• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xilegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Speedway
    Starting my adventure into loading rifle rounds, starting with a 308w. couple questions that are nagging me. The brass im using has already been fired once from the rifle, Howa 1500, working with 168g bullets. The bullet will actually go into the casing without the need of being pressed. Has the neck stretched to far for usage, and will trimming solve this issue. On the issue of trimming, lyman says overall length of case at 2.015 with trim to length at 2.005. Am I correct in thinking the ttl is the max, and anything past that means throw the casing away and does the bullet seating need to adjust for that difference

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    All you need to do is neck size the casings since you are reloading brass already fired in your rifle. Set your case trimmer for the trim to length and load away. I'm also loading 308 for a Howa 1500 and haven't full length sized a case for it yet. I'm running 168 gr. AMAX with 44.0 gr. of Varget in Winchester once fired neck sized brass with CCI Bench Rest primers and my Howa will put them through the same hole.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Maybe Doc didn't explain it the rest of the way, but it's completely normal for the neck of a fired case to allow a bullet to slide in with finger pressure alone.
    You just need to do either as Doc recommended by neck sizing, which will squeeze the neck back down enough to make using your bullet seating die to put it back...naturally after you've already seated a new primer and dropped a fresh powder charge.
    Crimping is unnecessary, as long as your neck tension is good, which any decent sizing die will make it so.
    If you don't have a neck sizer, if you want to be able to load your reloaded ammo in rifles other than the one you fired it in, or if you just want to put it back at SAAMI dimensions, lube up the case and full length resize, then clean off the lube and do the primer/powder bullet seating operation.
    The reason that Doc recommended neck sizing is because your rifle is a bolt action, which will allow that type of sizing because of the rigidity of the action.
    If you can reliably chamber your reloaded rounds in your rifle with neck sizing, it's preferable over full length sizing.
    The reasons?
    As long as you put just a tiny dab of lube on the neck, you don't have to lube up the whole case the way you do with full length sizing.
    You won't work harden the brass as much, extending the life of your brass.
    Neck sizing ammo is nearly always more accurate.

xilegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Speedway
    Excellent info, that was my line of thought, but wanted to make sure, thank you for your input. And yes Doc Indy the Howa 1500 is a great shooting rifle, actually prefer it over my browning 270

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    One thing I wouldn't recommend is neck sizing AFTER priming and dropping a new powder charge. You have that decapping pin in the die for a reason. While it can be taken out, it's a good idea (especially when you are new) to get into the habit of doing the steps in the same order. You have to deprime before putting a new one in correct? So why not resize and deprime in the same step? Neck only sizing is a great thing, however you will find that you will have to full length resize the case after neck sizing a few times. How many firings you get will depend on the load you are using, but rest assured the brass will stretch to where you will need to full length resize it.

Neck sizing is best if you are shooting out of the same rifle, but make sure you are measuring before just neck sizing every time. Also, while we are on the topic. Crimping isn't always unnecessary. I always do a light crimp if they are going to be loaded from a magazine. That choice is up to you, but I've seen set back from it hitting the feed ramp. The neck tension was good enough to hold the bullet while loading and sitting, but it wasn't enough to keep it in place after hitting the feed ramp.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One thing I wouldn't recommend is neck sizing AFTER priming and dropping a new powder charge. You have that decapping pin in the die for a reason. While it can be taken out, it's a good idea (especially when you are new) to get into the habit of doing the steps in the same order. You have to deprime before putting a new one in correct? So why not resize and deprime in the same step? Neck only sizing is a great thing, however you will find that you will have to full length resize the case after neck sizing a few times. How many firings you get will depend on the load you are using, but rest assured the brass will stretch to where you will need to full length resize it.

Neck sizing is best if you are shooting out of the same rifle, but make sure you are measuring before just neck sizing every time. Also, while we are on the topic. Crimping isn't always unnecessary. I always do a light crimp if they are going to be loaded from a magazine. That choice is up to you, but I've seen set back from it hitting the feed ramp. The neck tension was good enough to hold the bullet while loading and sitting, but it wasn't enough to keep it in place after hitting the feed ramp.

Nice writeup.
    Rep inbound.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Starting my adventure into loading rifle rounds, starting with a 308w. couple questions that are nagging me. The brass im using has already been fired once from the rifle, Howa 1500, working with 168g bullets. The bullet will actually go into the casing without the need of being pressed. Has the neck stretched to far for usage, and will trimming solve this issue. On the issue of trimming, lyman says overall length of case at 2.015 with trim to length at 2.005. Am I correct in thinking the ttl is the max, and anything past that means throw the casing away and does the bullet seating need to adjust for that difference

So, you've gotten some good advice below, and I'm praying you follow it, because...well, your post scares the hell out of me.

I strongly advise you to step away from the reloading press and hit the books. There are some fundamental aspects of reloading you do not currently understand...and it's dangerous.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I would suggest you call Andrew at Profire and sign up for there next reloading class. And not reload until you have finished that class.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    So, you've gotten some good advice below, and I'm praying you follow it, because...well, your post scares the hell out of me.

I strongly advise you to step away from the reloading press and hit the books. There are some fundamental aspects of reloading you do not currently understand...and it's dangerous.
    A great big :+1:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    :+1: There are tricks of the trade so to speak, but it takes time to pick them up. Get that reloading class under your belt, then go from there.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest you call Andrew at Profire and sign up for there next reloading class. And not reload until you have finished that class.

agree.... you need to do a but of studying as it appears from the post there are probably many other thing that you may be missing in you consideration of reloading. with out beating around the bush anymore on a scale of 1-10 how skilled of a reloaded are you? or what is your past experience reloading?

Profire or another basic reloading class (geared toward rifle rounds) is a great investment to take steps to avoid bodily harm or worse!

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I bought the Lyman reloading manual which has every possible reloading step in detail. Read it about 3 and then started reloading. If nothing else, do that.

Brian

Top Bottom