• mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'll just leave this here...

NFL players: Three out of four own guns

I especially liked the part where they write that Coach Dungy would ask players to 'register' their guns in Indiana. Hmmm... Anyone care to enlighten me as to where I could register my firearms, if I had any?

Apply purple where you see fit.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    What does this have to do with legislation? Why should we care whether a bunch of overpaid professional athletes are armed?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What does this have to do with legislation? Why should we care whether a bunch of overpaid professional athletes are armed?

Overpaid would mean they are paid more than the market will allow. Since the NFL has no shortage of paying fans to pay their salary, they get paid market rate.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Overpaid would mean they are paid more than the market will allow. Since the NFL has no shortage of paying fans to pay their salary, they get paid market rate.

Its ok, whenever someone says that someone else is overpaid. They are just jealous whatever job they have is not as good or high paying as whatever job the other guy has.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN

It may shock you to learn that language is not entirely mechanical, and often words and phrases are used in ways not fully in compliance with your preferred definition!

To a native speaker it should be clear that I do not believe that professional athletes' salaries exceed their "market value" but rather that they are incommensurate with the position itself. This is a relatively common usage of the term in many dialects of modern American English. If you are not a native speaker I do apologize for confusing you.

Its ok, whenever someone says that someone else is overpaid. They are just jealous whatever job they have is not as good or high paying as whatever job the other guy has.

While I would love to pull in millions of dollars every year to play a game, I'm not motivated by jealousy. Professional sports are a blight on our society and serve only to distract people from things that actually matter. It's proxy tribalism, and along with mass market television serves only to keep the public placated while the real business of exploitation goes on in plain sight. It's panem et circenses all over again, but no one cares because GO TEAM! GO TEAM! CRUSH THAT OTHER TEAM! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    While I would love to pull in millions of dollars every year to play a game, I'm not motivated by jealousy. Professional sports are a blight on our society and serve only to distract people from things that actually matter. It's proxy tribalism, and along with mass market television serves only to keep the public placated while the real business of exploitation goes on in plain sight. It's panem et circenses all over again, but no one cares because GO TEAM! GO TEAM! CRUSH THAT OTHER TEAM! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

The same could be said for any hobby. Guns, RC cars, fast cars, dungeons and dragons, knitting, working out, or going to the Bunny Ranch.

These are all hobbies that people use to entertain themselves and escape from the day to day. No different than watching football or baseball.

So it all comes full circle, is it that people like to be entertained that bugs you or does it really just go back to the money that sports generate?

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    The same could be said for any hobby. Guns, RC cars, fast cars, dungeons and dragons, knitting, working out, or going to the Bunny Ranch.

These are all hobbies that people use to entertain themselves and escape from the day to day. No different than watching football or baseball.

So it all comes full circle, is it that people like to be entertained that bugs you or does it really just go back to the money that sports generate?

While I agree that there is some element of escapism to most hobbies, none of those hobbies listed are comparable to professional sports. Every single one involves some sort of skill, benefit, or practical application. The last one probably qualifies as all three! Watching professional sports is a wholly passive activity with no practical application or skill involved. It serves only to distract rather than benefit. Given that watching a game almost necessarily involves remaining sedentary for hours it would be interesting to see a study on the rate of heart disease and obesity among professional sports fans v. that of the US population.

The money is secondary. I believe that professional athletes are gratuitously overcompensated, but that has no bearing on the nature of professional sports themselves.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It may shock you to learn that language is not entirely mechanical, and often words and phrases are used in ways not fully in compliance with your preferred definition!

To a native speaker it should be clear that I do not believe that professional athletes' salaries exceed their "market value" but rather that they are incommensurate with the position itself. This is a relatively common usage of the term in many dialects of modern American English. If you are not a native speaker I do apologize for confusing you.

Thank you for you book learn'n me. I is not the best word maker I guess. I guess SOMEONE didn't play team sports while growing up or now huh? I'll be the first to say I won't spend the money on Colts tickets because I'd rather spend it on something else. However I have gone ONCE to see the Colts and that was when Tampa Bay came to town a year before RCA was vacated and torn down. I only went to that game because my cousin (Trueblood) was playing for the Bucs. He's been a starter RT for the last 6 years with TB. My aunt and Uncle worked 2-3 jobs each to send him to private school where he was offered a full ride at Boston College. He actually got an education before getting drafted. He makes good money but he works his ass off for it. Currently he's IR with a shoulder surgery so he's done for the season. Professional sports pay their players for their specific skills. These traits/skills are rare and thus command appropriate compensation. Now, it seems like you have more of a problem with the FANS than the "overpayed players". I like watching sports because I still play and I can relate to the athleticism displayed even though I am no where near as talented. Lighten up Francis.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

While I agree that there is some element of escapism to most hobbies, none of those hobbies listed are comparable to professional sports. Every single one involves some sort of skill, benefit, or practical application. The last one probably qualifies as all three! Watching professional sports is a wholly passive activity with no practical application or skill involved. It serves only to distract rather than benefit. Given that watching a game almost necessarily involves remaining sedentary for hours it would be interesting to see a study on the rate of heart disease and obesity among professional sports fans v. that of the US population.

The money is secondary. I believe that professional athletes are gratuitously overcompensated, but that has no bearing on the nature of professional sports themselves.

Good God Sheldon, go split an atom or something;)

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN

There is no skill involved to posting on INGO, yet you still do it. What is the difference? Seems to me you are splitting hairs to make a point that has no validity.

Besides fantasy football involves tons of skill lol.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You underestimate the fatness of Americans. We do need to be sports fans to be lazy. Hell, I got a lot of fat family that simply sits on porch swing watching cars drive by. They only time they "exercise," is when they move from the porch to the couch to see Auburn play.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Why is this so shocking to the masses? Oh yeah, it's a media story written by folks who love the first amendment but can't understand the 2nd. Who cares how many NFL players own guns.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Sorry...I should have pointed out more clearly in my original post why I was linking the article and why I was posting it here. I was too busy being sarcastic and forgot to explain. The article is a little lengthy, but well worth a read. The bias is, while expected, incredibly blatant, but even more so is the complete ignorance of gun laws. I was going more for that than other things that may have been taken from the article, like whether or not football players get paid too much. :rolleyes: However, the idea that humans shouldn't enjoy any passive activities does seem a bit ludicrous. Entertainment can do wonders for the psyche. Believe it or not, the entire entertainment industry isn't out solely to distract us from important issues. Apathy alone takes care of that...

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll just leave this here...

NFL players: Three out of four own guns

I especially liked the part where they write that Coach Dungy would ask players to 'register' their guns in Indiana. Hmmm... Anyone care to enlighten me as to where I could register my firearms, if I had any?

1acoverround3-4_3_r560.jpg

Saw the article while at McDonalds. Front page, above the fold, Friday edition of USA Today.

What we are getting is that most of the sports reporters are whimps, metrosexual momma's boys who have bought into the feminization of America. They were the kids who got beat up in high school by the jocks. Their revenge is to demonize sports and the athletes, to tear down anyone who is successful.

The article points out that with success comes those who will attack you. Money brings predators. And these athletes are men, not boys, who will fight back. Now how do we get them into being libertarians?

A couple of points from the article:

Former NFL running back Thomas Jones was always around guns, long before he became a football-carrying member of that unofficial gun club within the National Football League.

As a kid, he and his buddies fired guns in the woods in Big Stone Gap, Va. They'd shoot bottles and go hunting.

His dad had guns.

Jones bought his first gun his senior year at the University of Virginia, and, as a rookie with the Arizona Cardinals a dozen years ago, he learned quickly that guns were an ingrained part of the NFL culture.

This is a young black man who seems to have a lot in common with many rural white guys.

"Most guys when they first come into the league is when they first start to realize they need protection," Jones says. "Because money brings a lot of positive things. But most of the time, it brings more negative things. People don't like you for what you have, for who you are. They don't like you for what you represent. And people will go to any length to take what you have or harm you in some way just because they don't have what you have. If you don't have a firearm to protect you from situations and God forbid something happens to you, you wish you would have a firearm."
    Jones, who retired last season with the Kansas City Chiefs after 12 years in the league, was a big brother to young linebacker Jovan Belcher, who killed his girlfriend, and then himself, last Saturday.

Yet less than a week removed from the tragic shootings in Kansas City, NFL players aren't ready to give any ground on their belief that carrying guns is not only a right but, in their world, a necessity. Indeed, numerous players told USA TODAY Sports that in their estimation, roughly three-quarters of NFL players owned guns, compared with 40% to 45% of households in the general population, according to the National Rifle Association.

I think that the attempts to feminize sports will cause a backlash.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I'm definitely jealous of guys in the NFL and what they get paid. I'd have loved to been a long snapper, 3rd down only DL, or a clip board holder. They could sign me for league minimum and I would have been a happy camper.

My guess is the remaining 1 out of 4 probably doesn't use the recommended toothpaste either

Soap will leave your teeth and gums much cleaner feeling than toothpaste.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    NFL players are the poster children for the "welfare queen" image. There is no free market rate in the NFL, only a taxpayer subsidized market rate. If all owners had to build their own billion dollar places of business, they wouldn't have the money to pay huge wages. Thankfully here in Indy we can avoid the tax by just deducting 3-4% from the tip amount. Even better, don't spend your money at local establishments and instead eat at home and save your cash for more guns and ammo!

Top Bottom