• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Been looking at rifles for this next deer season. I had talked myself out of it this year till the last Saturday of firearm season. I could have filled my firearm tag, a buck was just outside my comfort zone for my 30-30. I decided that next year I will be shooting either a 30-06 or a 308. I have been looking online and doing some research and decided on the Mossberg Patriot with a Vortex Copperhead 4-12x44. What I can't decide is if I want 30-06 or 308. Research is showing me that they very close as far as ballistics. What am I missing here? Is there any advantage in one over the other? Max shooting distance would be 175 yards and I already reload so ammo price is not an issue. As always, thank you for your input.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Been looking at rifles for this next deer season. I had talked myself out of it this year till the last Saturday of firearm season. I could have filled my firearm tag, a buck was just outside my comfort zone for my 30-30. I decided that next year I will be shooting either a 30-06 or a 308. I have been looking online and doing some research and decided on the Mossberg Patriot with a Vortex Copperhead 4-12x44. What I can't decide is if I want 30-06 or 308. Research is showing me that they very close as far as ballistics. What am I missing here? Is there any advantage in one over the other? Max shooting distance would be 175 yards and I already reload so ammo price is not an issue. As always, thank you for your input.

30-06 has a lot more ammo options available and would probably provide more opportunities to use it for things other than white-tails. But the main thing is this: Thank you for showing restraint and passing on a shot you felt was iffy for what you were shooting. The animals deserve this kind of discipline and good judgment.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    30-06 has a lot more ammo options available and would probably provide more opportunities to use it for things other than white-tails. But the main thing is this: Thank you for showing restraint and passing on a shot you felt was iffy for what you were shooting. The animals deserve this kind of discipline and good judgment.

Been hunting for more than a few years. Killed alot of deer over the years and I have never lost one. Thanks for your reply...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Unless you might end up going out of state to hunt mule deer, elk or bear, the .308 would be my choice.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I agree with Expat. Unless you are inclined to use the rifle for elk, moose, bear, etc. in the future, 308 has the advantage in:

Cheaper ammo.
    Softer recoil.
    Shorter bolt throw. (Assuming a bolt gun?)
    Less meat damage. (.308 is plenty for whitetail.)

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Also consider that the majority of factory loads are ballistically comparable between the 30-06 and 308 (similar speeds for similar projectiles).
    Unless you were reloading your own the 30-06 doesn't have much advantage.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Ballistically they are very similar, good choice. As for your of rifles, think twice. I bought one thinking it would be just the thing. After $100 in ammo, trying 3 different scopes, and working on the bedding the best it would shoot was about 6" @ 100 yds. Though losing some money I traded it for a 788 Remington in .308. It holds moa groups, easily. Yes I'm a fool for old rusty trucks/jeeps, lost dogs, and guns that look like they were found under the seat of the truck just before it was to be crushed. Old, beat, scared up, and still put'em in small groups...................<><Duce

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Ballistically they are very similar, good choice. As for your of rifles, think twice. I bought one thinking it would be just the thing. After $100 in ammo, trying 3 different scopes, and working on the bedding the best it would shoot was about 6" @ 100 yds. Though losing some money I traded it for a 788 Remington in .308. It holds moa groups, easily. Yes I'm a fool for old rusty trucks/jeeps, lost dogs, and guns that look like they were found under the seat of the truck just before it was to be crushed. Old, beat, scared up, and still put'em in small groups...................<><Duce

Just curious, what caliber did you have? Bad rifle maybe? I have not heard anything negative about these rifles.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, without going back and checking, you might be able to get an extra 50-100fps out of the 30-06 with some bullets. You'll also be able to use some bullets (twist rate allowing) that would normally be considered too heavy for a .308. Now is this of value to you? I would say probably not for white tail, unless you're hunting fields.

Short actions, in theory, are better, because they are naturally stiffer. In a hunting rifle this difference is meaningless.

The .308 is more efficient, but not a whole lot more. So from a powder perspective it is slightly cheaper to shoot. This doesn't matter unless you intend to practice or plink much with this rifle.

The .308 is easily loaded down for smaller frame shooters. I don't know if this is as easily done with the 30-06 or not.

So is there a difference? A bit. But I wouldn't overthink it. Ammo availability will be there for a long time for both cartridges, with the advantage being to the .308 with the milsurp options. Components are the same, other than the 30-06 utilizing some powders just a bit too slow for the .308. Both are classic American hunting rounds. If it were me, I would keep an open mind while shopping, and get the nicest rifle at the best price, whether that left you with a .308 or a 30-06.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    If it were me, I would keep an open mind while shopping, and get the nicest rifle at the best price, whether that left you with a .308 or a 30-06.[/QUOTE]

I agree an if it were me, I'd look for an older but lightly used Remington 700 BDL, better bluing, better wood, better rifle, IMHO.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Quick PS. It was a Patriot in .308. My feeling was that when they finished the barrel (blueing?) It fouled up the bore some how, as I could never get a clean patch out it and it would foul with jacket medal terribly.....................:@ya:<><Duce

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the two cartridges until you start reaching for distance.
    The '06 will outperform the .308 over longer distances but we're talking long distance now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Get whichever you prefer.
    The .30-06 still enjoys a decisive edge with heavier bullets and for shooting a bit farther, especially if you roll your own ammo.
    The bigger cartridge is also more versatile for bigger game, and (using a premium bullet, specifically the 200 grain Nosler partition) is even considered the practical minimum acceptable cartridge for Grizzly.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I want to thank everyone who replied. I still have some thinking to do. I just hate to second guess myself after I have made the purchase. I couple post have made me wonder now if the Mossberg is the correct decision. I still have some time before I have to make a decision. It does sound like the 308 is the way to go. Though I would love to leave the state for an elk hunt, it will probably not happen. Thanks again guys...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have killed several deer with both, and honestly can't tell much difference between the 2. If you want factory loaded options, 308 has a definite edge. But if you're a reloader, it's kind of a wash. I think the best advice you got in this thread was from Woobie, in keeping an open mind and getting the best rifle you can (within your budget), in either caliber. I am not a Mossberg fan for what it's worth, and would try to push you towards something like a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger M77, ....... with the best glass you can afford.

Top Bottom