• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    After 3 days come and go and no reply from the FBI on the "instant background check" I'm told after 8 days IF I'm not denied I can come and get my new rifle. Anyone else heard of this :poop:

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    I've lived here my whole life (50yrs), a vet, never been in trouble my whole life! last year I bought a new .22 and had to wait 3 days for a response then. Now they aren't even responding, and I'm told after 8 days I can come and get my new rifle, if I'm not denied first! I've researched everywhere and I thought after 3 days I could get my weapon. But Gander Mountain T.H. said different. I only went there because they were the closest Browning dealer and I had to order my BAR!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    After three days the FFL may transfer the firearms if they have not heard back from NICS. This doesn't mean that they have to.

I had someone put on a delay last year, after three days I hadn't heard back and went ahead and transferred it. A few months later I got the call from NICS telling me that the transfer was approved.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I know a Metro Cop that is delayed EVERY time. It's his name. Similar to some puke if I understand correctly. He refuses to get the ID verification deal due to being so damned stuborn.
    He gets an attitude every time he's delayed. I think they just like to mess with him at this stage.
    3 days is my understanding as well.

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    After 3 days come and go and no reply from the FBI on the "instant background check" I'm told after 8 days IF I'm not denied I can come and get my new rifle. Anyone else heard of this :poop:

its five busness days due to some glitch I go through the wait game every time I transfer a firearm they should of given dealer a date if they don't get a denyal by then youre good to go

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

it's up to the FFL if they want to complete the transfer or not after 3 days without decision from ATF. if they think the transferee is shaddy, it's their legal rights to refuse the transfer.

FBI ? A NICS Delay
    The following table specifies the day after a delay response on which a firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination has not been received from the NICS (assuming there are no intervening state holidays or closures):
    Delay Response On Can Legally Transfer Under Federal Law On
    Monday Friday
    Tuesday Saturday
    Wednesday Tuesday
    Thursday Wednesday
    Friday Thursday
    Saturday Thursday
    Sunday Thursday

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I know a Metro Cop that is delayed EVERY time. It's his name. Similar to some puke if I understand correctly. He refuses to get the ID verification deal due to being so damned stuborn.
    He gets an attitude every time he's delayed. I think they just like to mess with him at this stage.
    3 days is my understanding as well.

I've been delayed more often than not, apparently there's a convicted felon a state over with the same name as me. Even putting my SSN on the form it seems to be 50/50. Well, I had a previous employer tell me that after a background check, anyway.

I googled and *think* I found him on facebook. Right state, and the other other person I found with my name was the former drummer of some band. On the plus side, it'd be hard to mistake him for me, he's about 200 pounds heavier and much less caucasian.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    After three days the FFL may transfer the firearms if they have not heard back from NICS. This doesn't mean that they have to.

I had someone put on a delay last year, after three days I hadn't heard back and went ahead and transferred it. A few months later I got the call from NICS telling me that the transfer was approved.
    And what happens if a few months later you get the call saying transfer is denied??

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yes it is 3 days according to the ATF. However most companies will wait 7 days to be safe. Most big box stores will not transfer a firearm unless they have received a "Proceed" from NICS

As far as being delayed it could be any number of things.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I got delayed at the 1500 several years ago and the vender was a real jerk about it, never again. That was my last gun show and finished getting what I wanted through private sales.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've lived here my whole life (50yrs), a vet, never been in trouble my whole life! last year I bought a new .22 and had to wait 3 days for a response then. Now they aren't even responding, and I'm told after 8 days I can come and get my new rifle, if I'm not denied first! I've researched everywhere and I thought after 3 days I could get my weapon. But Gander Mountain T.H. said different. I only went there because they were the closest Browning dealer and I had to order my BAR!

When you submitted your 4473 did you put your SSN on it? That should prevent you being confused with someone else, causing a delay.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I guess the ATF would go knock on the transferee's door and confiscate the firearm.

yes they could, i had a nics approval(no delay out the door!) and on the multi handgun sale form(sent to the atf) atf called and said he's a felon, and ask if we had transfered to "mr so and so" we replied yes, he was arrested and i almost had to go to court(because of his pos lawyer), the lawyer tried to say it was MY fault for transfering it to him!, the shop owner(im part time) went to the deposition with the lawyer, and told the lawyer that i followed the law, that his client was the one who broke the law, and that if someone needed to go to court it would be him(the owner).

i never went to court, i've never heard anything else, but here in my part of the state, you can plea down anything, (our former proscuter was nick named "let em go levco")

When you submitted your 4473 did you put your SSN on it? That should prevent you being confused with someone else, causing a delay.

that wont help, ive had people with a upin get denied, and then approve on appeal

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I must be missing something, whats the deal with this 3 day waiting thing? I walked in to GANDER MOUNTAIN and walked out with a ruger american .223 rifle and didnt even show or tell them about my CCP ?

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I must be missing something, whats the deal with this 3 day waiting thing? I walked in to GANDER MOUNTAIN and walked out with a ruger american .223 rifle and didnt even show or tell them about my CCP ?

Your LTCH (we don't have CCPs, btw) doesn't obviate the 4473 process.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom