• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I got around 700 rounds of .308 brass to reload and I ran into a little problem.. Only about 1/4 of them have a single flash hole.. The others have double flash holes :noway: Does anyone know of anyway to remove em that is relatively painless?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Berdan Primed..

The two hole cases are Berdan primed. and NO there is no EASY way to load these cases. YES it can be done, but with A LOT more effort.

All of my Berdan primed brass goes in my scrap bucket..Bill.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If, in theory, your time is worth $0, you can do it. Berdan primed brass has an anvil integral to the case which must be removed in the conversion to Boxer. By the time you build a jig to do your specific cases, acquire the relevant tools, you'll be in the hole.

I've seen it done with mil surp 6.5 Swede by Africans who were absent materials and surplused with time but I've never heard of anyone in the first world bothering.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It is also very much worth noting that the total size of the primer "vent", created by drilling out the center for use with a Boxer primer, will change the internal ballistics enough that conventional load data is not reliable. Going to all of the trouble and expense to find/reload Berdan primers just isn't worth it. As much as it sucks, the only sensible thing to do is scrap 'em and find some boxer-primed cases.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom