• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I'm relatively new to shooting sports (shot about 5-6 USPSA matches last year). I'd like to try 3-gun, but I'm not sure about what division I'd be shooting in. I have a Glock 23, Colt AR-15 Magpul w/ Weaver Kaspa 1.5-6x scope and an old Savage Model 30 pump shotgun with 28" barrel (I'm the 3rd generation to own this pheasant-slaying shoulder breaker...). I'm not opposed to purchasing a new shotgun to make this happen, as the Savage is a hog to handle and I don't know if I want to tear it up doing competitions because of the sentimental value to me. What division would I shoot in and what would be a good entry-level shotgun to be looking at (pump or semi-auto) on the cheap? Thanks for the help!!

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    You should be in Tactical Optics with that set-up. As for the shotgun, I would say just bring what you got and shoot a match or two. You'll be at a disadvantage because of capacity (unless you can find an extension to fit that shotgun), but get at least a little experience before you start buying new guns.

If you're looking at cheap shotguns, I would look an 870 or Benelli SuperNova for pumps and the Stoeger m3000 for a semi-auto. All three have considerable aftermarket support and will not hold you back for some time. Oh, and you will likely beat up your long guns (at least I have) - throwing/dropping guns in barrels doesn't do much for the finish!

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Adam nailed it. An 870 and a Nordic extension is probably the cheapest way to get a shotgun that'll keep you competitive. Just make sure your shotgun is threaded for chokes.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Definitely Tac Ops as long as you leave any bipod off!

There are a lot of shotgun options out there. FN SLP, Remington Versamax, JM Pro, and a bunch of others I can't keep up with. I run a Benelli M2, and you'll see a lot of those out there, but they're on the higher end of price. I would recommend you run what you have for a few matches and talk to other competitors and see what works for them and what problems they may have had with their equipment.

Oh, and welcome to the sport!

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Awesome!! Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to make the match on the 29th. Where might one find the "empty bolt" indicators? Would Dick's/Gander have something like this, or a LGS.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    An LGS would probably be your best bet. I can't remember offhand if I've seen them in Gander and I'd really be surprised to find one in Dick's. I know Hillside (they have a gun shop near the range you'll be at on the 29th.) has sold them in the past, but not sure if they still do. As a last resort, lots of guys will have extras you might be able to borrow.

Top Bottom