• ...and so much more!
  • Which Survival Knife is Best??

• Total voters

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Esee or Becker BK-x is what you seek if you want a reasonable priced woods knife to beat on.

Personally, I just carry this when I go into the woods (but I'm normally going light/fast/far). I refuse to carry a heavy knife anymore. They're cool, but they really serve no actual purpose other than to be more weight for me to drag around.
    Mil-Spec-Wire-Saw-and-Derma-Safe-Knife.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally, I just carry this when I go into the woods (but I'm normally going light/fast/far). I refuse to carry a heavy knife anymore. They're cool, but they really serve no actual purpose other than to be more weight for me to drag around.

I'm the say way anymore. Last year I spent over a week on the Isle Royale and only used a swiss army fieldmaster. I'm going to Alaska in August and really debating on taking anything in addition to that same swiss army knife. Full disclosure though, I was with one other guy last year and will be with two guys on the upcoming trips. No need for the weight and bulk of making it a knife convention.

Big knives are cool, there's no getting around it, but I don't go outside to play with knives I can play with on the back yard. When I go outside these days, it's for an adventure.

OP, of the three mentioned for the survey, I'd go with the TOPS BOB. The Sog's of today aren't worth betting your life on. I would also agree with everyone trying to steer you towards an Esee.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm the say way anymore. Last year I spent over a week on the Isle Royale and only used a swiss army fieldmaster. I'm going to Alaska in August and really debating on taking anything in addition to that same swiss army knife. Full disclosure though, I was with one other guy last year and will be with two guys on the upcoming trips. No need for the weight and bulk of making it a knife convention.

Big knives are cool, there's no getting around it, but I don't go outside to play with knives I can play with on the back yard. When I go outside these days, it's for an adventure.

OP, of the three mentioned for the survey, I'd go with the TOPS BOB. The Sog's of today aren't worth betting your life on. I would also agree with everyone trying to steer you towards an Esee.

If everything goes well for you, your SAK will always be more than enough. If you have some problems, a larger knife that can help you do work more quickly may be of significant benefit. For example, if you have to start a fire quickly and the only dry wood and potential tinder is on the inside of some chunks that are damp on the outside. Being able to split that wood and feather some interior parts would be very helpful. Sure, you could do that with your SAK, but it will take more time and work.

A 3-4 inch fixed blade isn't much weight (unless it's super thick) and is a very capable with some skill (which we know you have!).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Esee or Becker BK-x is what you seek if you want a reasonable priced woods knife to beat on.

Mil-Spec-Wire-Saw-and-Derma-Safe-Knife.jpg

Specs, reviews and links on the cable saw? Is that the best one to go with?

I think I've gotta have a little more blade than that. At least a folding fillet knife, maybe the (often forgotten) Opinel #8 in my pocket right now?

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Specs, reviews and links on the cable saw? Is that the best one to go with?

I think I've gotta have a little more blade than that. At least a folding fillet knife, maybe the (often forgotten) Opinel #8 in my pocket right now?

Opinels are cool, very slicy and easy to sharpen on a ceramic coffee mug. That wood handle won't take much abuse though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Opinels are cool, very slicy and easy to sharpen on a ceramic coffee mug. That wood handle won't take much abuse though.

I'm hoping seedub's cable saw will take care of the rough stuff. Then I can save the delicate knife for finer work, such as fish and small game cleaning.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dont know.....not my pic. Mine is from somewhere in MN, don’t know the brand. Hell, at this point, I pretty much even leave the cable saw at home and just bring a derma-safe. Around here, there’s plenty of things to light on fire that are easy to just pick up.

I do take a specific knife for cleaning fish when I go into the boundary waters. It’s a pain in the ass to clean a fish with one of those derma-safe razors. It can be done but when I’m going specifically for fish and know I’m going to be cleaning a lot, I bring a fillet knife.

Never been in a position where a big knife would have got me out of trouble, and honestly can’t think of a realistic one.....if I can’t break branches or find something to get a fire started (never had that happen, I can pretty well always find something to light on fire), I’m still fine. Never count on having a fire. If you’re cold, change into dry clothes, set up your tent or bivy, and get in your sleeping bag.

I used to take a field knife with me.....just don’t see the need anymore, but to each their own. My pack is now down to a 36 liter for a week trip. Cut out the unnecessary stuff, and the hike is a lot better with a smaller and lighter pack. The question I ask these days when packing is “do I have to have this” or is this something I think is cool and I want to have this with me.

I'm hoping seedub's cable saw will take care of the rough stuff. Then I can save the delicate knife for finer work, such as fish and small game cleaning.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom