1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A Rifle
    A Pistol
    A Shotgun
    A way to carry spare ammo for all 3 gun on your person

Those are the must haves :)

Best bet is to get started and and not worry about a ton up upgrades or gadgets. You may spend money on it and then realize you don't like it.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I'm using the same pistols I use for IDPA, Para p14-45 or Para p16-40.
    I traded my mini-14 for a Bushmaster M4gery topped off with a 1-4 optic. Easier to do rapid magazine changes and lots more go fast goodies available.
    I (currently) use a Mossberg 500 with an 18in defender barrel and 5 rnd capacity. Looking to upgrade to a Mossberg 930 JM when one becomes available. (that 5 round magazine really slows me down).
    I bought a jogging baby stroller on craigslist for $15 and modded it into a gun cart.
    I'm having FUN with a minimal investment so far. Using what I have and picking things up as I can afford them or get them.

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Your best bet is to bring what you have to a match (try a INMG match... everyone is friendly and more then willing to teach/talk about or loan gear)

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    You need a pistol, and lots of ammo. If you bring 12 gauge and .223 (factory, not reloads) Someone will let you borrow a rifle and/or shotgun.

You'll end up with the three guns. Most guys use ARs. You'll need 5 magazines for your pistol. You'll want a way to carry the mags. You'll want a way to carry 12 gauge shells. I use a side saddle on the gun, an arm band and belt holders.
    2 or 3 AR mags will probably be enough.
    You'll also want a cart to carry the monstrous pile of stuff.
    I think it's nice to bring a folding chair.
    Chamber flags for the long guns.

That's a good start, have fun!

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    5 magazines is probably overkill unless you are using a 1911. Most stages you should be able to do with 1 in the gun and 1 on your belt.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    5 magazines is probably overkill unless you are using a 1911. Most stages you should be able to do with 1 in the gun and 1 on your belt.

Well, maybe... You need at least 5 to shoot USPSA, and there is a lot of crossover between that and multigun.
    I believe that, given the present climate, the organizers are planning to reduce the round counts for the matches for the time being, so I guess you're probably right.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Amend that to three guns that RUN!!! Kind of hard to have fun when you're battling your equipment.:xmad:
    Ask me how I know!

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, maybe... You need at least 5 to shoot USPSA, and there is a lot of crossover between that and multigun.
    I believe that, given the present climate, the organizers are planning to reduce the round counts for the matches for the time being, so I guess you're probably right.

3 gun is basically uspsa limited. Never seen a stage that you could possibly need 100 rounds of pistol for. Unless you mean 5 in your bag, in that case you are spot on.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    Amend that to three guns that RUN!!! Kind of hard to have fun when you're battling your equipment.:xmad:
    Ask me how I know!

That's why I got rid of my 11/87 and bought an FN!
    I got tired of field stripping my shotgun on the line. It don't help your time much!

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Can you use a 20 gauge? I have an 870 20g and really dont have the funds to buy a 12. Would there be any stages or targets I couldnt shoot/hit with a 20 if they are even allowed?

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I"m fairly certain 20 gauge is allowed in everything but heavy metal. If you can change out chokes you should be able to hit anything. Cylinder bore guns have some trouble with far or heavy steel. But if you can choke up to improved cylinder or mod or improved mod you'll be fine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom