• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I went with the Blackout because it uses the same bolt and magazines as the 5.56, so all my AR's play nice together. It's also something of a rock star when it comes time to screw on a suppressor. The 7.62x39 wins handily in the arena of cheap ammo, though.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Depends. For self defense and SHTF, I like the 7.62*39. Its cheap and available. If it's for competition, I could see going another route. Just from what I have seen, 300 BO is about three times the price. YMMV

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a 223 and a AAC Blackout upper on the way. Cant wait to get it and dial in a load. Like anything else it depends what you want it for. For range fodder get the 7.62 if you hunt and like to load your own and have other AR platforms the 300 is the shiz.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The question cannot be answered simply.

It depends on what you want. The 300BLK can be used readily and reliably in the AR platform with the ONLY change needed being the barrel. The 7.62x39 can't be easily used in the AR platform (there are uppers available but most have issues). If you like AK style rifles then you want the 7.62x39. If you like AR style rifles then you are better served by the 300BLK.

300BLK ammo is less available commercially and is more expensive than 7.62x39, but it is easily made from .223/5.56 brass and uses a wide range of .30 cal bullets if you reload.

If you want to suppress or go SBR or both, then the 300BLK wins hands down as that is what it was designed for.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    The question cannot be answered simply.

It depends on what you want. The 300BLK can be used readily and reliably in the AR platform with the ONLY change needed being the barrel. The 7.62x39 can't be easily used in the AR platform (there are uppers available but most have issues). If you like AK style rifles then you want the 7.62x39. If you like AR style rifles then you are better served by the 300BLK.

300BLK ammo is less available commercially and is more expensive than 7.62x39, but it is easily made from .223/5.56 brass and uses a wide range of .30 cal bullets if you reload.

If you want to suppress or go SBR or both, then the 300BLK wins hands down as that is what it was designed for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said

I'll add it is my FAVORITE gun now. It is easy to reload, uses the ergonomics of an AR, and is hard hitting and accurate in very short barrel lengths.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    When the North Koreans, Chinese, and/or Russians invade - you'll want the 7.62x39.

-J-

And only the North Koreans still issue large amounts of 7.62 AKs, the rest have gone to newer chamberings. And there is exactly around a 1% chance either of the 2 Asian nations elluded to will be able to deploy troops across the worlds largest ocean and reach our shores our life times. For us it makes more since to get stuff in chamberings our alphabet agencies use.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    And only the North Koreans still issue large amounts of 7.62 AKs, the rest have gone to newer chamberings. And there is exactly around a 1% chance either of the 2 Asian nations elluded to will be able to deploy troops across the worlds largest ocean and reach our shores our life times. For us it makes more since to get stuff in chamberings our alphabet agencies use.

Yep, the Chinese use a 5.8x42 in their QBZ-95.

Top Bottom