• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Any .338 Lapua owners out there? Ive been curious about this caliber for a long time. I think my next rifle build is gonna be a long range bolt gun and this is one of the calibers I have been kicking around. What rifles are you guys using and what kind of performance are you getting out of them?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    please delete dupe post.

Attachments

• bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png
      bKZ0lE02P_oa6EPDuEW.png
      7.9 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had one but didn't overly care for it. I only have a 750 yd range, and at that distance my 260 wears the lapua out so for my the extra expense was pointless.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Tagged for interest. I've been spying a Savage 10 HS Precision.

View attachment 20922

I'm assuming I'd either be reloading for it or not shooting it much.

A 300gr SMK out of a .338 Lapua has an astonish BC of .768. Talk about downrange power and bucking wind.

For reference, this is higher BC than a 240gr bullet in .308! It also is a MUCH higher BC than the excellent 142gr bullets in 6.5mm

If you aren't going to shoot 250gr or 300gr bullets, there's not much point to a .338LM imo. If you're going to run bullets lighter than 250gr, might as well go with .338 Fed.

.338LM isn't a very practical caliber, but boy is it amazingly capable in the right hands.

[video=youtube_share;emJ0RToUYGE]http://youtu.be/emJ0RToUYGE[/video]

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    This rifle Im planning is not going to happen right away. I dont even have the ability to properly master a caliber like this yet. Im wanting something that will be my longest shooter and have lots of downrange power. Alan, 260 is another caliber I have been kicking around. I know thats quite a spread, but hey, thats why we do research and ask questions beforehand. :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This rifle Im planning is not going to happen right away. I dont even have the ability to properly master a caliber like this yet. Im wanting something that will be my longest shooter and have lots of downrange power. Alan, 260 is another caliber I have been kicking around. I know thats quite a spread, but hey, thats why we do research and ask questions beforehand. :)

For every 1 round you send threw the 338 you will be able to send 5 threw the 260. You will learn much more with 5 rds threw a 260 than you would 1 round threw a 338. I dont see the advantages to the 338 UNLESS your going to be shooting north of 1000 yds, or your looking for more stopping power at longer ranges. If its just a target/learning rifle then IMO the 338 is the wrong caliber.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If your looking to punch paper or hit gongs at distance there are many calibers out there now that will do the trick without wrecking your shoulder or your wallet.

With that said the .300gr loads in .338 lapua are hard to beat at 1200+ when more energy is required. But again, what's you end game?

Also, we gotta define long range. Long range to me is 1200+. And even with that said i don't get to shot that far out that often. I'm stuck with an 800 yard max and that's intermidiate range.

And based off that range i use my .300WM mostly. If it's a 600 or under shot the .308 get the nod.

Been there done that, shot them all. When picking caliber there's two ways of doing it.
    1) reverse engineer it to get what you need done. usualy the most cost effective and efficient way
    2) go the bigger is better route, which usually nets you something more than what is required, harder to become proficient with and heavier on the wallet.

Is .338 good...............sure is, but it's not the only trick in my bag

DSC_0020.jpg

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    I picked up a savage 110ba I've ways wanted a long range gun and have wanted a left handed version I found one and went with a millet LRS scope I'm still gathering brass. I mainly bought it because in a few years I plan on some out of state hunts and want the stopping power and range. But then again there are many calibers that would do. That's why you can never just have one rifle in the safe

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am in the same boat so to speak. I know i will have one in the future. However i havent decided all my details on the build or if i want to go with an accuracy international or what.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    With the .338, there's the added challenge of having to improve your shooting technique to accurately shoot a hard recoiling round like this.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Yes .338LM is expensive but OMG the power is awessssoooome!!

The good thing about mine is that with 4 turns of the torque wrench it becomes and .338BR, four more turns and it is a .308WIN, four more turns and it is a .510 Whisper. It is a beautiful thing!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm still waiting on an invite! :):

Yes .338LM is expensive but OMG the power is awessssoooome!!

The good thing about mine is that with 4 turns of the torque wrench it becomes and .338BR, four more turns and it is a .308WIN, four more turns and it is a .510 Whisper. It is a beautiful thing!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It sucks shooting next to a 110BA in 338 Lapua at the range...sucks BAD.

I actually asked the guy "is that brake as effective as it feels like it should be?" He said yes, then proceeded to let other shooters who asked take a turn banging the 1535yd target at Rockcastle.

Top Bottom