• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    I went there today to look around at one .22 handguns and spotted a few boxes of Speer LE Gold Dot soft point ammo priced at $34.99 for a box of 20. This is the first time I have spotted .30 Carbine anywhere in a while.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    They are selling 30 Carbine ammunition for $1.75/ea? That wasn't even for 50 rounds? Most 30 Carbine is sold 50 to a box. Please tell me it was 50!?! :eek:

I reload it for less than 30 cents per round...and if I had to pay much more than that, I do believe I'd put that old gun in the closet and just leave it there.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    The soft point ammo is usually 20 rounds per box and the FMJ are packed 50 to a box from what I have seen. The prices are ridiculous, a box of 50 FMJ that used to cost $25.99 goes for $39.99.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    .30 carbine is sadly not a top caliber round and right now the ammo companies are working around the clock to fill and keep inventory of the top calibers (.223, 9mm, etc..) so .30 carbine is going to be a bit higher. But at $1+ that is way too high. Glad I can reload for this caliber.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    :hijack:

Will a .30 Carbine 115 grain bullet be worthwhile to load onto a 30-30 case? I know this is off topic, sorry.
    icon11.gif

I find myself with several thousand of them and while I do reload .30 carbine, I need something to shoot from my 30-30 more.

OK, you may return to the regular topic. :D

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    :hijack:

Will a .30 Carbine 115 grain bullet be worthwhile to load onto a 30-30 case? I know this is off topic, sorry.
    icon11.gif

I find myself with several thousand of them and while I do reload .30 carbine, I need something to shoot from my 30-30 more.

OK, you may return to the regular topic. :D

No worry at all and since you reload how hard is it? I might have to start reloading if ammo prices stay like this.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, I already knew the answer to my question... they make n ice 30-30 plinkers actually.

Are you asking how hard is it to reload? Not very hard at all really.
    It takes a little time, some money to but the equipment needed (a press & dies for the calibers you want to reload and some other things to prepare the cases and such plus a scale to weigh your load charges) and the components (cases, powder, primers & projectiles) and then a manual or two for data and some "How To" knowledge. That is if you do this at the most basic level, of course it goes from there to massive spending to include learning to cast your onw bullets and everything.

I have saved myself thousands of collars over the years reloading and that doesn't include now where prices are ridiculous and I am still using cases, powder, primers and projectiles I bought last summer to make my ammo. I still buy stuff to keep my basic stores refreshed but I don't need to pay lots to do it since I can wait for places like Profire, MidwayUSA and other places that aren't gouging to get something in for me. Plus, I have the satisfaction of shooting ammo I had crafted. I like to be able to say that. I do cast many of my own boolits as well these days.

Sorry to have intruded. I just thought I would inject the idea here too. Reloading is a great way to avoid these panics but The Panic has also hit reloading stuff this time which is rather odd. Usually reloading stuff isn't touched by ammo panics that much, but this time even reloading equipment in all the old familiar calibers is like trying to buy the ammo. My suggestion though is to do that rather than keep trying to score a few bits and pieces of ammo here and there. Save your brass for what you shoot and reload when you finally get your equipment together. Not long ago I sold a set of .30 Carbine dies cheap right here on INGO so keep your eyes on the forum sales areas too. The good folks who reload here are standing by to help you learn how to do this too. Just ask your questions and we will do our best to answer. :ingo:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Warthog,

I'll buy as many of those 30 Carbine blem bullets as you would be willing to part with.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    That Speer Gold Dot is reported to be pretty durn good SD/HD ammo. At the price it sells for nobody will be out shooting it.
    We bought a bunch and shot up several boxes to check function and POA/POI.
    I would like to see another big batch of Prvi hit the market.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    That Speer Gold Dot is reported to be pretty durn good SD/HD ammo. At the price it sells for nobody will be out shooting it.
    We bought a bunch and shot up several boxes to check function and POA/POI.
    I would like to see another big batch of Prvi hit the market.

I bought one box because I've heard really good things about it and I need more HD ammo. Since I use my M1 for HD I'd rather not use FMJ rounds. I just wish I was able to find cheaper soft point ammo.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    When I need HD ammo that won't over-penetrate, and won't break the bank, I settle on #7-1/2 or #6 lead shot, from a 12-gauge. Perhaps not AS handy as a carbine rifle, but the distinctive sound of a pump shotgun being charged may be just as effective at deterring an intruder as actual shots fired?

For plinking with the ol' 30 Carbine, I'll reload when the bullets and powder are available. :)

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    I want to get a 12 gauge but until then Ill use the M1. I found a scope mount for my M1 that doesn't require me to replace the rear sights, so I plan on putting a small scope on the M1 and seeing how that works.

Top Bottom