• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Another thought, get him a piece of history with a forged receiver that will last several life times.

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Winchester receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

Added bonus, the money you spend is used to fund the promotion of safety, marksmanship and competition programs started in 1903 by Teddy Roosevelt.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Another thought, get him a piece of history with a forged receiver that will last several life times.

CMP Special (.308) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Winchester receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

Added bonus, the money you spend is used to fund the promotion of safety, marksmanship and competition programs started in 1903 by Teddy Roosevelt.

$1250 and it ships TO YOUR DOOR in 2 weeks. Pretty nice option.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd split the diff, esp if he's gonna hunt with it..........and get a Remington Model Six.

Walnut? Check
    Good hunting gun? Check
    Semi Auto? Not really, but give him a Mountain Dew and it kinda sorta could be.

;)

Dunn how big the kid is, so the forend might be a stretch if on the beginning side of growth spurt.

I haven't seen a Model Four or Six for a while.
    Made em in .308.
    Folks kinda want em now so prices kinda silly.
    After deer season some might get turned loose for paying bills, esp since everybody thinks they gotta have 6.5 CM.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Looking for some suggestions on what might be A good place to start for a Christmas gift for our son. He is 14 and he likes classic wood stocks over synthetic. He enjoys shooting both Semi Autos and lever actions.

Thanks

When I first read this, I immediately thought either a Henry Long Ranger, or a Remington 750. When I think of a "first gun" I think of one that the kid is never going to sell and will likely hand it down to his children (your grandchildren) and it will be looked upon with admiration for the rest of his days. Personally, when you look at it like that I'd definitely look really hard at the Henry long ranger. I started out with a semi auto and got bad habits from it, in hindsight I wish I'd have started with a bolt, lever, or single shot.

All the talk of M1A's really shocks me. I don't see a lot of that on this forum. I've got an M1A scout with the FDE stock and it's been such a great rifle! I really like it, but hardly shoot it and will likely be putting it up at the local gunshop soon just because I never get around to shooting it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

A piece of history.....plus there legal in both CMP matches and NRA matches......the M1A is nice even better if a NM .....but restocking in a USGI stock is almost mandatory

Hhhhhhhhh M1? M1A? M1!!!!

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I have a springfield M1A with a stainless NM barrel I was going to take prairrie dog hunting.Bought a ziess conquest scope and ARMS mount with luepold rings but could not get better than a 4 inch group at 350 yrds put the same scope on my ruger SR762 and was getting 1 1/2 inch at 350 yds.Do not look at the newer M1A if you want something accurate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I grin everytime I shoot my GSSR. It's light, short, easy to move around. Also has the convenience of stock spacers.

You should know that you'll be on the hook for some specialty long eye relief glass that will pretty much be dedicated scout rifle only. I opted for QD rings :spend: to easily get the scope out of the way of the peep sight irons, which are great IMHO.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I grin everytime I shoot my GSSR. It's light, short, easy to move around. Also has the convenience of stock spacers.

You should know that you'll be on the hook for some specialty long eye relief glass that will pretty much be dedicated scout rifle only. I opted for QD rings :spend: to easily get the scope out of the way of the peep sight irons, which are great IMHO.

GSSR Gunsite Scout Rifle?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes.

VQrnJeH.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have the Henry Long Ranger in both 223 and 308. I haven't shot the 308 yet, but both are setup identically, and the 223/556 version is one you could shoot ALL day long. The 223 is a 5-round box mag, and the 308 holds 4 rounds. I think a lever or bolt rifle is a great way to slow down a young shooter, especially with pricey ammo.

Hoping to get the 308 dialed in this Spring. Love my Henrys, and these lever actions are typical Henry smooth. The only downside to the Long Ranger models are that they are a bit heavy (which is nice for recoil purposes), and the bolt doesn't come out for cleaning. Which seems to be no big deal... I've found my 223 to stay extremely clean, almost like a piston-driven AR bolt.

fEkO8Av.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have several Henry rimfires and a .327 Big Boy Steel Carbine. They're very nice, as are your Long Rangers. Some of the Walnut stocks have some beautiful grain patterns. Might just have to look at a Long Ranger. Have you tested the .223 for accuracy yet?

I have the Henry Long Ranger in both 223 and 308. I haven't shot the 308 yet, but both are setup identically, and the 223/556 version is one you could shoot ALL day long. The 223 is a 5-round box mag, and the 308 holds 4 rounds. I think a lever or bolt rifle is a great way to slow down a young shooter, especially with pricey ammo.

Hoping to get the 308 dialed in this Spring. Love my Henrys, and these lever actions are typical Henry smooth. The only downside to the Long Ranger models are that they are a bit heavy (which is nice for recoil purposes), and the bolt doesn't come out for cleaning. Which seems to be no big deal... I've found my 223 to stay extremely clean, almost like a piston-driven AR bolt.

fEkO8Av.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have several Henry rimfires and a .327 Big Boy Steel Carbine. They're very nice, as are your Long Rangers. Some of the Walnut stocks have some beautiful grain patterns. Might just have to look at a Long Ranger. Have you tested the .223 for accuracy yet?
    Thanks Steve! The wood on both in my pic is really nice with fetching grain patterns. As for accuracy, now that I have my scope quick release levers at the proper tightness, I should be able to shoot up a 50-cent piece at 100 yards. I can fairly consistently knock off golf balls from that distance. I think the accuracy is as advertised, though I want to do just a little more tweaking with the scope. I will say the iron sights were dead on right out of the gate.

For me, the lever action makes me slow down vs my AR, and it's a more engaging experience, kind of like driving a stick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Next question .... 16 or 18 inch barrel?

Sorry, missed the earlier question. The irons are the same as on some Mini-14's. I liked the fit and sight picture so well that I bought another rear sight assembly to mount on my 77/357.

My Ruger GSR is one of the early releases. It is the 16" barreled version. I cannot speak to the 18" version other than having tried to further capitalize on the compactness of my rifle. Running one short and one longer stock spacer allows the rifle to fit in shorter AR
    -15 style discreet carbine bags. Running the stock a bit shorter allows quicker mounting of the rifle and puts the bolt just beyond the reach of my eye, to run it while shouldered.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have an H&R SB2-D30 rifle in .308. I bought it at Dick's several years ago NIB with a generic 4-12x40 for $169.99. I have replaced the scope with a Cabela's 2.5-10x50 30mm scope from the Bargain Cave, but that is it. It shoots into 2" at 100 yards with good ammo and 4" all day with off the shelf Wal-mart ammo. (Winchester Super-X, Federal Power-Shok, and other budget loads.) H&R is out of business, but the rifles are still out there. The prices are going up on them, but they are still managable. Mine has become one of my favorite rifles. I also have an NEF Handi-Rifle in .223 that shoots just as well. One of these in .243 would be a great starter rifle. The Rossi single shot rifles have a good reputation too.
    H&R SB2-D30 .308  right side.jpg

Gun Broker has several H&R and NEF rifles at various prices with and without scopes.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Sorry, missed the earlier question. The irons are the same as on some Mini-14's. I liked the fit and sight picture so well that I bought another rear sight assembly to mount on my 77/357.

My Ruger GSR is one of the early releases. It is the 16" barreled version. I cannot speak to the 18" version other than having tried to further capitalize on the compactness of my rifle. Running one short and one longer stock spacer allows the rifle to fit in shorter AR
    -15 style discreet carbine bags. Running the stock a bit shorter allows quicker mounting of the rifle and puts the bolt just beyond the reach of my eye, to run it while shouldered.

Thank you, my not so local gun store guy, is suggesting that we go with the Longer Barrel to increase velocity. He may hut with it some day but really wants to get into long range shooting with it. Plus it comes in stainless which I think will be a plus.

Top Bottom