• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    For commercial ammo I just been using remington core lokt in whatever grain your gun likes. I use 180gr in personally since I don't reload for it yet.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It all depends on exactly what game you're hunting and at what distance.
    If you're after deer (Mule or Whitetail), you'll probably do your best using loads with 150 grain to 165 grain bullets
    If you're after elk or black bear, you're probably better served with 180 grain bullets, preferably premium bullets the likes of the Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, Remington Core Lokt Bonded, or Barnes TSX/TTSX, since these bullets are designed to hold together better on heavier game, where penetration is more important than with smaller game.
    If you're in search of moose, a 180 grain bullet would probably be okay, but it just might be worth it to use a 200 grain or even 220 grain bullet, again all being premium bullets, since moose can get up beyond 1000 pounds in exceptional cases.
    Whatever you're hunting and whatever bullet you're using, you'll be best served with spitzer (sharp pointed) bullets to maximize ballistic performance, especially at longer range.
    As for brands, it's all about preference, with the already mentioned Remington Core Lokt having a long and honored track record, but the selection and quality of factory ammo have never been better, with the likes of Federal, Winchester, Hornady, and now even Nosler and Barnes now selling factory ammo both with conventional bullets and with premium bullets.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I choose based on which one performs the best out of my rifle at the range. If you ask 10 different guys you will probably get 10 different answers. So buy two or three different brands. They don't have to be expensive. Federal Fusion is very affordable and gets very positive reviews, but it was designed primarily for deer. For elk, you may go with the Nosler Partiions or Accubonds. I took a real nice buck up in Wisconsin last November with Federal Fusion 180 grain.

I chose the Federal Fusion based on the groups I was getting with it out of my rifle. Maybe your rifle likes Federal blue box or Remington Core Lokts better. Federal Premiums with Nosler Partion bullets are a good pick, but you pay a little more for those. Honestly, if you hit a deer or an elk in the sweet spot with any one of those brands, its going down. So find the one your rifle likes best and go with it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I choose based on which one performs the best out of my rifle at the range. If you ask 10 different guys you will probably get 10 different answers. So buy two or three different brands. They don't have to be expensive. Federal Fusion is very affordable and gets very positive reviews, but it was designed primarily for deer. For elk, you may go with the Nosler Partiions or Accubonds. I took a real nice buck up in Wisconsin last November with Federal Fusion 180 grain.

I chose the Federal Fusion based on the groups I was getting with it out of my rifle. Maybe your rifle likes Federal blue box or Remington Core Lokts better. Federal Premiums with Nosler Partion bullets are a good pick, but you pay a little more for those. Honestly, if you hit a deer or an elk in the sweet spot with any one of those brands, its going down. So find the one your rifle likes best and go with it.

Right on there.
    The best advice is, as you mentioned, select the proper type bullet for your game that gives the best or at least acceptable groups out of your specific rifle.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mark 1911 again.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use 150 grain fmjbt for hunting season. Good for crows, groundhogs, rabbits, and squirrels. I only had one limp away after being shot. I chased after it and finished it off with a knife. It was kinda hairy for a while. I had the head mounted....

Top Bottom