• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jooky52198

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Im looking for some information from you avid gun guys. Im looking to buy a 300 WIN but Im not sure what price I am looking at and I am told there are several different models that will effect the price (savage, etc). Im going to be using it for bear hunting in Canada and hopefully in a few years Africa for Kudu, Zebra, etc. Is there much difference that I should consider a 300 WIN Mag? Thanks!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I don't know how much you want to paid, but I have a McMILLAN 300 WIN MAG, with adjustable cheek rest & a PARKER HALE bi-pod, & a LEUPOLD MARK IV 4.5-14x50 scope shoots great, but it's pricey

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For hunting, I've always had fantastic luck with the post-64 Model 70 Winchesters and the full-size Ruger MM77 in this caliber. I had one of the Rugers and it shot very well, but my all time favorite were the M70s. I've owned two and shot several examples. I'm talking about the late-70s model with the black forend tip. One of mine would shoot almost guaranteed 1-1/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards day in, day out and frequently turn in sub-1" performance. The others averaged around 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" but did it with great consistency. No clue how they're pricing right now, but they were selling for very reasonable prices last year compared to other rifles on the market.

This is a Model 70 from the era I've had so much luck with. I've always got my eye out for another in .300 or .338, although I have no practical use for either:

win70_zpsfb50c934.jpg

Last edited:

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Im looking for some information from you avid gun guys. Im looking to buy a 300 WIN but Im not sure what price I am looking at and I am told there are several different models that will effect the price (savage, etc). Im going to be using it for bear hunting in Canada and hopefully in a few years Africa for Kudu, Zebra, etc. Is there much difference that I should consider a 300 WIN Mag? Thanks!

I've always been a Remington 700 or Ruger M77 fan when it comes to the big caliber rifles. Price is going to be dependent on what you want in a rifle (Grade, Synthetic or Wood stock, barrel contour etc.) Plus, you still have the expense for optics. Either of these models with decent optics would put you right at $1,000.00. Also have to consider the cost of ammo. (20 rounds in the $35.00 a box range)

Sounds like this rifle will see very limited use. If it were me, I would look for a nice used .270 or .300 Win Mag. Many hunters do the same thing you are and drop the money for a rifle and glass only used on a couple hunting trips, then it sets in the safe until they decide they want something else that may get used more often. I was in the same boat when I went Prairie Dog Shooting in South Dakota years ago. I dropped $500.00 on a Remington 700 BDL in .270 with a scope. Fired about 200 rounds thru it and traded it off.

It really comes down to how much your willing to spend then start looking from there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My vote for excellent values are 1st Remington 700 and 2nd Ruger M77. These will hold their own accuracy wise with the more expensive rifles. I would opt for one of these and put my money into good optics for that special hunt. All of my 700s are tack drivers. Great rifles!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Do you mean 308 Winchester vs 300 Win Mag?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would suggest a Remington 700. Spend the money on a great rilfe/optics package from the beginnning and it will do everything you want it to do. I hooked my Remington 700 CDL up with a Nikon Buckmaster 4x14x40 and it shoots 1 MOA out of the box. I may be a little bias because that is what i own/shoot but the 700 is such a well built/solid rifle that will treat you well for any hunting trip you take it on!

Top Bottom