• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Good evening. I have been kicking around the idea of taking up 3-gun shooting for a couple of years. I have pretty much accumulated all of the necessary equipment, except for an AR magazine pouch and shotgun shell caddies. My question is where do most people practice for 3-gun? Unfortunately, the range I typically frequent is Atterbury Shooting Complex. It goes without saying, but I am unable to practice in a manner suitable for competition. I live in Greenwood, but I am willing to drive a reasonable distance (within an hour or so) to find a good range. I am also willing to pay for a private range. I have lived in the Indianapolis/Greenwood area my entire life, so I am familiar with most of the ranges around. That said, I am not familiar with the amenities these ranges offer. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any training classes available that teach the fundamentals of 3-gun?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Tim

yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Most people practice at a match. :laugh:
    Seriously if you have shot a USPSA or IDPA type match or any that required you to load and make ready pistol and unload and show clear your should be good to go. Depending on the range the match is held at make sure to know your rifle zero and any hold over to the max possible range of where the match is listed at. Also know your point of aim for slugs from point blank out to maybe 50 yards. Know your pattern from 10 yards to 20 yards and consider bringing a different choke. Depends on what you use. LM IM is most common depending on your gun.

Know that the 180 rule is the one most new shooters get to go home for. Be carefull and get thru the first one and all will be clear. :welcome:

Next IMG is at Hillside in a couple weeks. Rifle out to 350+ is a possibiltiy, I hope.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Action pistol, shotgun reloading, reloading your pistol in ready position are all things I have read that can help along with the rest of the comments. Be safe if practicing with live rounds

esmith17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I received this PM from whippo...

whippo said:
    I am looking at starting to run 3 gun wondering what kind of things you had in mind.

My response...

I'm glad to see you have an interest in multigun. I'm not sure how I can help you unless you give me more details in what type of help you need. The OP of the thread I answered had a few things I had the ability the help. By that I mean he needed a place to shoot ( I helped him solve that)... He had some gear (shell caddie, mag pouch, shotgun) questions. I was able to show and let him try my gear. He had questions about fundamentals (things like make ready show clear hammer down type stuff...shotgun loading...how many mags he needed...how many shells he needed to carry). I was able to go over these questions. I will be happy to help you in any way I can, but you have to give me somewhere to start. I'm not sure what type of response you were hoping for... I hope your not disappointed in it.

Also (just to give you a heads up) I'm going to copy and paste this message into the thread in hope that others will see it...mostly so that my PM box does not fill up with help me messages like yours (not that yours was bad)

Eric

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Honestly, I got all my training at the first match. All the participants and RO's were very helpful, and I went into it knowing I was gonna crawl before I ran. I just wanted to get all the steps right, and do it safely before I worked on speed. By my second match, it was like riding a bike, and my speed greatly increased. Don't get all tied up with gear, I used a shotshell carrier that I use while dove/pheasant hunting, and it was fine. As long as you have sufficient amount of pistol mags, a cheap belt shotshell carrier, and your firearms are sighted in, you will have a great time. The nervousness goes away on the first shot.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    As others have said go shoot a match. I hear a lot of guys say they want to start but they need to practice first. That's crap! There are so many things you can't learn until you see, do, or forget to do on the clock. Obviously practice is important. Work on dry firing your pistol, reloading your shotgun and picking up and shouldering your long guns in the garage.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As Jesse said, other than some basic gun handling stuff, you won't know what you need to practice until you get to a match and fail at something. Find a weakness and turn it into a strength. :)

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Question from someone that knows nothing about 3G: The 180 rule = Don't muzzle sweep the spectators?

Picture yourself from above standing on a clock face and looking directly to the back of the shooting berm. Draw a line from 3-9, directly through your shoulders. That is the "180" (180 degrees of a circle). muzzle cannot pass behind that line whether it up left, right, up or down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom