• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    There are obviously pros to each platform, and depending on what you want to do with the gun, one may be better than the other. The AR is going to be semi-auto, take more rounds, but possibly less accurate. If you are down on the ground, you have to use a smaller magazine, or a higher tripod. With the Rifle, you have more accuracy, but less ammo capacity.

What are the thoughts on both models, and more hunting/longer target shooting, which model would be best?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I prefer a bolt gun for precision work. Gas rifles have come a long way in recent years and can be as accurate as a bolt gun but obtaining that accuracy requires more precise input from the shooter in my experience. Some take to the gas guns like a duck to water and some struggle to find the right balance of forces applied to the gun to get the desired consistency. My boss has a GAP10 in .308 and it's an impressive rifle but I have an easier time with my bolt gun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I prefer a bolt gun for precision work. Gas rifles have come a long way in recent years and can be as accurate as a bolt gun but obtaining that accuracy requires more precise input from the shooter in my experience. Some take to the gas guns like a duck to water and some struggle to find the right balance of forces applied to the gun to get the desired consistency. My boss has a GAP10 in .308 and it's an impressive rifle but I have an easier time with my bolt gun.

Exactly how I feel.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, as said above.
    You can get an AR platform to group comparably to how a bolt gun will, but it will probably cost you quite a lot more time and money getting there, and even then, you'll never outdo the best bolt guns, no matter how hard you try.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I also agree with the above thoughts. I prefer a bolt action for any type of precision shooting, but do have an LR308 with a few upgrades and it shoots well but not as well as the bolt gun. As mentioned that's not to say that you cant get the gas guns to group well, it just takes far more coin to make it happen as a general rule.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a .308 bolt gun. It shoots very well for what it is. I am wanting the ability to have the firepower of a semi-auto with 20 round mags and picked up a .308 AR lower on the sale part of this forum. I will be building it over the winter. I am going to strive to make it as accurate as I can by selecting good parts like a Rainier Arms Ultra-Match barrel. This build will be more expensive than my bolt gun, as my bolt gun is NOT a $4,000 sniper rifle. It's hard to choose one over the other because IMHO an AR and a bolt gun do different things. You kinda need one of each... That said, I am going to try to make the AR as accurate as I can, because I can't make my bolt gun a semi-auto. If I had to only have one, that would be a tough choice.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It's relatively easy to buy a sub MOA bolt rifle for half the price of an entry level AR 10. Maybe even 1/4 the price.

If you PM me to invite me to meet you tomorrow morning cause you are treating me to an all expense paid hunt for:
    montana elk
    nebraska pronghorn
    arkansas whitetail
    or anything from a tree stand

I'll meet you anywhere at 12:01 with my .308 bolt and we will have some fun! Seriously. PM me with an all expenses paid hunt. I'll be there! :rockwoot:

But if you want to ground stalk bear (brown or black), big swamp hogs, rabid wolf packs or zombie sumo wrestlers; I'm going to need a few days to purchase and sight in an AR10.

Magazines and bipods come in all shapes and sizes. And plenty of .308 bolt guns have removable magazines.

I'd focus my thoughts on rate of fire and required accuracy. 20 rnds of .308 in a semi auto might make up for some inherent inaccuracy of the platform. Depending upon the application.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You don't really put an emphasis on what you will use it for.

Carrying any .308 semi auto is heavy for hunting. I tried a few and it's a lot of weight for a likely one shot kill that a bolt will do just fine on. A good compromise is the 16" Saiga but I sold mine for 3x what I paid for it and replaced it with a .300blk SBR. I am doing a .308 AR next year just for firepower, like wolves, bear or hippies but I will add a bolt for hunting. Especially if I get over to hunt with some old friends in the Dakotas like I plan on doing.

I have a good friend who is not a big man but he carried an M14 in Vietnam and a lot of mags. If you are motivated you can do it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a .308 bolt gun. It shoots very well for what it is. I am wanting the ability to have the firepower of a semi-auto with 20 round mags and picked up a .308 AR lower on the sale part of this forum. I will be building it over the winter. I am going to strive to make it as accurate as I can by selecting good parts like a Rainier Arms Ultra-Match barrel. This build will be more expensive than my bolt gun, as my bolt gun is NOT a $4,000 sniper rifle. It's hard to choose one over the other because IMHO an AR and a bolt gun do different things. You kinda need one of each... That said, I am going to try to make the AR as accurate as I can, because I can't make my bolt gun a semi-auto. If I had to only have one, that would be a tough choice.

If you've got a good bolt gun there's certainly nothing wrong with putting together a gas gun. I pieced this one together years ago, it started out as a factory DPMS and when I was finished with it the only original parts left were the barrel and BCG. It was Sub MOA and I went 5 for 5 on a 12" plate at 1200 yards with it during a trip to TN (the elevation helped). It was a great shooter but I didn't enjoy shooting it like I did my bolt gun due to the extra effort required. I had to climb all over it and lay on it like I was trying to suffocate the thing but when I did it right it was impressive.

IMG_5980_2.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thats why for me, staying inside the sweet spot of where the caliber is better then me works well for hunting. After 300-400 yards it's not just about shot placement, you have to know how to drive the gun so to speak.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There are obviously pros to each platform, and depending on what you want to do with the gun, one may be better than the other. The AR is going to be semi-auto, take more rounds, but possibly less accurate. If you are down on the ground, you have to use a smaller magazine, or a higher tripod. With the Rifle, you have more accuracy, but less ammo capacity.

What are the thoughts on both models, and more hunting/longer target shooting, which model would be best?

Only you can truly decide what is "best". For me, a boltgun for hunting and either for target shooting.

I happen to own two DPMS LR-308 rifles. One 16 inch, one 24 inch. Totally stock. Both are the equal of my $3000 308 boltgun 1000 yard gun and are far better than the several factory boltgun in various calibers that I own. Just speaking of accuracy or inherent accuracy. Weight, balance, handling are totally different than any boltgun.

I don't have any use for a bipod on any rifle. It is too easy for one to change POI depending on several factors.

I choose the rifle based on the mission for the day. ALL modern rifles are great. We are truly spoiled with the current fleet of rifles out there. I remember in the 60's all the debates about whether the Remington 700 or the Winchester 70 as the best rifle to accurize. Getting 1 MOA cost some money back then.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If you've got a good bolt gun there's certainly nothing wrong with putting together a gas gun. I pieced this one together years ago, it started out as a factory DPMS and when I was finished with it the only original parts left were the barrel and BCG. It was Sub MOA and I went 5 for 5 on a 12" plate at 1200 yards with it during a trip to TN (the elevation helped). It was a great shooter but I didn't enjoy shooting it like I did my bolt gun due to the extra effort required. I had to climb all over it and lay on it like I was trying to suffocate the thing but when I did it right it was impressive.

IMG_5980_2.jpg

Nice looking piece. Love the paint job.

Top Bottom