• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Went shooting with these relics from the past today, back when 32 was considered a self defense caliber, after all in Doctor No the 32 ACP was considered a slugger "like a brick through a glass window". Some might recognize the Colt Pocket Positive from old movies, the other is a basic S&W 1903 Hand Ejector. Both good shooters, but both hard hard on the middle finger with higher powered loads, there just isn't enough grip to get a good hold.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I enjoy shooting the various .32's.
    I have a Colt Pocket Hammerless 1903 in .32acp, and a Savage 1907 in .32acp.
    They are fun, and accurate enough, but the real fun is the revolvers.

I don't have any old revolvers. Both of my .32's are new.
    One is a 6-shot J-frame Taurus snub-nose 2" barrel .327Federal magnum, and the second being a Ruger SP101 4.2" barrel .327fed/mag.

The lesser .32's are great for teaching new shooters.
    The SP101 shooting .32S&W (not longs) are like shooting a cap gun. There's a pop, but zero recoil.
    Move up to the .32S&W longs and the report is slightly louder, but very little more recoil.
    The .32H&R magnum does step up a bit further, but still quite a bit less recoil than the more popular self-defense rounds today.

The .327Federal magnum does ramp things up a lot more for a .32 caliber round.
    Federal advertised it at first as having near .357mag performance with 20% less recoil.
    I'm not completely convinced about those claims. It does seem to have near .357mag performance, but the 20% less recoil part, well, I guess that's all perception.

I like shooting my .32's, but I'm really excited to get my hands on a new Henry Big Boy steel in .327Fed/mag.
    I have one on order.
    Should be here sometime in the next couple of weeks...

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    We have a few gathering dust in the downstairs bedroom, including an old S&W "Lemon Squeezer". They belonged to the wife's grandfather. I don't find them comfortable to shoot. And the ammo is expensive & hard to find ... the only place I could find ammo was at a gun show, at triple the price of 9mm rounds from a local retailer. The novelty factor is almost fun, but I'll stick to my modern semi-autos.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We have a few gathering dust in the downstairs bedroom, including an old S&W "Lemon Squeezer". They belonged to the wife's grandfather. I don't find them comfortable to shoot. And the ammo is expensive & hard to find ... the only place I could find ammo was at a gun show, at triple the price of 9mm rounds from a local retailer. The novelty factor is almost fun, but I'll stick to my modern semi-autos.

The .32 family of cartridges, if hand loaded, are nearly as cheap to shoot as .22lr.
    It can be just pennies per round, or over one dollar per round if you want to go stupid on .327fed/mag components.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Hmm, great thread. The only 32 I have is a 1914 Mauser but I just pulled it out of the safe and realized it needs to be shot!!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What always impressed me about the .32 s&w long was it's inherent accuracy....I had a little .32 hand ejector I got rid of and regret it to this day....Very nice leadeye...

You have a couple of 32 20's as well don't you????

I still had a pic of her in my photobucket...Here she was...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom