.300 Blackout ammo suggestions for hog, deer, bad guys...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have my SBR upper at the gunsmith for a new Wilson Combat 11.3" .300 Blackout barrel. (1/8 twist) This will primarily be a home defense, or SHTF gun so as much as I hate to say it, the ability to stop a bad guy is priority #1. Quietness is not a priority, but I would like suggestions in both subsonic and supersonic rounds. I figure any subsonic load with a can will be quiet enough for indoor work. I would also like to be able to take people sized game like hogs and deer, so I'm looking for suggestions in a good hunter/killer round for this, my first foray into the cartridge. I do not reload, just need recommendations on factory loads.

Thank you.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    For bad guys I'm running 208amax from Freedom Munitions and Ozark Ordnance. Both suppressed. I haven't worked it out a lot but I can hit at around 100 yards so I'm happy for now.

This summer I would like to see what I can do with some lighter bullets.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    jd's suggestions are really good for Subs. I am running 125 Nosler Ballistic tips. They have been fantastic on deer, and based on that performance I'd be confident using them on hogs, or anything else for that matter. I'm confident with them out to 200yds, and they are said to expand down to 1600FPS, which is about that point as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^^ I'm also a big fan of 125grain projectiles. It honestly depends on distances, if it's in a home defense roll it'll still get the job done not matter if there may be something better or not. 125's really get out there too. So i'll just put it this way, if I'm not running subs that's my projectile weight of choice.

Jigga

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    I have to say Gemtech 187gr Subsonic makes a Great all around load. It groups consistent and performs well.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have to say Gemtech 187gr Subsonic makes a Great all around load. It groups consistent and performs well.

I know I asked for recommendations of both sub and super sonic rounds, but whatever "all around" load I settle on will be super sonic. My main reason for trying the .300 is more power. They have a slight edge in energy over the 5.56 in a SBR with super sonics because the 5.56 loses so much in short barrels. The fact that bullet makers are making many choices for this round now, instead of just loading .308 Win bullets should help with their performance at the intended .300 blackout ranges. (close) Sub sonic capabilities out of the same rifle is great, but they give up a lot of energy so I will only use sub sonics for those times when I need to be quiet, or just want to have fun.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Thanks.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I know I asked for recommendations of both sub and super sonic rounds, but whatever "all around" load I settle on will be super sonic. My main reason for trying the .300 is more power. They have a slight edge in energy over the 5.56 in a SBR with super sonics because the 5.56 loses so much in short barrels. The fact that bullet makers are making many choices for this round now, instead of just loading .308 Win bullets should help with their performance at the intended .300 blackout ranges. (close) Sub sonic capabilities out of the same rifle is great, but they give up a lot of energy so I will only use sub sonics for those times when I need to be quiet, or just want to have fun.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Thanks.

The bullet I want to play with is the Barnes 110 TSX "Black Tip". It is supposedly optimized for the 300BLK. You can push 110's well over 2000FPS in a Short Barrel, and given the construction, they are supposed to have good terminal ballistics.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Second the Barnes Blacktip. I use the TAC-TX ammo in my deer hunting rifle (10" SBR). I hunt in Wisonsin and have taken deer the last 3 years. They never go farther than about 30 yards with HUGE blood trails. This was this year's deer.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    In the thread I started a few weeks back, which was very similar except that I am loading 300 blk, someone got me looking more at the 110 VMAX. I thought, "but that is a varmint round?" The 110 Barnes TAC-TX seem to be universally well regarded and considered to be the best, but the Hornady vmax seems to be pretty good for a lot less money.

I feel, after having considered all of the information I read, that we tend to get results skewed for hunters used to large game where penetration is more paramount than expansion. I feel that humans and deer tend to lack the tough hides and dense layers of thick muscle that larger game hunters are used to, so the explosive nature of the Vmax would work just fine and maybe be preferred? The only failure I can see for white tail, and I think someone mentioned this, might be that Vmax would probably have less than ideal performance if you hit the shoulder. I also would not take shots from the direct 6 oclock on deer with them like you might be able to with a shotgun slug or 458. (Last year I learned that a 458 Barnes 300 ttsx passes from tail through pubic bone and then through the sternum on a buck.) I read some guys saying that the explosive performance of the vmax may, "destroy a lot of meat", but if you are doing it right I don't know what meat you are hitting? I don't eat the lungs or the ribs....

I think that factory 300 blk loads in the 110 Vmax should be pretty easy to find and I am also pretty sure that the Zmax are the same thing if that is all you come by,.... but with the gimmicky green tip. This varies by caliber, so I have read.

I still have about 80 rounds of Double Tap in the Barnes, but I am developing ladders for the VMAX as I think those make a lot of sense as a cost effective alternative. I don't know if you can buy them factory loaded, but I am getting ready to start loading the 220 SMKs for a subsonic round. I just bought them to play with, I don't think they would be very effective in a defensive or hunting role.

Top Bottom