• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have been pondering and fondling a 7.62 X51 AR for awhile.

My top pick now is the POF revolution 18.5 inch. The second option is the 20 inch Ruger SFAR.

Kept going back and forth at NRAAM, and handling other .308 rifles, and those two stood out for me from the others in weight and handling.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have a M1A Socom, a M1A standard and a FAL carbine. I like every one of them. They each have their own positives and their negatives. Most of the negatives I overlooked just because I can. I've had an AR-10 in the past I don't have it anymore. To me they just really don't do anything for me. I love the look of the M1A/M14 platform. It has a classic look. It served in Vietnam, became the xm21 sniper system, was brought basically out of retirement at the start of the war on terror in the early 2000s. So we know it works.

Then we have FAL. Well it's the right arm of the Free World. It went on a lot of communist hunting safaris in Africa. Dare we say the movie The Wild Geese or that quaint little British Expedition in the Falklands? Let's not forget "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland. It served Britain, her Commonwealth partners and Rhodesia well. It's fought against communists with AKs and even against itself in Africa and the Falklands.

I know going into it that all 3 are not going to be a sub MOA 308 but I'm going to be able to hit what I aim at.

If I had to grab any one of those three rifles and use them, I wouldn't feel under gunned or inferior.

In fact the FAL carbine is my trunk gun.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are a few other options then the M14, FAL, or AR10

The G3 clones. PTR-91. Not a bad option. Roller Locker system eats cheap steel ammo and asks for more. Mags used to be STUPID cheap. But are still on the cheap side.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There are a few other options then the M14, FAL, or AR10

The G3 clones. PTR-91. Not a bad option. Roller Locker system eats cheap steel ammo and asks for more. Mags used to be STUPID cheap. But are still on the cheap side.
    My PTR is unreasonably heavy and kicks like a mule, but following a factory fix it runs all day and lays down excellent groups.

If you get one with a welded rail, the G3 has a major accuracy advantage over a FAL with an optic. There is no substitute for a hard mechanical bond between optic, receiver, and barrel. The more screws, brackets, and cludgy mounts you have between your optic and your barrel, the worse your groups and zero get.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My PTR is unreasonably heavy and kicks like a mule, but following a factory fix it runs all day and lays down excellent groups.

If you get one with a welded rail, the G3 has a major accuracy advantage over a FAL with an optic. There is no substitute for a hard mechanical bond between optic, receiver, and barrel. The more screws, brackets, and cludgy mounts you have between your optic and your barrel, the worse your groups and zero get.
    I think they all come with a welded top rail. (Unless you specifically order the army issue one) And they now have fore arms available with M-lok.

And yes they also beat up brass and throw it a million miles an hour. But like I said, they love steel!

They now have a K (Kurtz) model with a 16 inch barrel that should take care of some of the weight.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think they all come with a welded top rail. (Unless you specifically order the army issue one) And they now have fore arms available with M-lok.

And yes they also beat up brass and throw it a million miles an hour. But like I said, they love steel!

They now have a K (Kurtz) model with a 16 inch barrel that should take care of some of the weight.
    I have the 16 inch. It's still beefy.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    I have the dd5 , never tried any of the other options you mentioned so can't speak to them
    But I really like the DD , mine is the v7 with 18" 308 hbar barrel , the ambi controls are really good and it's a good shooting rifle especially with the 2 position gas block

I'd like to build a lighter upper for it though, bit heavy with the hbar

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I had a Springfield Saint Victor AR pistol that never had a malfunction and was fairly light (only a 10” barrel). Of course, with the pistol brace nonsense, you can’t run it with the SBA4 brace I had on it.

The AR-10s I have now both run well (LMT and Bushmaster), but neither are “lightweight”. The LMT is significantly lighter than the Bushmaster, but way heavier on the wallet!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Might I ask where you found one? New, used? They seem to be vaporware even a few months ago. Or did you put your name on a wait list?

Put a want to buy out on the knights Facebook group. A few people contacted me from that. I ended buying a new one from a dealer out of Texas that got it second hand. So the price was not the best, but ok considering fees shipping and such that were included.

Mark

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    No mention of a Tavor 7? I've been thinking about one of these for myself. Knights is too rich for my blood.
    It was mentioned favorably by a couple of us but didn't seem to be the OP's cup of tea.

The Tavor 7 is my favorite semi auto .308 that I own or have handled. My only complaint is the weight but it feels lighter than it is.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    It was mentioned favorably by a couple of us but didn't seem to be the OP's cup of tea.

The Tavor 7 is my favorite semi auto .308 that I own or have handled. My only complaint is the weight but it feels lighter than it is.
    What's the recoil like with that? To be honest I had no idea they made one in 7.62x51. That has me intrigued

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Ruger SFAR changed the game for cheap lightweight 308 ARs.

Anyone saying battle rifles are outdated is crazy IMO.

The 5 round capacity difference isn't worth the trade off you get in benefits the 308 provides.

The 6.5cm is too expensive and hard to find compared to 308 should things ever go belly up.

308 gets a lot of hate for some reason these days but it sure puts down a lot of hate too on whatever it hits down range. Lots more hate than 5.56 puts down. At much further distances.

I'm a big fan of 308.

Edit: should anyone in here be upset by their 16" SFAR and want to sell it pm me :)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ruger SFAR changed the game for cheap lightweight 308 ARs.

Anyone saying battle rifles are outdated is crazy IMO.

The 5 round capacity difference isn't worth the trade off you get in benefits the 308 provides.

The 6.5cm is too expensive and hard to find compared to 308 should things ever go belly up.

308 gets a lot of hate for some reason these days but it sure puts down a lot of hate too on whatever it hits down range. Lots more hate than 5.56 puts down. At much further distances.

I'm a big fan of 308.

Edit: should anyone in here be upset by their 16" SFAR and want to sell it pm me :)
    Anyone who has ever slugged a steel plate at any kind of distance with a .308 versus a 5.56 ought to know there's a "there" there with the big boy calibers.

You can do a whole lot with a good 5.56 gun, but when it's time to punch through intermediate barriers or reach out and nail something, there is no replacement for displacement. There's a reason machine guns still shoot full rifle calibers and not 5.56. Not all that is relevant to civilians or police, but out in the downrange world you use bullets to wreck a lot more than just flesh.

I might not be sold on something like the Spear as general issue, but until someone makes 5.56 exploding smartrounds, full power calibers aren't obsolete.

Top Bottom