• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Legal? Yes. With the proper NFA paperwork. You are creating a short barreled shotgun.

Taurus did this with a 28 gauge many years ago. They had it at a show and it was promptly dropped.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I know that there is a limit on the size of a smooth bore handgun. I know the.410 is under that size.
    I was thinking that the 32 was close, but the 28 ( 54 caliber) was too big.
    Any body know if it's been done?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know that there is a limit on the size of a smooth bore handgun. I know the.410 is under that size.
    I'm going by pure speculation here but if a smoothbore .410 revolver were legal, I do believe someone would be making one. It would definitely have a place as a long(er) range snake gun than say the Judge or Governor.

I think the size isn't the issue. It's the ammo. "Shot" through a smoothbore is what makes it a shotgun per the ATF definition, not the caliber. Kentucky Ballistics has a .600 Nitro Express Contender that is legal and it a .60 caliber.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    26 U.S.C. § 5845(F)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Destructive Device” means:

• A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.
    • Any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore greater than one-half inch in diameter.
    • A combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a device into a destructive device and from which a destructive device can be readily assemble
    • .Exemptions:
      • A shotgun or shotgun shell which is determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes.
      • a device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon,
      • a device which is designed or redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device,
      • surplus ordnance sold, loaded, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to law such as antique, obsolete bronze or iron cannon,
      • a device which the Attorney General determines is not likely to be used as a weapon.
      • An antique firearm, or
      • a rifle which the owner intended to use solely for sporting purposes.
    That seems to be the relevant points, I think.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm going by pure speculation here but if a smoothbore .410 revolver were legal, I do believe someone would be making one. It would definitely have a place as a long(er) range snake gun than say the Judge or Governor.

I think the size isn't the issue. It's the ammo. "Shot" through a smoothbore is what makes it a shotgun per the ATF definition, not the caliber. Kentucky Ballistics has a .600 Nitro Express Contender that is legal and it a .60 caliber.
    So if you rifled it with a 1 in 10' twist rate, would that be counted as a rifled barrel?
    Rifled is rifled. They dont specify a twist rate. LOL

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Legal? Yes. With the proper NFA paperwork. You are creating a short barreled shotgun.

Taurus did this with a 28 gauge many years ago. They had it at a show and it was promptly dropped.

It was at the NRA annual meeting in St. Louis several years ago.
    I was there, handled, fondled, and drooled over that example.
    I begged the representative to tell me when/where it would be available.

In hindsight, I believe they (Taurus) may have had worries about it not passing scrutiny, but had already produced the floor samples/prototype, and were determined to at least show the thing.
    The rep just hemmed and hawed, obviously not wanting to answer my questions.
    It was not like he "couldn't" answer them, more like he wasn't allowed.

I remember puzzling over his reaction to what should have been obvious questions.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So if you rifled it with a 1 in 10' twist rate, would that be counted as a rifled barrel?
    Rifled is rifled. They dont specify a twist rate. LOL
    I had contemplated this exact thought.

I could see Standard Manufacturing do something like this. They did the straight "rifling" to get past the NFA rules for a "Not" a SBR.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011

I'm pretty

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Going back over the ATFE website, it's apparent that I was once fed bad info. So my next question would be if I wanted to build a 32 guage rifled pistol , would that fall under the AOW definition?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Going back over the ATFE website, it's apparent that I was once fed bad info. So my next question would be if I wanted to build a 32 guage rifled pistol , would that fall under the AOW definition?
    Again, my opinion only, but since it's rifled, you'd be fine.

Top Bottom