• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    well it all depends on what kind of long range you are wanting to do. the 300wm would be good for out to 1000-1200 yards with descent grouping, but the 338 and the 50 are good out to 2000+ but they arent guns designed to shoot groups, they are designed to hit big targets at long distances. so i guess it all depends on what you are gonna do with it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd thought about getting something long, but I thought to myself: I live in Indiana. As flat as it is around here, there are a lot of trees, houses and things. It's rare to even see more than a couple hundred yards, and I'm simply not going to have to overrun my 7mmRM. I gave up on the idea. Now, as far as I'm concerned, "need" is not a factor if you want a toy, but if you're trying to rationalize, just stop it. Get one if you want :) It's your money. Have fun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd thought about getting something long, but I thought to myself: I live in Indiana. As flat as it is around here, there are a lot of trees, houses and things. It's rare to even see more than a couple hundred yards,

I take just the opposite approach. Around NE Indiana its all flat corn fields where distance can add up quickly. It's pretty amazing just how fast hundreds of yards can add up. Its not hard to see a target at 1000 yards if its a decent sized target.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    The ranges I have at my parents farm are 150 yds*** and the other one is a long way. I have never measures it, but it is long. I use the short one a lot to sight everything in at 100. I need to measure the long one and make some distance markers.... When that range is "upgraded" is when I would like to take my distance shooting to a new level. Thats why I was asking this question.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wow, I'm gonna have to move outa NW IN. I'm stuck at small ranges. I guess its saving me money, but it would be nice to try some decent distances.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The ranges I have at my parents farm are 150 yds*** and the other one is a long way. I have never measures it, but it is long. I use the short one a lot to sight everything in at 100. I need to measure the long one and make some distance markers.... When that range is "upgraded" is when I would like to take my distance shooting to a new level. Thats why I was asking this question.

How far do you intend/want to shoot ideally?

You don't have to wait to make distance markers. Look up the farm with google maps and there will be a scale in the lower left hand side of the satelite view. It won't be perfect, but you can get a pretty close idea by scaling out the distance you would have available using that tool. I've done that a couple of times on my own.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    How far do you intend/want to shoot ideally?

You don't have to wait to make distance markers. Look up the farm with google maps and there will be a scale in the lower left hand side of the satelite view. It won't be perfect, but you can get a pretty close idea by scaling out the distance you would have available using that tool. I've done that a couple of times on my own.

INGO is so smart!!!!!! Thanks

It's 600m acording to google maps.....

But if I do get a big 50. or even the 338 or 300WM... I will need to improve the back stop...

Top Bottom