threat hanging over your head? I will tell you first hand that the legal aftermath is significantly more stressful than the gunfight is, even if you're 100% right and know it. I've been investigated and/or sued a few times over the years, and in each the underlying actions were justified, but it still put stress on me and even more so on my family who didn't understand that certain things have to be investigated even if they are obviously justified.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seriously, explain this? Morally superior because we are calling out bad actions? I can have empathy for those in a tough job (I do) and still not excuse their actions. I'm not saying one is right, and one is wrong... they are BOTH wrong.
    I really don't owe you an explanation. But, there are a couple folks here who have IMHO presented themselves as morally superior and better knowing with how to deal with situations police face than the actual police know. Not surprisingly. Those same folks if they were pressed to put on a uniform and badge probably wouldn't last a year before getting themselves into trouble.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

NSFW Language warning

Starting at 1:39 is this the dashcam from the OP?? DO explains a bit of contect for strikes like that either way.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    George Floyd was accused of trying to use a counterfeit bill. Had his murder not be clearly recorded, he would have been just another "dead, drug-addict who resisted arrest".
    Didn't read anything further after this. If you really believe that what happened to George Floyd (unfortunate as it was) was murder, you are very drunk on mainstream media koolaid. I recommend you go and watch the actual trial of Derek Chauvin, where it was testified that Floyd had multiple times the deadly level of fentanyl in his system. I recommend you go and watch the experiments done by volunteers who literally let a man kneel on their neck in the same manner as what happened to Floyd, simply to demonstrate that not only was it not deadly, but was not even a risk of harm/injury. The only way you can possibly think that Chauvin received a just verdict is to be either woefully ignorant of the facts, or firmly entrenched in anti-police bias.

It's a shame, because for a moment, I was completely agreeing with you about not needing to play "team sports" and needing to call out bad cops where they exist. But it's clear that you have a very loose relationship with actual facts, if you believe the absolute nonsense peddled by the media about what happened to George Floyd.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Not at all... not sure where I ever typed that, either. I want law enforcement to take the person into custody and for the criminal to get charged with everything humanly possible. No more and no less. Street justice is for Marvel movies.

I empathize with the emotion involved in a highly charged environment. I have no idea how I would react... would I kick the **** out of someone who just resisted me? I hope not, but I don't know. If I did, then I deserve what is coming to me.
    Assuming that the account given by the officers was correct: They were trying to take him into custody. He hadn't "just resisted" them, he was still actively resisting, and had clearly proven that the moment he regained ability, he was more that willing to be a violent threat.

Yes, if it turns out the officers lied about this context, then I'll condemn what they did right along with you. But if not, then what they did was completely justified. The man was not yet restrained, and was not yet in custody, and they were taking measures to gain compliance that were 100% proportional to what he had already done to them.

(Edit: when I say completely justified, I mean morally. I'm not going to attempt to comment on the legality, especially in the clown world we live in.)

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Didn't read anything further after this. If you really believe that what happened to George Floyd (unfortunate as it was) was murder, you are very drunk on mainstream media koolaid. I recommend you go and watch the actual trial of Derek Chauvin, where it was testified that Floyd had multiple times the deadly level of fentanyl in his system. I recommend you go and watch the experiments done by volunteers who literally let a man kneel on their neck in the same manner as what happened to Floyd, simply to demonstrate that not only was it not deadly, but was not even a risk of harm/injury. The only way you can possibly think that Chauvin received a just verdict is to be either woefully ignorant of the facts, or firmly entrenched in anti-police bias.

It's a shame, because for a moment, I was completely agreeing with you about not needing to play "team sports" and needing to call out bad cops where they exist. But it's clear that you have a very loose relationship with actual facts, if you believe the absolute nonsense peddled by the media about what happened to George Floyd.
    I watched every second* of the Chauvin trial. I heard the testimony of an Cardiologist with a very impressive resume give good evidence of why he didn't die from fentanyl. There was clear video from multiple angles. People at the scene could tell he was dying. One of the other officers said they needed to roll him over. They violated their own policy. He was not fighting back. (Also if he was so nearly dead from fentanyl why did they need to kneel on his neck? surely he couldn't hurt anyone, handcuffed and almost dead). He was murdered. The crowd saw it. I saw it. The Drs. testifying saw it. The jury saw it. Period. Murder. There is no media conspiracy.

That's beside the point though. I saw the video leading up to the murder. There was no need to escalate that situation over suspicion of a fake $20 bill.

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    "Behaving badly" is not the same thing as blatantly illegal activity. I don't understand the "lying because there isn't evidence" aspect. I'm saying it's extremely rare because it is. There are MILLIONS of police/citizen interactions every year in the US. You want to give me some internet cases and exclaim that it's proof that it's frequent. You will need WAY more cases to prove that assertion.

Agree

Agree

Again, "bad behavior" is WAY different than illegal activity that was referred to earlier Yes, there are a TON of lazy-untrained police in the US. Thankfully, even the vast majority of them follow the law.

No attack

Agreed

Sounds more like TV cops than reality.

Unless it's an active investigation, it's pretty easy to file a FOIA request and if the dept has no legal reason to deny it but still do, a judge can order it done.

They find wrong doing WAY more often than you think.

Cities could not care less about the LEO's record. They settle because it saves them money. It's costlier to defend righteous behavior then it is to just settle and make it go away. Only recently has Indianapolis gotten away from settle EVERY claim.

Usually the City lets them quit, it's cheaper and they don't have to defend the separation in court if they sue.
    Thank you for the reply. I'm using bad behavior here as blanket euphemism for malfeasance, negligence, criminality etc.

I do believe "cities don't car about LEO's records. I DO however believe PDs circle the wagons and cover up for each other. Of the literal hundreds of videos I've watched of criminal behavior by LEs I've only seen one where another stepped in to prevent the commission of an unlawful battery and she was choked and threatened by a superior. On the other hand all the other videos I've seen have one thing in common. Other LEOs standing around doing absolutely nothing.

As you say, I could give scores of links to videos but I feel strongly that they would be dismissed "ambiguous" or "rare" so I'll not waste my time. They are there, in their abundance for any that wish to see.

Regarding FOIAs: It is easy to say they are available but the reality is they are often refused, heavily redacted or require hefty fees to obtain. Saying that if they are refused, a judge can order them, sounds simple. The average person (or the in the case of many people who have been victimized by LE, below average as far as spare time, financial resources and general capability go) does not have easy access to judge to obtain such an order.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As you say, I could give scores of links to videos
    "Scores of links"... out of millions of LEO interactions. You do realize that even if there are "scores" of links to bad behavior that in the grand scheme of things, it's statistically insignificant, right? And holding up the George Floyd incident? Do you think that the nationwide (and even international) destruction and damage to race relations that that spawned was worth it for a drug addled addict's accidental death (and yes, it was accidental at worst)? If so, then that explains where you're coming from.

I'm guessing you also bought the "hands up, don't shoot" narrative too in the Ferguson incident, which was proven to be false as well.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I watched every second* of the Chauvin trial. I heard the testimony of an Cardiologist with a very impressive resume give good evidence of why he didn't die from fentanyl. There was clear video from multiple angles. People at the scene could tell he was dying. One of the other officers said they needed to roll him over. They violated their own policy. He was not fighting back. (Also if he was so nearly dead from fentanyl why did they need to kneel on his neck? surely he couldn't hurt anyone, handcuffed and almost dead). He was murdered. The crowd saw it. I saw it. The Drs. testifying saw it. The jury saw it. Period. Murder. There is no media conspiracy.

That's beside the point though. I saw the video leading up to the murder. There was no need to escalate that situation over suspicion of a fake $20 bill.
    Kneeling on his neck was an unnecessary and an unwise move, but it was not what killed George Floyd. I'll take the evidence a volunteer who actually let someone kneel on their neck and was perfectly unharmed, vs a cherry picked cardiologist, no matter how long their resume is, until they volunteer to have the same level of fentanyl in their system and see how they fare.

If all the bystanders who noticed he was dying had really cared about him enough to quit causing a dangerous scene and thus allow the paramedics to move in, maybe Floyd would still be alive today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If all the bystanders who noticed he was dying had really cared about him enough to quit causing a dangerous scene and thus allow the paramedics to move in, maybe Floyd would still be alive today.
    C'mon man! There were cellphone videos to be taken and those aren't gonna get posted to the internet themselves! Priorities!

Top Bottom