• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I've been looking to try to get into multigun competitions but I recently discovered that my trusty 20ga pump shotty shouldn't shoot slugs (which are required for multigunning). It's not that I can't shoot slugs, but something about the fixed choke isn't designed to handle slugs and will eventually damage the barrel. Either way, it's a pump shotty with only a 4+1 capacity.

So I decided that a new shotgun is probably in my near future. This new shotgun will almost exclusively be used for multigun competitions (tactical iron/limited division), although home defense wouldn't be ruled out.

I'd like the shotgun to be at minimum a 6+1 capacity or larger (preferably 8+1), 12ga autoloader, with synthetic furniture, at a reasonable price (reasonable = Less than $750).

Pretty much the ONLY shotgun I've found that fits this is a Mossberg 930 (http://www.mossberg.com/press/pdf/79.pdf), but I can only find that in the press released I just linked to. I can't actually find this on their list of firearms on the website.

Anyway, I figured I'd call out to my trusty INGO fellows for help and see what you all recommended. I'm not fixated on an autoloader, and I am open to pump. So in short I'm looking for:
    A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun,
    with a 6+1 capacity or larger,
    with synthetic furniture,
    that is 3-gun tactical iron/limited division legal,
    is safety able to shoot up to 3" shells,
    of either bird shot, buck shot, or slugs,
    for less than $750.

Recommendations?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    With your budget I would buy a used Benelli M1 and still have money left over for anything you may need or want like a belt and comp shell holders etc....

Understand, looking at most guns under 1k, even those that are new, I would still buy a used M1. Next would be a used Beretta 1201. There are plenty of variables if you decide to spend more.

I don't do Mossbergs because of the tang mounted safety, it is a personal choice for HD, nothing wrong with that gun. In Indiana, fidning a used Remington 1100 slug gun is not that hard to do either. Good base gun to build on.

In todays economy, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of someone else's pain and buying their used gun. Even in a good economy I tend to buy used guns and buy "up" but I stick to the guns I know well.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    With your budget I would buy a used Benelli M1 and still have money left over for anything you may need or want like a belt and comp shell holders etc....

Understand, looking at most guns under 1k, even those that are new, I would still buy a used M1. Next would be a used Beretta 1201. There are plenty of variables if you decide to spend more.

I don't do Mossbergs because of the tang mounted safety, it is a personal choice for HD, nothing wrong with that gun. In Indiana, fidning a used Remington 1100 slug gun is not that hard to do either. Good base gun to build on.

In todays economy, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of someone else's pain and buying their used gun. Even in a good economy I tend to buy used guns and buy "up" but I stick to the guns I know well.

I second this. I was at my first competition last fall, and the guys who had the m4's were cleaning up on nearly every event.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I've had several gunshops look into the Mossberg JM signature 930. It's supposed to be availabe in July this year. I'm using a borrowed Mossberg 500 5-shot with an 18in defender barrel until I can get my hands on one.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Remington 1100 is still probably the most popular shotgun for 3-gun shoots. I would look for a used gun with preferably a 26 inch barrel, add a 10+1 Choate mag extension and change the stocks if you feel the need. Mine looks like this with SpeedFeed stocks...

1100-1-1.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    If you want LOTS of leftover money for practice ammo, how about a Maverick 88? Cross bolt safety, 7+1, made by Mossberg, around $200.

RIF

OP's specs said, "autoloader"

Will the steady stream of, "get what I got, because I need the affirmation of a total stranger, to validate a choice I made of my own free will", ever end?

btw- that Miculek 930 looks slick

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I've had several gunshops look into the Mossberg JM signature 930. It's supposed to be availabe in July this year. I'm using a borrowed Mossberg 500 5-shot with an 18in defender barrel until I can get my hands on one.

Saw one today at the gunshow in South Bend. I saw one on armslist as well but I think it was in Kzoo.

Looked nice but I'm thinking SPX.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    Saw one today at the gunshow in South Bend. I saw one on armslist as well but I think it was in Kzoo.

Looked nice but I'm thinking SPX.

The SPX only has an 18.5" barrel. Most everything I read for 3-gun recommends 20-24 inches, although admittedly I'm not sure why. It also says it has a, "7-Round capacity extended magazine." Does that mean it's a 6+1, or a 7+1?

Either way, for the extra $50, I think the JMPro 930 is probably the better deal with the extra barrel length and higher capacity... If I can just find one when I have the money for it.

Note: I found that the SPX is a 7+1.

Top Bottom