• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I love my 110FP.. Heavy barrel and it seems more like a push than a kick. To me it is similar to a 50 with a compensator.. But then that is just me..

Savage110FP308.jpg

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    A good recoil pad would probably help a lot. I know bolt guns recoil more then semis as well. Course, might just have to try it again and see if maybe it was the bench/stance/pocket that you had going. I know I have rushed a shot or two, and hadn't pocketed the rifle properly, and it was enough that I learned from it for awhile to make sure not to do that again. (At least until I forgot again, haha)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bench rest shooting seems to have about the most felt recoil of the shooting positions. For a big boomer, like .458 WIN, .375 H&H. 416 Rigby or .470 Nitro, I only will shoot those offhand. I actually owned the first two and have shot the other ones. Those do have brutal recoil, I do not care what pad is on back. Lean slightly forward, pull the rifle up hard, position your feet to be in control and let the rifle rock you back.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I've got a Savage 99 in .300 Savage and that rifle kicks like a mule. The last time I shot it I felt it pretty good the next day. Great rifle, but you pay the price to shoot it!

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    6lbs is awfully light for a 308.

On the other hand it isn't something you would probably shoot a lot at one time anyway since lightweight barrels are really good at that.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    6lbs is awfully light for a 308.

On the other hand it isn't something you would probably shoot a lot at one time anyway since lightweight barrels are really good at that.
    24" Bull Barrel 308 is felt fine, but the Browning A-bolt with a light barrel (about 7lbs overall), or the Mauser 308....I did not enjoy myself as much as I had hoped.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A bolt will always have a higher felt recoil than a semi of equivalent weight, and the semi will most likely be heavier to start. With a semi, a lot of the energy goes into the recoil spring and cycling the action. It can be balanced so most of it goes into the action, leaving just enough into you to ensure reliable reloading. With a bolt, you get it all in the shoulder. All of it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've shot a lot of 308s, including a short barreled Handi that was very light. None of them bothered me in the least. The Savage 99 was, well, savage.

Top Bottom