• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Hancock Co.- New Palestine
    I just put together a remington 700 .308. And was wondering what a good round would be. I'm new to the high power game and would like alittle input. Also my be interested in some custom loads if anyone does that. Thanks

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm a big fan of Hornady A-max/V-max. I'm right around the corner from you, come on over and we can do some load development for you! I'm not the most experienced, but I know enough to get us hurt ;)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I just put together a remington 700 .308. And was wondering what a good round would be. I'm new to the high power game and would like alittle input. Also my be interested in some custom loads if anyone does that. Thanks

Try 168 grain ammo, it'll be the most accurate:yesway:

ejscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Hey that sounds exciting! i haven't fired any rounds yet and just have some remington ammo that is nothing special. I'm thinking i sould get something better before i get it out. thanks redneckmedic.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Hey that sounds exciting! i haven't fired any rounds yet and just have some remington ammo that is nothing special. I'm thinking i sould get something better before i get it out. thanks redneckmedic.

My brother and I just shot Amax factory to break in our newly built 308 ARs. It loved them 3/4MOA. Which is funny, cuz that is what I am handloading too! That's a serious open invite!

ejscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    My brother and I just shot Amax factory to break in our newly built 308 ARs. It loved them 3/4MOA. Which is funny, cuz that is what I am handloading too! That's a serious open invite!

Thanks I will see what I can work out. I have alot to get done in the next few weekends, just bought a camp site out at Brookville. But I will shoot you a pm. Thanks agian.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Try to find some Prvi Partizan 168 HPBT Match ammo locally or online. For a lower priced ammo it is surprisingly accurate and the brass is great for reloading. I don't care what brand of factory ammo you use, you will find that your own reloads will probably be the most accurate and consistent of anything you shoot.

Ive found that the 168 gr A-Max bullets and Varget powder work best for me. I'm reloading Prvi Partizan brass with CCI primers and 46.0 grains of Varget. You will need to work up your own loads for your rifle. My load is on the upper end of the scale and you need to start lower and work your way up.

Here's a 5 shot group at 100 yards

700group.jpg

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I have a 700 sps and i've shot all kinds of ammo out of mine. I think for the money just 150gr Remington ammo is very good. Not expensive and it runs pretty hot for a 150gr shot. Plus its soft tip which is good hunting ammo...so practice with what you hunt. DO NOT buy Pavi ammo. Even the match grade stuff. The casing is too thick so its tight when you go to close the bolt down. 168gr Federal is great too.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I like Sierra 168gr HPBT match bullets, and I have been having good luck using IMR 4064 powder. I use 42gr's in military brass and 42.5 in Federal cases.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    168gr, sierra matchking BTHP are very accurate but past 600 yards you should be looking at 175 gr. sierra matchking BTHP, they are more stable at the longer ranges.:twocents:

Top Bottom