• ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    Using data from several different reloading manuals, I developed the following load for use with my M1 Garand:

Powder/weight: IMR 4895 45 grains
    Primer WLR
    Brass: Remington (1X fired, cleaned, resized, trimmed to 2.485")
    Bullet: 168 grain BTHP
    Cartridge OAL: 3.285"

This load functions well in both my M1's, accuracy is acceptable and the rifles function (feed, eject) well.

The issue I have noticed is the primers are "set back" after firing. (They are flush or below upon reloading). They extend about 0.030" above the cartridge base.

Military surplus ammo (HXP, LC) does not exhibit this issue.

It has been suggested this might be a "light" load, but I am within 2 grains of the maximum load suggested in the Hornady manual.

Any thoughts or suggestions? As it doesn't affect function, I am not overly concerned, but it is odd?

Thanks!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The M1 does have a generous chamber, I would double check your shoulder measuremnts on your sizing. It can be dangerous to neck size only, but I would get a stoney point set up and check your loaded and fired rounds against the loaded and fired rounds that didn't have the problem. I had several M1s, including a match prepared one and never saw the primers backing out, even with 125 grain plinker loads.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    It is a little odd, first thing that comes to mind is the primer pocket itself leaning toward being a little loose? If your using a hand tool to prime your cases that may give you some idea of whether that may be the culprit.

I had a batch of HXP brass that didnt play well with my RCBS swaging tool some years back and the pockets were loose giving similar signs.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Go to mil brass[LC] or Winchester. Federal[worse] and Remington can be known for this.

Hickey- Try different brass.

In my experience with a similar recipe and Federal brass, I had no primer issues in my Garand, M1A, or AR.

Also, I agree with Leo, full length resize on semi-auto brass and get a good OAL on your gun's chamber - it'll shoot so much better...

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    The brass issue was one aspect I had considered, I'll definitely try different varieties of brass. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kevin

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The M1 does have a generous chamber, I would double check your shoulder measuremnts on your sizing. It can be dangerous to neck size only, but I would get a stoney point set up and check your loaded and fired rounds against the loaded and fired rounds that didn't have the problem. I had several M1s, including a match prepared one and never saw the primers backing out, even with 125 grain plinker loads.

Leo, with your permission, I will expand on your comment.

OP, what leo is saying is that you are full length resizing your brass too much.

There are tools to measure how far you are bumping the shoulder when full length resizing. Use these Stoney point tools to set your resizzing die so you are setting the shoulder back no more than .004 when full length resizing.

If you choose to not do this, no damage will occur, but you might see shorter brass life than if you do this.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I hadn't thought of the resizing aspect, I was resizing to fit my Wilson 30-06 chamber gage. I'll look into the Stoney Point tools. Thay should let me find a happy balance. Thanks sloughfoot for the advice!

Kevin

Top Bottom