• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, everyone. While I am a beginner, I understand that there are tons of options. I left this question as open as I thought I could while still having some direction. I didnt exactly want to ask about "a four door with an engine" (nicely put, btw), but I certainly wanted to leave some wiggle room.

My purpose for the rifle would be some hunting, and some recreational target shooting. I picked .308 because of its versatility - from the reading I've done so far, it seems to be a fine place to start. I dont really know what kind of range I need - in general, I dont know what I dont know, ya know?

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    One of my intentions, with this thread, was to stir up some of the variables involved with shooting rifles. What kinds of considerations are involved when comparing rifles. I'll read through the responses and make notes for further reading and study.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    OP, it *really* depends on 1. your budget and 2. what distances you will typically be shooting. Also, do you plan to reload for this rifle or will you only be running factory ammunition?

For a multipurpose hunting/range rifle I think 18-22" are ideal barrel lengths, and therefore believe in a factory 308 a 20" barrel would suit you well.

For rifles <$1000 I would give consideration to the Tikka CTR, Howa 1500, Savage 10FCP-SR, Savage 11 Hog Hunter, Remington 700 Tactical, Remington 700 AAC-SD, Ruger American Predator, and Mossberg MVP Thunder Ranch or LR 18.5". I would not remotely consider the Remington 770, and personally wouldn't look at the Remington 783 or Savage Axis.

I would also seriously consider a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, but unless you will regularly be shooting beyond 500yd you won't see much ballistic benefit from it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would also seriously consider a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, but unless you will regularly be shooting beyond 500yd you won't see much ballistic benefit from it.

.260 caliber rocks, 6.5 grenell, 6.5 X 55 Swede, .260 remington, 6,5 X 06, 6.5 X 284 have all been sweet to me. It looks like 6.5 Creedmore is winner also.

Because off the shelf hunting ammo is pretty good, consistant, easy to find and reasonably priced I still hunted with 30/30, .308 and 30-06. Plus I already owned the rifles.

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Because off the shelf hunting ammo is pretty good, consistant, easy to find and reasonably priced I still hunted with 30/30, .308 and 30-06.

This is one of the biggest reasons I am deciding to start shooting rifles with .308 - the commonness of it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What kinds of considerations are involved when comparing rifles.

The best jumping off point is to consider any firearm like a hand tool or a golf club. What is the intended use?

My purpose for the rifle would be some hunting, and some recreational target shooting.

All firearms are nothing more than triggers and sights, but ok, let's go hunting, the weapon will be carried more than shot so weight matters.

Recreational shooting: weight might not be a factor as the weapon will only be transported from the trunk to the firing line.

It seems to me you want a general utility/Scout rifle. Guys always look at caliber wrong. It may matter a great deal in pistols, but with a centerfire rifle, less so. .308, 6.5, .30-'06, whatever, who cares.

Weight, utilitarianism, and handiness all seem to be factors. I want the rifle smooth, like a bar of soap, no sharp edges.

I want a short LOP for ease of manipulation. See the guys at the gun store with their tongues hanging out and cycling the rifle at their waist? Yeah, they don't have 15" forearms and either do you. Cut down that LOP.

I want big iron sights that are one with the weapon. Lots of great optic choices now too.

I want stout sling. I like the British 3 point system (Canadian 2 point) but that's how I was raised.

Slick the action, crown the barrel, trigger job and you are set. Lots of good choices now. Maybe start with the Ruger and CZ line first?

Good news: we can spend whatever we want.
    Bad news: we can spend whatever we want.:D

Training will dictate what you buy. Go to school first and let your software choose your hardware.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    What is LOP?

Length Of Pull

LOP.jpg

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Interesting, good point. How does changing LOP affect other aspects of the rifle? Or of the shot?

Is it a trade off? For shorter/longer LOP, does one gain or lose something else?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Interesting, good point. How does changing LOP affect other aspects of the rifle? Or of the shot?

Is it a trade off? For shorter/longer LOP, does one gain or lose something else?

Basically length of pull matters if you're at one end of the size chart or the other. If you're a 6'-5" dude or a younger 5'-5" person your arm length will be different. Most rifles are made for folks in the middle/average size, but you'll find some rifles are more comfortable than others and "fit" you much better based solely on the length of pull.

Another consideration, are you a tinkerer? Are you going to buy this rifle and leave it alone, or are you going to start playing legos and looking at all the different parts you can upgrade just to play with your rifle once it's in your hands. No judgement either way there, because we all do it.

Do you want to have a detachable magazine that you can remove, or do you really care?

Do you want the timeless class look and feel of a wood stock, or the strength and durability of a synthetic stock?

The best news for you is that you're looking at a rifle in a golden era of rifle options. Personally, I'd point you towards wither Remington or Savage. Remington is the big boy in the industry and there's no end to spare parts, accessories, and anything made for a rifle is made for Remington. Full disclosure, I'm a Savage fanboy and I just love how accurate their rifles are. Having said that, I only buy the thick heavy barreled rifle because they are more accurate. In a hunting barrel weight it's a coin toss between the two.

Another cool option, would be find an old classic Winchester or some other brand on gunbroker and refinish the stock, and reblue the barrel and action. You'd have a rifle with some history to it and some stories from the start.

Regardless of what you choose, good for you. I'll be happy for you, and a .308 is a great caliber that can take any animal on earth or shoot any target from any distance. Don't ever second guess that caliber choice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is LOP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgIPbzKHWI

How does changing LOP affect other aspects of the rifle? Or of the shot?

American rifles are sold with silly LOPs for marketing. Guys know that they are "kinda a big man". No, they are not, they just can't put down the spoon, they are not big at all. It does not help that they all point the rifles up like they are shooting at geese in the big box store.

You want a short LOP so you can run the weapon while properly leaving at the shoulder and not putting it down at your waist like the guys at Gander Mountain that you see with their tongues hanging out.:D

Also American guns have silly LOPs because guys do not hold the weapon properly they all wrap their thumbs over the stocks and whack their nose and complain that "I'm kinda of a big man, I need a bigger stock". Again, no, they just need to hold the weapon properly and leave the thumb over where it belongs.

We also have stupid long LOPs on rifles because of the obsession with mounting optics right up to the eye. Guy crack themselves and get a hunter's ribbon and then say . . . wait for it . . . "I'm kinda of a big man, I need a bigger stock." No, you are not that big, you are just a #1 Carb Fan. Mount the optic properly and stop trying to crawl into it and that won't happen.

Trade off? I guess. The market calls for stupid long, so, we get stupid long. But, that's why we have gunsmiths.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And remember to shop around.
    Finding a nice rifle with no miles on it for the price of a latter day piece of plastic still happens.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Know of anything good on big game hunting in North America? Worldwide? Non fiction, skills and such...

.308 will knock down anythin' on 'is Continent........4 OR 2 leg'ed.......

700 Rem Police .....prolly gonna be 1 the most acc'rate 'rite- over- the- counter,out- the- box' guns.......it'a be more acc'rate than most is capable of....
    this'n can prolly git it done for ya....
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns-rifles-shotguns/392051-remington-700-308-a.html

M77 Ruger's a damn good choice, too......

Last edited:

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you're looking on the budget side, I'd recommend the savage axis. I have one in .223 and it is pleasantly surprising. I would imagine that a .308 would be fine, obviously more recoil, but its a fairly sound rifle.

Top Bottom