• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I know there is a dedicated stolen gun thread but I don't have any S/N to list and haven't seen a post on this...

I read a report that 33 handguns were stolen 30 March from a local business in Indy so anyone who's thinking of a private purchase may want to check S/N of the following....
    - Four S&W 642 Centennial Airweights
    - Five Remington 1911 R1
    - Four Berreta Nanos
    - Twenty Ruger SR1911

I imagine they are headed out of the country but some criminals may be dumb enough to sell them locally.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No planning on buying any such guns, but its great of you to post a warning! :ingo:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    By checking the S/N, do you mean taking it to a police station or handling the purchase via FFL? As far as I know, there is no other good way to do it. Unfortunately, the stolen firearms sites out there are strictly hit-or-miss and mostly miss with info.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Even with a 4473 transfer the numbers are not checked. No s/n or even make and model are run with a transfer. Police check is only way to go.

Last edited:

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    Thanks for posting I have been thinking about getting another R1 or getting my first Ruger 1911. Will the police run it for you if you call them or would I have to go there and have them run it?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Thanks for posting I have been thinking about getting another R1 or getting my first Ruger 1911. Will the police run it for you if you call them or would I have to go there and have them run it?

My understanding is that you will have to go to the station and they will confiscate it if found to be stolen.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    they were in transit
    That makes sense now. Someone jacked a ups, fedex or other carrier I assume. That sucks. I really wish they would give dealers access to a stolen gun database. We have bought stolen guns before because we had no way of knowing. Chances are these guns will end up on the streets.

Top Bottom