• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    What are others thoughts on the .300 Blackout cartridge for having on hand in SHTF? While I believe there are some advantages to the .300 Blackout over .223/5.56, I'm starting to think that there are just not enough advantages to make it a practical caliber for prepping.

The advantages (these are opinions)
    • ballistic performance
    • subsonic capabilities
    • ?

Disadvantages
    • Ammo prices
    • Ammo availability currently
    • Ammo availability in a SHTF situation.

What do you think?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would tend to go with 22lr, 9mm, 223 and 308..

Was it easy to find 300 last summer ? How about 2 years ago ?
    I'll tell you, it was non existent..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've entertained the thought of having a 300BLK upper around with at least 1K rounds. I like the idea of having them stuck away all but forgotten about until needed for specific usage or ammo availability versatility.

I never seem to have the funds when the great deals pop up and visa versa.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I've entertained the thought of having a 300BLK upper around with at least 1K rounds. I like the idea of having them stuck away all but forgotten about until needed for specific usage or ammo availability versatility.

I never seem to have the funds when the great deals pop up and visa versa.

I have a 300BLK upper, but cant seem to justify the funds to stock the ammo for it. That brings me to the reason I posted the question. Might be time to depart from 300BLK and go with a bolt action and 5.56 AR and call it a day.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think if you reload 300blk then there isn't really a down side. I mean, you would then control your ammo supply and you could "stock up" on as much as you'd like!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a 300BLK upper, but cant seem to justify the funds to stock the ammo for it. That brings me to the reason I posted the question. Might be time to depart from 300BLK and go with a bolt action and 5.56 AR and call it a day.

Then comes the question of whether it's a worthwhile investment to hide that upper (or just the barrel?) in the back corner of the safe? On the chance that your 5.56 availability dries up and there is 300BLK (or .308 bullets) around that fewer folks are able to use?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you are not a reloader, it probably doesn't make much sense. In a SHTF situation its almost certain that 5.56 or .223 will be more available, unless the cause of said SHTF scenario also resulted in access to that ammo being next to impossible. If that was the case, its pretty likely that just about any caliber would be hard to get ahold of.

I reload, and already have components on hand to load .223 and .308, so by default have components to make 300BLK. As such, I have a quantity on hand to make sure I have plenty for each caliber on hand for those emergency trips to the range. :)

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Then comes the question of whether it's a worthwhile investment to hide that upper (or just the barrel?) in the back corner of the safe? On the chance that your 5.56 availability dries up and there is 300BLK (or .308 bullets) around that fewer folks are able to use?

You make a good point about stashing a 300BLK barrel. If the need arose, could repurpose a 5.56.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Having some 300 AAC wouldn't hurt, but if you are short of your go to ammo, stock that first. I'm not in the camp that you need 3000 rounds of each, as I don't think anyone will survive to shoot that many rounds. Once you've got the number of rounds you feel is prudent, I say go for the 300 AAC, especially if you have a 9" barrel AR pistol or SBR, and especially if you have a 30 cal suppressor. That combo brings some capabilities to your bug in arsenal that you don't have with 5.56 or 308. Would I choose 300 AAC for my bug out gun? Probably not, due to the ammo availability issue, but then again, that ammo is going to wind up in someone's stash PDQ and won't be available to you without a fight anyway.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's more than just a reloader's round, it is a caster's round. I recycle the lead in my bullet trap into more 300blk bullets and my shooting costs are less than a nickle a round. Casting for the .223 can be done, but it is not an easy thing.

SHTF though and I'm either going to be dead after the first few running gun battles, or I am going to have plenty of time. I stopped worrying about these things a long time ago and just shoot what I enjoy.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    No.
    If you want to run suppressed. Stick with the same pistol caliber you carry on your side.
    If you're wanting a supersonic round 556/223 does just as good a job and it weighs less.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Do you already have your stock of 223/556 and other calibers take care of? If no, don't get a 300BLK yet.

If you're thinking about getting one, then
    If you can get a 300BLK upper at a good price, keep the upper onhand & maybe a few boxes.
    If you reload, save any 223/556 & make it yourself. If a 223/556 case cracks at the mouth, it's possible to still cutdown & convert to 300 for a few more shots. Also buy used 223 brass cheap.
    If you already have a 308 caliber & you reload, then you already stock the necessary components.

The Cabelas & Gander I've driven to lately have a really good variety of 300 factory ammo, so I think it's gaining enough that it will become more prevailent. Once you start seeing it in Walmart, then you know it's cheap enough to get.

Top Bottom