.308 rifle....M1A, AR-10 or bolt action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Have you looked at a Sig 716. I am thinking of selling my M1a socom to buy a 716 or an LWRC Repr.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    I would choose the m1a. I've heard and noticed people having problems with ar 10s. If price isn't an option you might look into an FAL but like I said you're getting pricey.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Bought an M1A several years ago, found out the accuracy was not up to par so had a Master Armorer from the Small Arms shop at Crane do a make over from one end to the other. Now with the old M1 bullet [all separated by ogive into lots] it's a MOA shooter.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Bought an M1A several years ago, found out the accuracy was not up to par so had a Master Armorer from the Small Arms shop at Crane do a make over from one end to the other. Now with the old M1 bullet [all separated by ogive into lots] it's a MOA shooter.

Ah yes, I have some fond memories spending my two weeks there.
    I'm sure Gary Mesoresh is retired from there by now, though.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Had an AR-10, traded for a Rem 700 SPS Tactical SD ACC, love it. The AR platform just isn't for me I guess. My 223 is also a bolt gun. It all depends on what floats your boat.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you want a good set-up, get the LMT version of an AR10. (Lewis Machine & Tool) This has a free floating barrel that is bolted in and you can swap barrels for different calibers if you wish. It beat the FN Scar and a HK rifle in accuracy testing for the Royal Marines (UK) and also the New Zealand army is buying it now. You can fit surefire flash-hiders and suppressors and this set up was used in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Finally , it is common for many spares with the SR25 and takes Magpul magazines, so not expensive to buy a few spares. It is a great rifle and you can tell it is a quality manufacture. It works better than I can shoot!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    As much as I like FAL's, if the goal is accuracy or being suppressed, The fal is probably out, other than for just plain being awesome. They arent that accurate, and they have suppression issues (supposedly). I'm gonna try and make it work anyway though... :)
    I have a hard time standing up after I look at an M1A, they are just awesome. If financially that is in your range, you might try that. While it was may have never been meant to hold a suppressor, how much work would it be to yank out a barrel and have it re-threaded? I have no idea, just asking.
    While not exactly my thing, an AR10 might best serve you. They have a huge following, and would probably do anything you want it to.

A Savage 10 FCP-SR is a good bolt gun option, along with a 700 of course, however at the ranges you stated you might be better served by a semi auto.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have an AR10 Armalite, Lots of AR15s, M1A1, and bolt guns in the .308.
    Seeing what you already own I might suggest the bolt gun.
    I carried the M14 for over a year and a half and I loved it. The M1A1 is a good pretender but falls well short of the original. I like mine but other than the "nostalgic-cool" factor it's just another semi-auto.
    It's not made to "tacticool customize" with over the counter goodies but you can play a bit with them. Decent shooting rifles, heavy, ammo isn't cheap unless you roll your own, and just in case of the SHTF-EOTWAWKI evolution, it's going to be a beast to hump along with your other necessities.
    Bolt gun for good accuracy, cost effective, and honing your shooting skills. Master the longer bolt shots and the rest are easier.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I have an AR10 Armalite, Lots of AR15s, M1A1, and bolt guns in the .308.
    Seeing what you already own I might suggest the bolt gun.
    I carried the M14 for over a year and a half and I loved it. The M1A1 is a good pretender but falls well short of the original. I like mine but other than the "nostalgic-cool" factor it's just another semi-auto.
    It's not made to "tacticool customize" with over the counter goodies but you can play a bit with them. Decent shooting rifles, heavy, ammo isn't cheap unless you roll your own, and just in case of the SHTF-EOTWAWKI evolution, it's going to be a beast to hump along with your other necessities.
    Bolt gun for good accuracy, cost effective, and honing your shooting skills. Master the longer bolt shots and the rest are easier.

Was reading this thread and was going to write something similar but this is just easier to agree and quote Harry !

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ok, being an absolute M1A (M14) fan, I will say that if you are looking for easy suppression and accuracy there is lots to be said for a good bolt rifle. With a bolt rifle in your preferred fit and platform, simply thread the can on and go to work, no need to worry about bullet weights, powders used, port preasures, gas systems, ETC.

I will say that if you ever get around to shooting the M14 style rifle, you will fall in love with it, especially open sights. And weight is not really as much an issue with it as many say, in standard form it's just over 9 lbs.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I will say that if you ever get around to shooting the M14 style rifle, you will fall in love with it, especially open sights. And weight is not really as much an issue with it as many say, in standard form it's just over 9 lbs.

I think my Savage 10FP in .223 weighs more than my M1a

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Take a look at the Savage M11 Hog Hunter in 308. Great bolt action rifle for the money and it will come with the accutrigger and a threaded muzzle.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've been searching for the perfect balance when it comes to a mid to long range suppressed 308. I keep coming back to bolt guns. Reliability trumps everything with me, and that rules out the AR-10 and especially the RFB. I love the M1A, but suppressing it is kind of a ***** to do with it's weird threads and dealing with the gas system. The HK91 is fantastic, but the recoil kind of sucks and it's hell on brass if you reload. I also really liked the Saiga in 308, but suppressing it will also be tricky. I think the only one out of the common "battle rifles" I have zero experience with is the SCAR 17, and I would really really really like to remedy that. My current setup is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC, and I couldn't be happier with it. Slap a stock on it and drop a trigger in, and you'll be ready to go.

I also have a Ruger Scout rifle, and have really enjoyed it as well. The only problem is I haven't quite figured out how to put a suppressor adapter on it for my AAC can.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If you shoot and like the AR's I would stick with it. I dig the looks of the LR308 offerings from DPMS.

Had some trigger time on a SOMCOM 16 and it felt good and shot well. Hard not to like a Savage bolt gun.

Like anything else it depends on budget, if you hand load, what your into.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Love my M1A, it's a robust and outstanding rifle! I don't use a can though so no help there. Bolt guns are cool but I don't have a need for one that the M1A doesn't fix. Although I do admit every time I see a Ruger GSR picture it makes me want one. Lol

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    my vote is the m1a. i've got 2 and would never dream of parting with either of them, great rifles. i also have a remington 700 in .308 that i enjoy but would part with it long before the m1a's.

Top Bottom