• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    We brought my daughter to climb towards the end of the day. She almost made the 8th panel, which is her best yet! Unfortunately, she "died" three times. Luckily, though, she had a couple of 1UP's.

Was I belaying her?

I think you go to the other place ... Climb Time Indy. The boys go there occasionally, but I've never been there with them.

Yeah, I know the difference... our gym in Indy is not quite as "high class" as up there but it is cheaper and closer to home!

-K

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This past summer my 82 year old father built a short climbing wall for the boys in our back yard. It took five people and a winch to get it off the ground and sitting upright. That sucker is HEAVY. Of course, they never use it.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    This past summer my 82 year old father built a short climbing wall for the boys in our back yard. It took five people and a winch to get it off the ground and sitting upright. That sucker is HEAVY. Of course, they never use it.

I helped build the boldering wall inside the repellin tower at ransburg scout camp down around bloomington. They aren't complicated, but are a large undertaking.

Scutter,

I am 99% sure I remember your daughter. Was she debating with you about how high she went? I remember a little girl made it the same height you describe and when her dad said "You did great, almost to the 8th panel" or something like it, she said "But really It was the eighth."

Dad "you were pushing the 8th reaching onto it"

Daughter "So I was on the 8th"

Don't think I hear much after that

Was this you? She also asked me how many panels there were total. (13)

-K

Last edited:

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Yup, :D that's right while at work today i spotted three gentleman carrying in various degrees of concealment! :rockwoot: I was excited and pleased to see my fellow citizens exercising their rights! I work at a particular sporting goods store that rhymes with stick's and had two customers today who were both carrying and then saw a gentleman in the food court as well.

After the first gun packin fellow left my area i mentioned to a fellow associate and friend that he had been carrying, hoping to start an educated discussion. My co-worker flipped out. He didn't even know it was legal to carry a gun! We had an interesting talk, but it boiled down to him being scared :runaway: of guns all together, for no other reason than the news and tv. :bash:

Just thought I'd share... kinda made my day. :dunno:
    So did you offer to take him to the range ?
    I think education of guns would change a lot of peoples perspective
    People fear what they dont understand and lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing !

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    People fear what they dont understand and lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing !

I did... he thought I was nuts.

-K

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Mentioned that I open carried to a co-worker (outside of work, of course) and she stated that it's ridiculous that anyone would need a gun and could "flip out and kill anyone at any time." This was after I told her that licensed carriers were fingerprinted by the state, full background check including criminal records to prove no felonies, and no record of mental institution "vacations."

I don't get into arguments with loud-mouthed people, so I let her think whatever she wants to think.

Mr. Mysterious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Mentioned that I open carried to a co-worker (outside of work, of course) and she stated that it's ridiculous that anyone would need a gun and could "flip out and kill anyone at any time." This was after I told her that licensed carriers were fingerprinted by the state, full background check including criminal records to prove no felonies, and no record of mental institution "vacations."

I don't get into arguments with loud-mouthed people, so I let her think whatever she wants to think.

Simply tell her that she has keys in her purse to a 3000lb hulk of steel that can plow through a farmers market and kill dozens of people and that it is ridiculous to think that the state would let anyone drive without being fingerprinted, a background check, a clean criminal record, and no record of being mentally instable.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Oh, fun. Another sheep who thinks guns cause crime. Did you direct her to the gun cam?

Tell her it scares you when she walks around with scissors because she could flip out and kill anyone at any time. Or what if a bad guy were to take the scissors from her and use them against her? You're really just trying to protect her.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Oh, fun. Another sheep who thinks guns cause crime. Did you direct her to the gun cam?

Tell her it scares you when she walks around with scissors because she could flip out and kill anyone at any time. Or what if a bad guy were to take the scissors from her and use them against her? You're really just trying to protect her.
    No, it was while we were outside on break. She would never shut the efff up about it if I brought it up now.
    Don't you just hate that crap!?
    Yes, it's stupid. I like the Ted Nugent quote floating around about his guns being defective if all they do is cause crime.

Last edited:

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Simply tell her that she has keys in her purse to a 3000lb hulk of steel that can plow through a farmers market and kill dozens of people and that it is ridiculous to think that the state would let anyone drive without being fingerprinted, a background check, a clean criminal record, and no record of being mentally instable.
    5000lb Excursion is the vehicle of choice here, so more mayhem would ensue, or the thing would just catch fire.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's too bad that people with licenses or permits to carry firearms are the least likely demographic of all to commit a violent crime. It would be unfortunate if that fact were made public where it might conflict with those intent on propagating hysteria.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Just thought I would give a congratulations to Scutter01 whose daughter made it to the top of the rock wall today... forcing her dad to buy her a t-shirt :D

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Just thought I would give a congratulations to Scutter01 whose daughter made it to the top of the rock wall today... forcing her dad to buy her a t-shirt :D
    Were you working yesterday, at about 6 oclock? My brother and I stopped in, but I wasn't sure if it was you or not. There was a heavy set guy, and another guy working.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    it's ridiculous that anyone would need a gun and could "flip out and kill anyone at any time."

:soapbox:Maybe we as law abiding licensed gun owners need to start asking the question "did the perp have a license/ccw permit". Seems as the media is not comparing "apples to apples" as it were!
    I know there are some stats somewhere of how many legeal gun owners cross the line, and I am willing to bet the percentage is really really low!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    :soapbox:Maybe we as law abiding licensed gun owners need to start asking the question "did the perp have a license/ccw permit". Seems as the media is not comparing "apples to apples" as it were!
    I know there are some stats somewhere of how many legeal gun owners cross the line, and I am willing to bet the percentage is really really low!
    I do remember that when the incidents happened at Club Rio with the Pacers, they (the news) said that Stephen Jackson did have his LTCH. FWIW

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

In December, when I called ISP, I was told that there are no data to specify what percentage of those are revoked for violent crimes committed, as opposed to having either an alcohol-related situation (like a PI) or some other disqualifying event. I'm uncertain if it also includes those who voluntarily surrender their LTC for whatever reason. (i.e. was the LTC revoked on the holder's request?) I did ask about stats on revocation for violent criminal activity, and was told that there are no stats on that. These guys keep stats on everything, so I can only infer that the number is so small as to be statistically insignificant.

December 2007
    IN population: ~6,000,000
    Minor population (age 0-17): ~1,500,000
    Prison population (year-end 2007): ~25,800
    No data is available at this writing to show how many are disarmed by "protective orders", nor what percentage of those are initiated vindictively by one domestic partner against another.
    No data was located to identify the number of people on "house arrest" or who have completed their sentence terms and are still disarmed. I will conservatively guess this to be approximately three times the prison population, slightly adjusted for round figures, so from our 6M citizens, we subtract 1.6M (again, that last figure of ~75K was only a guess), leaving 4.4M Hoosiers eligible for a LTC. My figures will not include those who have alcohol-related convictions, though this number may be significant.

IN LTCs issued (all types): 279,281
    IN LTCs revoked (2004-11/2007): 2,518

If I've calculated this correctly, that means about 6.35% of eligible Hoosiers hold a LTC, and of those ~279,000, less than one fourth of one percent are revoked per year for all causes.

Blessings,
    B

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    If I've calculated this correctly, that means about 6.35% of eligible Hoosiers hold a LTC, and of those ~279,000, less than one fourth of one percent are revoked per year for all causes.

Statistically I think the average non-licensed adult has a nearly 2:1 higher chance of getting themselves in trouble than a LTCH holder.

just using

in prison or out / adult population
    75,000 / 4,500,000 = 1.6%

vs

Licenses revoked / licensed individuals
    2518 / 279281 = .9%

Top Bottom