• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It still seems muddy, but below is a quote from a principle at Dead Air (from another forum below starts on page 2)

Originally Posted By erwos:
    Didn't the ATF rule that wipes are suppressor parts and thus mere mortals (non-SOTs) can't manufacture them? Did this change when I wasn't looking? Otherwise, I'm not quite sure how users are providing them.

No, that's not what the crown ruled. They just notified us, as a manufacturer of accessories, to not distribute said accessory any more unless it was through an SOT doing a "repair". This was after another manufacturer (if you can still call them that)
    decided to ask the ATF about the selling of wipes. Sometimes asking questions of the ATF is the only competitive advantage a company has. But anyway, the ATF then sent Dead Air a letter. It was for us. Nobody else. When asked about the Bardwell letter, well, they had never heard of it. We decided to follow the current direction because we're kind of into living in our homes and not federal buildings.

Steel wool, wire pulling gel, brass rivets, grease, or wipes. They're all user serviceable items. We're just providing you one that we found at Ace hardware. Use it. Throw it the trash. Go buy another from Ace or Menards for like 68 cents. 5/8 to 1" diameter. Go have fun. Don't stress so much.

Dead Air also has this video out:
    [video=youtube;VmJeXjsOPBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJeXjsOPBA[/video]

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It still seems muddy, but below is a quote from a principle at Dead Air (from another forum below starts on page 2)

Originally Posted By erwos:
    Didn't the ATF rule that wipes are suppressor parts and thus mere mortals (non-SOTs) can't manufacture them? Did this change when I wasn't looking? Otherwise, I'm not quite sure how users are providing them.

No, that's not what the crown ruled. They just notified us, as a manufacturer of accessories, to not distribute said accessory any more unless it was through an SOT doing a "repair". This was after another manufacturer (if you can still call them that)
    decided to ask the ATF about the selling of wipes. Sometimes asking questions of the ATF is the only competitive advantage a company has. But anyway, the ATF then sent Dead Air a letter. It was for us. Nobody else. When asked about the Bardwell letter, well, they had never heard of it. We decided to follow the current direction because we're kind of into living in our homes and not federal buildings.

Steel wool, wire pulling gel, brass rivets, grease, or wipes. They're all user serviceable items. We're just providing you one that we found at Ace hardware. Use it. Throw it the trash. Go buy another from Ace or Menards for like 68 cents. 5/8 to 1" diameter. Go have fun. Don't stress so much.

Dead Air also has this video out:
    [video=youtube;VmJeXjsOPBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJeXjsOPBA[/video]

"Steel wool, wire pulling gel, brass rivets, grease, or wipes."
    OK, so my question, if I built a suppressor and had steel wool wrapped inside, you're telling me I can replace that steel wool without worry? Because I've actually been trying to figure out why people don't use steel wool, at least for subs and 22, because I'm pretty sure it would help with suppression. I thought it wasn't used because it's not a user-serviceable item.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    "Steel wool, wire pulling gel, brass rivets, grease, or wipes."
    OK, so my question, if I built a suppressor and had steel wool wrapped inside, you're telling me I can replace that steel wool without worry? Because I've actually been trying to figure out why people don't use steel wool, at least for subs and 22, because I'm pretty sure it would help with suppression. I thought it wasn't used because it's not a user-serviceable item.

It's not used because it's mostly unnecessary, like wipes. Everything adds to the complex legal flavor of the month atf. The history of wipes were that they were used on cans with the internal geometry of a lego. Basically cans that used flat washer baffles. There were a few "survival". Pill bottle cans made for one time use that were all wipes.

I can't see what steel wool would do to be worth packing and cleaning the burnt bits back out

WrightCo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I realize this thread has aged, but I thought I'd offer another option for the OP. I have two SilencerCo Omega 300's, a Hybrid .46 and two Octanes ( 9mm & .45). I have found the Hybrid to be the most versatile (can be used on a rifle or pistol) and an excellent first can. For those of you in "the know", you'll see that I chose multiple cans from SilencerCo that are all compatible with each other and offering multiple set-up options depending on the platform you are wanting to suppress. I can now suppress anything from a heavy .30 cal down to a .22.

Good luck on your search,

WrightCo out....

Top Bottom