• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Does anyone have experience to relate with the .338 Federal cartridge?
    I'm teetering on having an old abused 99 Savage rebored to .338 and hoping someone has info.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you can go with the 338 RUM.......it's nearly identical to the Lapua that NATO and military use...but without the cost on the ammo......google them and you'll be pretty impressed with its performance

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    338 RUM and .338 federal have nothing in common other than bore diameter. .338RUM is a shoulder busting, barrel burning, recoil machine suitable for game no smaller than Elk and best reserved for moose and large bear. .338 Federal is a short action, leisurely cartridge designed for medium distances. It could be an ideal brush cartrige if i could catch on.

Rechamber a savage 99 for a 338RUM and it will be scattered amongst the firing line in more pieces than you can count - other than the ones the dr will be pulling out of your arms, chest and face.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    338 RUM and .338 federal have nothing in common other than bore diameter. .338RUM is a shoulder busting, barrel burning, recoil machine suitable for game no smaller than Elk and best reserved for moose and large bear. .338 Federal is a short action, leisurely cartridge designed for medium distances. It could be an ideal brush cartrige if i could catch on.

Rechamber a savage 99 for a 338RUM and it will be scattered amongst the firing line in more pieces than you can count - other than the ones the dr will be pulling out of your arms, chest and face.

that's why is said it's close to the 338 LAPUA.....not federal......and I said "if you can"...meaning I don't know how much material he has to work with in his current weapon because I'm not familiar with that gun....I base all of mine off of 700's which is why I'm not familiar with his particular model......and it's a matter of what he intends to use it for to decide which he wants and if he wants a "shoulder buster"...the Lapua round being a favorite round for distance shots in the sandbox capable of penetrating body armor at over 1500 meters......regardless, the OP did not specify for what intentions he had for the weapon...leaving it open to suggestions of any kind

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What caliber is it now? What would it be used for?

To me it sounds like a fun project, and there's nothing wrong with the .338 Fed. Will there be enough barrel left after you rebore it to maintain good accuracy?

You might also think about the 8mm-08. It'll leave (roughly) 0.015" more steel, and there's not likely much performance difference, although bullet selection will be somewhat reduced, and factory ammo will be non-existent. If you have enough steel in the barrel I would say go for the .338 Fed...

...or the .358 Win.

Top Bottom