• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Looking for load data specifically for the Contender. The barrel is a 10" SSK with .311 groove, but other than bullet diameters, I am looking for data to go with 115gr LRNFP and 100gr XTP for the powders I have: H110, 2400, 1680, IMR4227, Titegroup, HP-38. I will also likely try some 123gr bullets designed for the x39 and 174-ish grainers for the 303Brit. Any help would be appreciated. I have looked at Hodgdon data and it seems very mild for the older revolvers and has no heavy bullet data. I will be shooting some at the higher level, but want a good low power load for it as well. Links to published articles, Contender specific data (subscription free), or personal experience appreciated.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's a tall order. I believe you'll find the cast 115 and jacketed 100gr data easily enough by purchasing the Lyman reloading manual, although it is not likely to include loads for all the powders you mention.

As far as the heavier bullets, and data specifically for rifles, that is going to be scarce. My own experience with loading both mild and HOT 44/40 loads, for a Model 92 rifle, tells me you may have to actually pay a little money and do some experimenting of your own to get the information you're after. Relying on free Internet "data" is a risky thing.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I just don't see needing to pay a subscription to a site like Load data. I may invest in QuickLoad though so I can plug in different combinations. I know some people may have scanned copies of different articles, varying manuals (I have Nosler, Alliant, Lyman 49, and the latest Lee), or some loads from silhouette shooters. I believe that 2400 and H110 will most likely be the best of what I have to work up loads for on different sides of the spectrum. I guess I am asking for the odd combinations as starting points so that I can further research them.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    First of all, there's no free lunch. I suggest you invest in a proper manual such as listed here.https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=contender+reloading+manual&userItemsPerPage=48 Proper information has a cost. Mine lists info for Contender in your caliber only with jacketed slugs which is perfectly safe with lead slugs. A bit of experimentation will get the most out of your particular combination. H110/296 is the powder of choice for your needs.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Old Syko, I didn't know Midway had those. I would have added them to my order last week. I guess I know what I am picking up with my next discretionary spendage.:):

Thank you mkgr22.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I load a lot of 32-20 for a variety of guns, but not the contender. Back in time those old Winchester cartridges were loaded higher by ammo companies after the 1892 arrived, I think the old Lyman manual has some of those loads, but I don't recall if there were any heavier than 130 grain bullets. A check of the " Cast Boolits" website may also be helpful.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    It's been some years since I loaded for this round in a Contender and my personal data from then was destroyed due to a window getting broken during a storm and water taking its toll. From what I remember, your 115 cast should approach 18 to 1900 fps over H110/296. I won't post load weight info because I can't back it up with published info. I will say that you only had about a half grain variation from starting to max with this powder. Very picky in order to stay safe without pressure spikes. Other powders such as 2400 which was popular back in the day maxed out 3 to 400 slower. I would never use data from the web without verifiable proof it was legit. I load for a number of obscure rounds in the Contender such as 7TCU and 357 Herrett and see too much data floating around that will cause a bad day. That's why I want it in print from a known source.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 357 Herrett, haven't from that one in a long time. Excellent cartridge for the Contender.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The 357 Herrett, haven't from that one in a long time. Excellent cartridge for the Contender.
    Around 82 or 83 I walked into my local gun haunt just to BS and met one of the other regulars with a bandage on his head. He had mounted a scope on a 10" 357 Herrett with a Weaver base and some cheap rings and none of it was strong enough or it was done wrong. I don't know. He had just put a new engine in his car and couldn't get it started. I went to his house and started and tuned his new engine in maybe 30 minutes, had a beer with him and refused any payment and left. The next day when I got home from work I noticed a box on my doorstep and in it was the barrel, forearm, dies, brass, bullets, and 4# of H4227 with a note that said if I didn't want it to throw it in the river, he was done with it. Since that day it's performed well at silhouette shoots and taken both many deer and hogs for my son and I.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A good approach for the heavy bullets you are considering is to give JD Jones at SSK a call and get his opinion about it, and he will have one. He has done a lot of work in the subsonic ammo arena. One big issue I see is the throat and twist rate on your barrel, neither may be compatible. Do a search on 300 Black vs 32-20 because they have some similarities that may help in your quest.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Thanks. The barrel is a SSK, so I may end up calling him at some point anyway. I am hoping that the lead slugs I got will work well in it. If not, I will have to try different sizes. That is part of the fun though.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Mehta is the bore diameter? I know some of the Contender barrels used .308 bores to use more common rifle bullets. In a Contender, your brass will probably be your limiting factor as the gun is built like a tank. I’d use Starline brass specifically in this one, especially if you have other .32/20’s to keep the loads segregated. Some of the older Lyman manuals had rifle specific loads, I’d use them as a starting point and go from there.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I put together a few loads in Starline brass with the .312 cast over 4227, 1680, and 2400 and CCI 400 primers (Lyman 49th data). In varying wind and being rushed for time, the 8 grain of IMR4227 and 11 grain AA1680, both produced groups of 1.5" at 50 yards. The load with 7 grains of 2400 had two shots under 3/4", and I must have pulled the last one because it opened up to 3". With that in mind, all of these powders show promise. I only shot 3 rounds per combo just to get an idea of what to more seriously consider. I did notice quite a bit of unburnt powder with all of them. 1680 had the least amount.

There is visible leading with only 15 rounds fired, which may be most contributed to by the size of the bullet. I think I should be shooting cast bullets sized to .313-.314, and am checking into some. Thank you for all the input so far. It has been helpful.

Slow Hand, I will be keeping brass from the cast loads and any of the faster jacketed stuff separate. This is the only 32-20 I have. If it turns out as fun as I am hoping, I may have to get a carbine barrel and stock set as well. I think many people get bore vs groove messed up. The .308 diameter of the T/C chambered barrels is actually the nominal groove diameter just as most 30 cal cartridges.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    .312 Meister 115gr RNFP, 2.5 grains Trail Boss, CCI 500 primer, 1.59" COL, ragged hole at 25 yards. The range was busy so I couldn't set up the chrony, but I will definitely load a few more of these to put over it and test at 50. I have also done some more reading about various powder and think I am going to try to step up the IMR4227 loads to approx 22k psi and see if it helps with powder burn and accuracy as it has with others. The 100gr XTP load with A1680 is head of groundhog accurate at 50 yards at least. I am sure that I am the main problem with determing the accuracy potential of different loads, but I will keep working on improving my consistency. This is definitely a lot different than rifle shooting.

Top Bottom