• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Fair warning I've got a long one for you fine folks today, but I think you'll find it worthwhile.

Recently I was thinking about the .30 Carbine cartridge and how it came to be. I understand the concept behind the light rifle trials in the early 40s and it makes sense that the .30 Carbine was developed given the knowledge at the time. Time proved the M1 Carbine and .30 Carbine round to be a decent pair with a respectable service life.

However.....I have a theory that the .30 Carbine cartridge could have never (and maybe shouldn't have) existed.
    th-4123964162.jpg
    To add background, the army light rifle trial was set to arm rear line and non infantry troops with a more effective weapon than the 1911 pistol. Imagine being a truck driver or artillery crew and having the choice between a 2 pound handgun or a 9 lb battle rifle..... Handgun is mostly useless and a rifle is usually too much burden. You'll be more than happy to take the 5 lb handy carbine. So the "personal defense weapon" concept I think is solid and the 6 million carbines made, proves that. They were well liked then and still highly sought after today. Just think of how much fun you could have with 6 million of these little guys
    th-1794003352.jpg
    th-1773089900.jpg th-831405162.jpg
    However the elephant in the room is its compromise cartridge... 3x the energy and 2x the range of .45 ACP. Yet 1/3 power and 1/3 range of .30-06. It is very high drag, slowing quickly with steep trajectory. It more or less just pokes 30 cal holes past 100 yds in FMJ form.

.30 Carbine left. 5.56 NATO right.
    th-3626881174-1.jpg
    th-4265602372.jpg
    Winchester formulated .30 Carbine from an existing cartridge called .32 Win Self Loading. It closely fit the requirements needed for the trials and was relatively quick to make work. Delete the rim, change the bullet diameter and presto you now have a modern magnum pistol caliber similar-ish to 357 magnum ballistics.

However....... I propose that if the Army hadn't had the .27 caliber minimum trial requirements.... We could have had a much more effective outcome!
    th-1803720396.jpg
    22-250, 5.56, 22 K Hornet, 22 Hornet

Then the Hero arrives....22 K Hornet! This cartridge came out in 1940 and was a much needed face lift from the ugly but loved 22 hornet.

-It can push a 50 grain bullet at 2700 fps
    -it would have added at least 100 yards of effective range to .30 carbine.
    -It is the same length as .30 carbine
    -it is a similar pressure to .30 carbine.
    -a rimless variant would fit in the M1 carbine.
    -In FMJ it would have been terminally superior to 30 carbine.
    -ammunition would be much lighter

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that a variant of the K hornet could have been chosen during the M1 carbines development.

The K hornet is AWFULLY similar to the 5.56 which of course was adopted 20 years later. Which spawned a whole new world standard of small caliber high velocity infantry arms.

If .22 K Hornet could have been adopted and the small caliber high velocity concept proved earlier....... We may have never even seen the .308 battle rifle generation of the 50s and 60s. This pains me to say as I love .308 battle rifles. But theoretically if .22 K hornet was utilized in WW2, the M14 probably would never existed. Maybe the M16 and 5.56 development would look different even. Who knows?! There's a whole ripple effect of changes that would spawn from us getting basically diet 5.56 carbines decades before 5.56 became standard.

Anyways thanks for reading my insane ramblings. Hope it gets the gears goin in your heads as it has mine.
    :nuts::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I would have to add the 300 Savage in as an alternative. It has been around since '19 and has similar punch to the larger .308.

To me the 30 carbine reminds me of the ammo for the Pederson device which was designed to win the war in the spring of '19 but it ended in the fall of '18.

Well, at least the R&D from between the world wars gave us the M1 Garand. It was supposed to be a smaller caliber but the .gov changed their minds...

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I would have to add the 300 Savage in as an alternative. It has been around since '19 and has similar punch to the larger .308.

To me the 30 carbine reminds me of the ammo for the Pederson device which was designed to win the war in the spring of '19 but it ended in the fall of '18.

Well, at least the R&D from between the world wars gave us the M1 Garand. It was supposed to be a smaller caliber but the .gov changed their minds...
    I think 300 savage would have been a better round for the battle rifle than the lengthy 30-06. There’s a lot to love about 300 savage and I think it gets overlooked.

But for the light rifle requirements it wouldn’t have been able to make it. Simply too powerful for the nimble constraints of the carbine. I believe the weight requirement was 5 lbs. I’m guessing a carbine capable of handling 300 savage would end up around 7lbs

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I was coming at it from a different direction, if the weight of the battle rifle was less then would there be a need for a lighter version?
    You might be right. Hadn’t considered that angle. Sounds a lot like phasing out rifle sized M16s and issuing more M4 carbines to me.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've considered redoing an M1 Carbine into a .22 Spitfire chambering.
    Also known as 5.7 Johnson.

It is 30 carbine necked down to use a 5.7 bullet.
    Ordinance did test the cartridge but rejected it.

The K Hornet cartridge would have been too much of a redesign for the carbine. 5.7 Johnson required nothing but a barrel change.

1695387199650.png

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    General McArthur wanted the newly developed M1 Garand to be .270 caliber, but with millions of rounds left in inventory from WWI and earlier, Ordinance over-ruled him and stayed with the .30-06.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    To be a little more exact it was .276 or 7mm. The .270 comes from a different round.

The .270 is a cambered down version of the 30'03, which is what the 1903 Springfield was originally chambered. The testing was not what they were wanting so the went back to the drawing board and came up with a slightly shortened 30'06.

Pederson, over at Remington, had developed his version of a 7mm cartridge the .276 that was a waxed projectile. Thompson followed his lead and the Navy along with the Marines were googly eyed for this round despite the horrors of trying to use it in battle conditions, especially sandy environments.

It was MacArthur who finally said 'no change' but that was after 3 years of bickering and development of the .276. In fact the powers that be leaked that 'no change' info to Garand at Springfield long before it was made available to the other interested parties. So when testing time came round and they gave the bad news to all the eligible manufacturers they all stood there with long faces except for Garand who handed him the US caliber 30 M1.

This is very abbreviated and editorialized but nothing has ever been simple or left to the experts in the history of our government and it all goes around with massive behind the scenes workings that leans one way or the other. The whole process took from 1922 to the M1's adoption in 1936 with massive amounts of private money being spent by numerous manufacturers for the fix to be in. All the while the Garand went from a clear loser to a stalemate to the winner in the testing being done. I absolutely love all my M1's, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it have been interesting to see what an honest contest on a level playing surface could have turned out?

It makes you think...

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    To be a little more exact it was .276 or 7mm. The .270 comes from a different round.

The .270 is a cambered down version of the 30'03, which is what the 1903 Springfield was originally chambered. The testing was not what they were wanting so the went back to the drawing board and came up with a slightly shortened 30'06.

Pederson, over at Remington, had developed his version of a 7mm cartridge the .276 that was a waxed projectile. Thompson followed his lead and the Navy along with the Marines were googly eyed for this round despite the horrors of trying to use it in battle conditions, especially sandy environments.

It was MacArthur who finally said 'no change' but that was after 3 years of bickering and development of the .276. In fact the powers that be leaked that 'no change' info to Garand at Springfield long before it was made available to the other interested parties. So when testing time came round and they gave the bad news to all the eligible manufacturers they all stood there with long faces except for Garand who handed him the US caliber 30 M1.

This is very abbreviated and editorialized but nothing has ever been simple or left to the experts in the history of our government and it all goes around with massive behind the scenes workings that leans one way or the other. The whole process took from 1922 to the M1's adoption in 1936 with massive amounts of private money being spent by numerous manufacturers for the fix to be in. All the while the Garand went from a clear loser to a stalemate to the winner in the testing being done. I absolutely love all my M1's, don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it have been interesting to see what an honest contest on a level playing surface could have turned out?

It makes you think...
    thanks for the update.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    This is where the tragedy lies in the story. The M1 in .276 would have been a better move. It would have been more than powerful enough at the time and it would have been shorter, a pound lighter and ten rds in a clip rather than eight. It also could have been adopted sooner and far more rifles would have been in hand at the start of WWII. There wouldn't have been any 1903 bolt guns issued,.....Marines would have had real rifles from the start. We would have been far further along in both procurement and manufacture had the rifle just been accepted in .276.

Arguably an even lighter carbine version could have been produced cutting another pound of weight. Couldn't get down to the 5# weight of the M1C but it wouldn't have had to suffer from an under-powered, non-standard caliber either. Conversion to detachable magazine would have been an obvious upgrade, so there goes the M14 from history. And without the M14, all the FALs and G3s cease to exist as well. Would the AR15 ever be born? Maybe,....maybe not. A seven pound .276 carbine would still have better range and 'power' than the pigged out M16A2s we ended up with.

The whole argument about forcing .30-06 into the M1 due to left over ammo stocks was stupid anyway. Doubtless we did have tons of .30-06, but it was all packaged on Springfield strippers or Browning machinegun belts. Maybe some loose for filling belts, but no M1 rifle fired in WWII ever saw ammo that wasn't already loaded into M1 clips so it was ALL new production ammo. Ever see pics of soldiers fumbling to fill M1 clips with loose rounds? No, you don't see that. It didn't happen. What we had in stock was easily burned through by the Brownings. Anything already in strippers probably got stripped into BAR mags.

If chambering the M1 in .30-06 was an effort to avoid having a non-standard caliber in the system, it was a total failure once 6 million M1 Carbines entered the war, and that cartridge never did anything else in history. The .276 would still be with us today.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This is where the tragedy lies in the story. The M1 in .276 would have been a better move. It would have been more than powerful enough at the time and it would have been shorter, a pound lighter and ten rds in a clip rather than eight. It also could have been adopted sooner and far more rifles would have been in hand at the start of WWII. There wouldn't have been any 1903 bolt guns issued,.....Marines would have had real rifles from the start. We would have been far further along in both procurement and manufacture had the rifle just been accepted in .276.

Arguably an even lighter carbine version could have been produced cutting another pound of weight. Couldn't get down to the 5# weight of the M1C but it wouldn't have had to suffer from an under-powered, non-standard caliber either. Conversion to detachable magazine would have been an obvious upgrade, so there goes the M14 from history. And without the M14, all the FALs and G3s cease to exist as well. Would the AR15 ever be born? Maybe,....maybe not. A seven pound .276 carbine would still have better range and 'power' than the pigged out M16A2s we ended up with.

The whole argument about forcing .30-06 into the M1 due to left over ammo stocks was stupid anyway. Doubtless we did have tons of .30-06, but it was all packaged on Springfield strippers or Browning machinegun belts. Maybe some loose for filling belts, but no M1 rifle fired in WWII ever saw ammo that wasn't already loaded into M1 clips so it was ALL new production ammo. Ever see pics of soldiers fumbling to fill M1 clips with loose rounds? No, you don't see that. It didn't happen. What we had in stock was easily burned through by the Brownings. Anything already in strippers probably got stripped into BAR mags.

If chambering the M1 in .30-06 was an effort to avoid having a non-standard caliber in the system, it was a total failure once 6 million M1 Carbines entered the war, and that cartridge never did anything else in history. The .276 would still be with us today.
    Both in WWII and Korea, in the slack time, GI's would eject the partially used enbloc clips and top them off but I agree there were no battle times when this would happen.

We stole the design from the Germans, why didn't we just adapt the round as well when we went to the '03? They were 7mm before the Germans went to 8mm, then the whole American continent would have been 7mm. Instead we convince South American countries to go .30 cal and pay for their conversions and give them millions of rounds of ammo for free (to them) but a burden to our tax payers along with having payed royalties to the Germans.

Our .gov has always stepped over five dollar bills to pick up nickels...

Top Bottom