• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Now is the time (yes after tax return) that I'm shopping around for a scope for my Winchester Model 70 chambered in .300 Winchester Short Magnum. I been looking around the net for decent scopes up to the $280 range, maybe $300 as I hope I can find one for that price with around **-14x magnification (adjustable), preferably waterproof; I've heard "you get what you pay for" but lots of reviews have some of the $180 scopes on par w/the more expensive ones and customer service is often excellent. A cheaper scope would be nice as that's less I'll have to save but I dont want something too cheap. My biggest worry is if it will handle the recoil from the 300 WSM round.

It's a 1000yd rifle and I'm looking to have that capability. I'll mostly be doing target shooting; I'd like the capability of hunting with it (hence waterproof preference) if I get the chance to hunt in another state or decide to move (been thinking Alaska, Washington, Colorado). I dont have much funds so trying to cover as much uses as possible, it's my only rifle. I dont really plan on dusk & dawn hunting hours.

Based on what I've been reading:
    -I'm looking for a 40-44mm objective lense, preferably 40mm as a 50mm would require another stock...
    -12-14x adjustable magnification or more

I've been looking at the Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn series, particularly [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banner-4-16x-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B004NK8SFM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/192-3883937-7832328"]this one[/ame]. It seems to fit the bill for everything I'd need but I'm worried I might be looking to cheaply; I'd like to get the 6-24x 40mm model but theres a lot of negative reviews detailing a crap made product (lenses/parts rattling in the tube, adjustment turrets coming off..).

Anyone on here knowledgeable in quality scopes that would hold up on a .300 WSM rifle? Right now I got a cheapy $60 3-9x30mm bushnell scope on it that came with it when I bought it (hey for $550 out the door w/bipod I couldn't complain). Lookin for assistance and to see if I'll have to save up more.. :(

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Your defintally asking alot out of a 300 dollar scope expecting enough travel and clarity to reach 1000, as well as tracking, warranty and customer service. While maintaining 14x varible power.

Right now there is nothing I can think of on the market that will work for your purpose, and price range. IMO you need to adust your needs, or adjust your budget.

Internet reviews are not worthless, but it takes alot of them to really base your opinion off of. I found a youtube review of a barska scope where they were talking about how great the turrets were. They were nice and smooth, not jumpy like most scopes. Problem is the guy doing the review didnt know enough about scopes to know his brand new scope was broken. Turrets are not designed to be nice and smooth. Im a horrible mechanic. I just never got into it, or cared about it. I can go to autozone.com and give a amazing review of a alternator, but knowing nothing about mechanics, would you be wise to trust my opinion?

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Your defintally asking alot out of a 300 dollar scope expecting enough travel and clarity to reach 1000, as well as tracking, warranty and customer service. While maintaining 14x varible power.

Right now there is nothing I can think of on the market that will work for your purpose, and price range. IMO you need to adust your needs, or adjust your budget.

Internet reviews are not worthless, but it takes alot of them to really base your opinion off of. I found a youtube review of a barska scope where they were talking about how great the turrets were. They were nice and smooth, not jumpy like most scopes. Problem is the guy doing the review didnt know enough about scopes to know his brand new scope was broken. Turrets are not designed to be nice and smooth. Im a horrible mechanic. I just never got into it, or cared about it. I can go to autozone.com and give a amazing review of a alternator, but knowing nothing about mechanics, would you be wise to trust my opinion?
    Thats what I was afraid of, needing to adjust my budget. From what I've posted here, how much would a scope cost that would fit what I'm lookin for? What would you suggest I could adjust my needs for to maybe save a little money? Going higher than $300 just means I'll have to save longer, not lookin forward to it, but not looking forward to getting something that wont last long either.

Edit* Yep aware of the multiple reviews req'd for a good overall status. Cabela's page has lots of scopes and evidently an active consumer review community. The one I was looking at recieved more than 100 something 5 stars, only one person I saw used it on a 300 WSM though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If you could knock your max zoom requirement down to 12x, and adjust your max range to 850-900ish this would fit your bill.
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 AO Dead-Hold BDC

Even with this scope you wont have the clearest picture at 1000 yds, but it will hold the recoil, it will track, and you will have the absolute best customer service in the industry.

I think your best bet is to adjust your budget. This is 429, tracks perfect, has a 30mm tube (more travel, more durability), resetable turrets that are more positive, and autable, plenty of glass quality, enough travel to meet your goal, PA (easier to run than AO) and the best customer service in the optics industry.

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Dead-Hold BDC

I have ran the banner series before. The glass quality will not allow for 1000 yd shots and it does not track. Tracking is one of if not the most important feature you will need.

Thats what I was afraid of, needing to adjust my budget. From what I've posted here, how much would a scope cost that would fit what I'm lookin for? What would you suggest I could adjust my needs for to maybe save a little money? Going higher than $300 just means I'll have to save longer, not lookin forward to it, but not looking forward to getting something that wont last long either.

Edit* Yep aware of the multiple reviews req'd for a good overall status. Cabela's page has lots of scopes and evidently an active consumer review community. The one I was looking at recieved more than 100 something 5 stars, only one person I saw used it on a 300 WSM though.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you could knock your max zoom requirement down to 12x, and adjust your max range to 850-900ish this would fit your bill.
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 AO Dead-Hold BDC

Even with this scope you wont have the clearest picture at 1000 yds, but it will hold the recoil, it will track, and you will have the absolute best customer service in the industry.

I think your best bet is to adjust your budget. This is 429, tracks perfect, has a 30mm tube (more travel, more durability), resetable turrets that are more positive, and autable, plenty of glass quality, enough travel to meet your goal, PA (easier to run than AO) and the best customer service in the optics industry.

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x44 PA Dead-Hold BDC

I have ran the banner series before. The glass quality will not allow for 1000 yd shots and it does not track. Tracking is one of if not the most important feature you will need.

Hah, I tabbed over to see your post just after I had got done looking at the vortex and burris fullfield 2 scopes. Good to know about the banner series, I didn't think about the tracking. I'll be keeping a good eye on vortex, maybe not the Viper series but I'll see what I end up with. Thank you much for the help!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hah, I tabbed over to see your post just after I had got done looking at the vortex and burris fullfield 2 scopes. Good to know about the banner series, I didn't think about the tracking. I'll be keeping a good eye on vortex, maybe not the Viper series but I'll see what I end up with. Thank you much for the help!

No problem, I have most everything in stock so feel free to contact me if you run into questions, or need somone to bounce ideas off of.

Top Bottom