• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I also have had decent results with an AR Stoner barrel. I have been using a 5 MOA red dot and getting 3" groups at 100 yds. I have not been set up for accuracy but it is accepable considering. I had H110 available and 110, 125, and 155 308 bullets to experiment with and have been pleased thus far.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    just put many more.rounds downrange this afternoon. It is simply deplorable. I can only imagine the scope mount is off. I've got a ridiculously expensive Leopold scope on it. Warner mount...maybe the mount? I used a torque wrench.

The best groups I could get together were around 4" for 5 shots

Pulled out a box of boxer primed (boo) S & B and had rounds impacting feet off center...mostly low right

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm shooting a aero precision upper with a 10" barrel and an Omega on the end. I have a new phone and I didn't transfer all of my photos over or else I'd show the groups I shot before deer season (they were good). I have a simple Vortex 1x4 PST on top of it.

I think the 110's and 125's are the way to go I think. I have found the sierra 125 SMKs to perform the best. The pro hunters are ok if you are looking for something to practice with or go out and shoot more cheaply. I load mine with lil gun to sierras specs. I found out the ground work they did was not in vain.
    I have never grouped my subs but I can smack the flapper on a small target and contact my smaller pistol plates at 60-75 yards with boring regularity. If you want groups and to see what your gun can do though, you should be shooting supers for that IMO.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    just put many more.rounds downrange this afternoon. It is simply deplorable. I can only imagine the scope mount is off. I've got a ridiculously expensive Leopold scope on it. Warner mount...maybe the mount? I used a torque wrench.

The best groups I could get together were around 4" for 5 shots

Pulled out a box of boxer primed (boo) S & B and had rounds impacting feet off center...mostly low right

Just curious, but were you shooting the Rem, Sig, or Hornady stuff? I have found some of the Rem stuff to be hit and miss as far as being consistent. That's in grouping and through a chrono.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm shooting a aero precision upper with a 10" barrel and an Omega on the end. I have a new phone and I didn't transfer all of my photos over or else I'd show the groups I shot before deer season (they were good). I have a simple Vortex 1x4 PST on top of it.

I think the 110's and 125's are the way to go I think. I have found the sierra 125 SMKs to perform the best. The pro hunters are ok if you are looking for something to practice with or go out and shoot more cheaply. I load mine with lil gun to sierras specs. I found out the ground work they did was not in vain.
    I have never grouped my subs but I can smack the flapper on a small target and contact my smaller pistol plates at 60-75 yards with boring regularity. If you want groups and to see what your gun can do though, you should be shooting supers for that IMO.

I understand your point. I bought the upper to make an SBR that would be roughly the same size as my other AR's when sporting a can. I'm not opposed to supers but it's really got a stall in my barn for the subsonic. All that and I spot about half and half trying to figure out what shoots well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I understand your point. I bought the upper to make an SBR that would be roughly the same size as my other AR's when sporting a can. I'm not opposed to supers but it's really got a stall in my barn for the subsonic. All that and I spot about half and half trying to figure out what shoots well.

I understand what you mean. I keep mine loaded with subs almost exclusively... I honestly shoot steel constantly and as I said I've not really grouped my subs. I have a bunch loaded up though, if I have time this weekend I may shoot some cardboard at about 50 yards and see how they shoot. I honestly haven't worried about how tight the group is so long as I hear the steel ring, and head shots at 25 are stupid easy. At what distance are you getting 4 or 5" groups? If that's at 100 with subs I'd be ok with that I think. If it's at 25 yards then that's a different story.

I'll give it a go and report back. I'm also shooting cast and coated projectiles. If they don't group well I may load up some 208 grain amax' I've got and see how they do. That may be the better test, but I know the barrel shoots due to how it'll shoot supers.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    After checking it over it's a 9" barrel and the twist is 1:7

The 4-5" groups are at 100 with supers
    the subs at 50 were just as bad

I had every intention of shooting economical coated lead rounds for a variety of purposes with the option to shoot smaller critters (groundhogs and pigs) with more tailor designed projectiles. And the can...once purchased, is an expected marriage...to death do they part

I used my SSA trigger group today to possibly eliminate whatever I could from the equation

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ahh you've got the 9" BCM upper with the 8" rail? I've been lusting over one of those! I am going to have to pick one up soon. A friend of mine has one, if he's up for it next time I shoot with him I'll ask him to shoot a group.
    I honestly have no idea what it could be, you have a nice scope also, and it's not like you are getting those groups from a red dot... If you keep having tons of issues, shoot me a PM and I'll shoot with you if you like. i'll bring my 300 and some of the subs I've loaded up and we can shoot them through yours and see how it does. I know my subs won't cycle without a can though, at least not well.
    I also bet once you buy your first can you'll buy more... It always starts with "just one" and then your pockets empty it seems! I've bought more cans than guns or anything else over the last year or so!

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    20170311_182629_001.jpg

This is a 5 round group worth sub sonic loading from Sig at the end of our range time. My son was shooting the 17, which you can see his initial groupings. He went on to hit an apple at 200 on his first attempt after sighting in the rig to 100. But, enough of being a proud dad, I was able to make a decent 50 subsonic group. I put a much higher magnification optic and a precision lower on my 300aac. Unfortunately I am short on super sonic round selection. The bulk bucket from Remington did not impress at 100.

We are traveling to wabash this coming Saturday. I'll have to restock quickly.

I'm quite certain the accuracy problem was the scope mount. We'll see once my larue gets here.

Top Bottom