• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you're looking on the budget side, I'd recommend the savage axis. I have one in .223 and it is pleasantly surprising. I would imagine that a .308 would be fine, obviously more recoil, but its a fairly sound rifle.

I own the Edge (same thing before they changed the name) in .308 and I'd have to agree/disagree with you.

The Axis/Edge rifles are actually great... for the price. That "for the price" part is what makes it what it is. It shoots straight, but it lacks a lot of things that a "good rifle" should have. The stock is complete garbage, the trigger is heavier than a buick, the action isn't smooth, and since it has such a thin profile barrel it gets too hot too quick which reduces accuracy a great deal. So, the qualities of that rifle is that it shoots straight and it's cheap.

If I were to do it again, I'd have saved up enough money to buy a Remington 700 or a Savage 10. Something that comes with a good trigger and a halfway decent stock to begin with while allowing myself the opportunity for future upgrades to turn it into something amazing. Although now, you have the Ruger Precision Rifle...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hard to beat an out of the box Savage. Great accuracy and very reasonable on price with plenty of aftermarket goodies like stocks and such. They are well worth the look!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thompson Center Venture

Half the price of many that have been recommended.

1 MOA guarantee out of the box.

Mine is 1/2 MOA. With ME behind the trigger. That is STUPID accurate for an off-the-shelf rifle.

If you want pretty, hunt around for a T/C Icon. Same rifle, but not as ugly. And twice the price.
    And not judging for wanting "pretty". I'm on a multi year search for one in the right calibre and right price.

Hellhound1055

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I own the Edge (same thing before they changed the name) in .308 and I'd have to agree/disagree with you.

The Axis/Edge rifles are actually great... for the price. That "for the price" part is what makes it what it is. It shoots straight, but it lacks a lot of things that a "good rifle" should have. The stock is complete garbage, the trigger is heavier than a buick, the action isn't smooth

I agree the stock is horrible, its my biggest issue about it. However, the action on mine is pretty good (besides the starting turn, axis apparently has improper angling at the lift) and the trigger was good. Though I bought mine used so it may have had some of its kinks worked out.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Hard to beat an out of the box Savage. Great accuracy and very reasonable on price with plenty of aftermarket goodies like stocks and such. They are well worth the look!

So true, get the 10 series rifle as a very good base. You can't go wrong with it.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I admit I am a Savage fan. I've shot both Rem 700s and several Savage heavy barrel models. I know a lot of people here rag on Dicks pretty bad but they sell a Savage model 11VT for under $500 with a throw away scope. It has a 24" heavy barrel and their Accutrigger which I am a big fan of. The stock is a cheap synthetic piece but it hasn't held me back that I can tell. It is available in several calibers. I have one in each .223 and .308. Both shoot right at 1 MOA for me and I'm sure the rifle is easily capable of better accuracy with the right guy on the trigger.
    This is the first day out with my .223 at 100yds with generic 55gr ammo. The white bullseye is just under 1" diameter.

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 4

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    With the price of the Hog Hunter series of rifles its hard not to look at Savage for an entry level bolt action. As for the Savage Axis I agree with CKcollins with the exception that Savage now has a factory heavy barrel option in the Axis line. The stock still sucks and the trigger is still rough but for less than $400 new with a heavy barrel a stock and trigger upgrade wouldn't be that much. Might be worth taking a look at. Im planning on doing a build on one of them just to see how well one can shoot for my YouTube channel.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    With the price of the Hog Hunter series of rifles its hard not to look at Savage for an entry level bolt action. As for the Savage Axis I agree with CKcollins with the exception that Savage now has a factory heavy barrel option in the Axis line. The stock still sucks and the trigger is still rough but for less than $400 new with a heavy barrel a stock and trigger upgrade wouldn't be that much. Might be worth taking a look at. Im planning on doing a build on one of them just to see how well one can shoot for my YouTube channel.

I just checked their website on the heavy barrel model, I didn't know they had come out with one. That will help, but what gets me is that they didn't put the accu-trigger on it as well. You figure after taxes/transfer fee you're looking at $400 or a little more for the rifle, boyd's stock, which is just mediocre is another $150, trigger is another $100 or close to it for Rifle Basix, a little more for a Timney. So in the end, $650... not bad, but it's also not a competing rifle compared to others in that price range. As much as I like Savage over Remington, for that price I'd go with a Remmy 700 SPS tac and get the threaded barrel and have tons of options to upgrade down the road. Or stick with Savage and get a Savage 10 or 11.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well the one thing to take into account that when you start adding on the accurtrigger your not far off from a basic heavy barrel model 10 price wise. So I suspect that's why they did it. With that being said the price point being what it is would let someone buy the Axis now and shoot then upgrade later to a Timney. The group of buyers that its really made for I think they hit a home run with it (just my opinion I know ;)) its the only other entry level rifle out there with a heavy target barrel brand new for less than $350 bucks. Just contacted my LGS earlier and the price on the one I ordered was $320. So when you really get into it, its not that bad a price for the features you get right off the bat. If your someone wanting to build as you go on a real budget this may be a real option to look at. I do plan to go a little on the crazy side with this build but its mostly for the opportunity to do a video review of it for the channel, but believe me I know exactly what your saying. Someone would just have to weight their options and make that choice.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    This past Sunday Dicks had the Savage 11VT in their flyer in the paper. After rebate it is $449 with Accutrigger, cheap Bushnell scope and 24" heavy barrel. If you apply for a Dicks CC you can get an additional 10% off. I did this a couple months ago when I bought my 11VT in .223. I bought it on the CC and as soon as the bill came in I paid it off and cancelled the card. It saved me $45 to do this.

Matt

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    This past Sunday Dicks had the Savage 11VT in their flyer in the paper. After rebate it is $449 with Accutrigger, cheap Bushnell scope and 24" heavy barrel. If you apply for a Dicks CC you can get an additional 10% off. I did this a couple months ago when I bought my 11VT in .223. I bought it on the CC and as soon as the bill came in I paid it off and cancelled the card. It saved me $45 to do this.

Matt

Awesome deal!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well the one thing to take into account that when you start adding on the accurtrigger your not far off from a basic heavy barrel model 10 price wise. So I suspect that's why they did it. With that being said the price point being what it is would let someone buy the Axis now and shoot then upgrade later to a Timney. The group of buyers that its really made for I think they hit a home run with it (just my opinion I know ;)) its the only other entry level rifle out there with a heavy target barrel brand new for less than $350 bucks. Just contacted my LGS earlier and the price on the one I ordered was $320. So when you really get into it, its not that bad a price for the features you get right off the bat. If your someone wanting to build as you go on a real budget this may be a real option to look at. I do plan to go a little on the crazy side with this build but its mostly for the opportunity to do a video review of it for the channel, but believe me I know exactly what your saying. Someone would just have to weight their options and make that choice.

$320 is a hell of a deal for what you get. You make a good point, it would be a decent rifle right off the bat to be able to just take out and shoot if you are on a strict budget. Lord knows I am :):. I'm anxious to see the build and review once you're done, so make sure you post it. :yesway:

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Good article in American Rifleman about March?? 2015, Told about a SiG bolt, super accurate ssg 3000 rifle. Available in 308. If you are going to hunt SIG has something called a 303 Carbine. Buy something nice, and then you never need to upgrade it, and you get used to shooting it until you are just awesome with it. Then have it the rest of your life AND pass it along. American Rifleman has had a bunch of articles about High Powered rifles this year. Dang..... Nosler.26 and .28 rifles get me excited. Wish i lived in rifle country!

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think Remington and Kimber both make an excellent .308. You should think about if you want it to be a heavy or regular barrel. I would suggest heavy, for added accuracy and feel. If name is important to you you should, the two mentioned are really good. If you don't care too much about name, Savage makes a really good .308 that is not very expensive. I would check out those three guns, one for each price category.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    $320 is a hell of a deal for what you get. You make a good point, it would be a decent rifle right off the bat to be able to just take out and shoot if you are on a strict budget. Lord knows I am :):. I'm anxious to see the build and review once you're done, so make sure you post it. :yesway:

Yea when I first priced it I didn't think it would be that low either, so its worth the look that's for sure. I sure will it will probably be after the first of the year for the finished project, but should have an intro vid up before Christmas.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I almost bought the Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 but I just couldn't take the risk of buying it on impulse and hating it since I never had a bolt action. To play it safe, I bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308 and love it. It took me a few minutes to get used to the bolt action but when I shot the first round and hit paper close to the bull, I had a big smile on my face. A few more practices on this thing and I just might go for that RPR. :D

Top Bottom