35.7% of all children born to single mother(average,as high as 51%in some areas)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ever heard of condoms?

You misunderstood. I know responsible sex, I taught my daughter to be responsible. In the context that the single mom has the power over to abort or not to abort it is her responsibility to practice responsible sex. Just my opinion but when the Liberals took the man out of the picture for any decision on abortion ie; her body her choice then it is also her soul responsibility. I place it all on the woman.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm not doubting a correlation, but correlation doesn't always mean a whole lot. I seriously doubt direct causation. My money is on socioeconomic status bein a much better indicator.

You are likely reversing cause and effect. Bad judgement tends to compromise socioeconomic status.

Too many people with good character and judgment pull themselves up by the bootstraps for your reasoning to be valid, IMO.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    You misunderstood. I know responsible sex, I taught my daughter to be responsible. In the context that the single mom has the power over to abort or not to abort it is her responsibility to practice responsible sex. Just my opinion but when the Liberals took the man out of the picture for any decision on abortion ie; her body her choice then it is also her soul responsibility. I place it all on the woman.

I agree and misunderstood your meaning. I feel conservative law makers would garner much more support if they didn't take the stance of banning abortion in all instances. Rape and incest for instance. Those are legitimate cases where I can see forcing a woman to carry to term is not neccessarily the right thing to do. If she chooses to, wonderful. But being someone that would never personally have to make that choice, I don't feel compelled to force my beliefs on the hypothetical woman. That is a situation that sucks all the way around. Because the child certainly isn't to blame in ay of this and is the one paying the biggest price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Washington, D.C. had the highest percentage of women with a birth in the previous year who were unmarried (51 percent), followed closely by Louisiana (49 percent), Mississippi (48 percent) and New Mexico (48 percent). The states with the lowest percentages were Utah (15 percent) and New Hampshire (20 percent).

The numbers varied by race as well. Among black women who had a birth in the last year, more than two-thirds (68 percent) were not married. The share for Asians was 11 percent; for non-Hispanic whites, 26 percent; and for Hispanics, 43 percent.

Rates of out-of-wedlock births vary tremendously by demographics like age and education. Among women 20 to 24 years old, for example, 62 percent of those who gave birth in the previous 12 months were unmarried. Among those 35 to 39, the share was 17 percent. The rate of births out of marriage were also lower for women with higher income and more education.

he metro areas with the highest rates of births to unmarried women were Flagstaff, Ariz. (74.6 percent)....rest at the New York Times,data is from Census.
    Mapping Unwed Motherhood - NYTimes.com

Why not some single mothers are getting 80-90 K a year just for spitting out a baby every 5 or 6 years.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    In our obsession to become politically correct, we have stopped judging. Not long ago, a young woman, unmarried with a child was shamed by society. Now, it gets you put on an MTV reality show.

Sadly, it's not as simple as just going back to shaming people for their poor decision making skills. We have an entire generation that doesn't understand the concept of either shame, or personal responsibility.:dunno:

That was the problem; it takes two make a baby. So the women were shamed and the men went about their lives with head held high.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Probably because babies are born to mothers... there have always been men out there on the hunt, looking to pollinate every flower they come upon. In the past, most women knew not to get involved with them as there were negative consequences. You had the disapproval of the community, the knowledge that if they were impregnated, there was no one to help raise the child. Now there is no disapproval and there is Uncle Sugar to financially help raise the child. But there is more to helping to raise a child than a monthly check. There are consequences to the choices we make.

We adopted a grandchild, and when my daughters husband left her with a 5, 3, and 2 year, old we have had them living in our home off and on for the past 11 years...she always thinks she can make it on her own but can't. She works and has never got public assistance. Families use to help each other this way...but now it seems like more have the attitude well the government will help you, why should I

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    We tell our daughters to keep their legs closed, but what are we telling our sons? Yeah, it's our fault! ?

When my dad first told me about the birds and the bees, he taught me something else too.

Real men only have sex when they're married. And if I EVER get a girl pregnant, and not being married to her, then he'll cut my penis off.

I never forgot that. And I didn't have sex until I was married. And if I'm ever lucky enough to have a kid, (long story), I'll teach him/her the samething.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When my dad first told me about the birds and the bees, he taught me something else too.

Real men only have sex when they're married. And if I EVER get a girl pregnant, and not being married to her, then he'll cut my penis off.

I never forgot that. And I didn't have sex until I was married. And if I'm ever lucky enough to have a kid, (long story), I'll teach him/her the samething.

To each his own, but I'm not threatening penile removal. :D

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    And while we're at it, let's make it harder for kids to get proper sex education, prevent teens from getting contraception, make it hard to get the morning-after pill, and do everything possible to shut down Planned Parenthood. Then, let's act surprised when there are more out-of-wedlock births. Makes perfect sense.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    What states are providing this level of support and for what reason?

Not sure what states...but when you add in section 8 housing, energy assistance, food stamps, medicaid, Tanf, free lunches and breakfast, free book fees, free cell phone, free transportation, (bus past) plus all the clothes and toys they get from charities, and free child care. I can see how that can add up.

Shocking Investigation: Single Mother in Pennsylvania Qualifies for a Whopping $80,000 in Government Benefits! | Fox News Insider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    And while we're at it, let's make it harder for kids to get proper sex education, prevent teens from getting contraception, make it hard to get the morning-after pill, and do everything possible to shut down Planned Parenthood. Then, let's act surprised when there are more out-of-wedlock births. Makes perfect sense.

Are you saying these things are not available with out PPH. That parents, health class cannot teach sex ed, give condoms, Planned parent hood are more into abortions than giving out free BC...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Stephen King's "The Stand" should indeed be read by more.

Actually Stephen King's "The Stand" borrowed very heavily from an older book called "The Bible" , the "Holy Bible", or in some places just "The Book". As a matter of fact most great literature stems from "The Book".

I always liked "The Stand" with it's Book of Revalations analogies and the clear distinction between Good and Evil. Remember what Hemingway once said, "Good writers write, Great writers steal." and King always stole from the best.;)

Since you seem to be into religious literature you may check out an atheist by the name of Christopher Hitchens. He felt "The Holy Bible, King James version" should be taught in school beginning in 3rd grade so that by the time a child reached 11th or 12th grade they would understand where the literature they were reading then stemmed from. I always thought it funny that one of the world's foremost atheists was the biggest advocate for teaching the Bible in school.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Are you saying these things are not available with out PPH. That parents, health class cannot teach sex ed, give condoms, Planned parent hood are more into abortions than giving out free BC...

Planned Parenthood is a racists dream corporation...It amazes me how deep Margaret Sanger's racist roots are. She actually got booted out of a Klan womens auxillary meeting in NJ according to her autobiography. You know when the klan boot you out for being a overzealous in your elimination of "the wrong type of children being born" that you are one sick puppy. Planned Parenthood is for certain that. It amazes me the number of liberals that support PPH financially and openly. I do not blame them, PPH has done a bang up job of shrouding their corporate murder mills under the lofty banner of "womens rights" and "breast cancer screenings". Too bad the roughly half of the female children aborted "rights" are ignored in their scramble for the mighty dollar.

rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    This is the cause of so much of our society's ills. The children are more likely to use drugs, be dependent on the government, be in gangs, be violent offenders.... Of course our society in a perverse way seems to celebrate this breakdown of the family structure.

Please give us some factual evidence of this, because this may be the most ridiculous statement that I have seen in awhile. Some of this nations most violent offenders in history have been raised with both parents. If you look at areas where drug use is very high it usually comes to be in areas/neighborhoods of greater wealth from kids with strong financially stable families.

If the percentage of children raised without both parents is higher than that of those raised with both parents you can catagorize the single parent group in any demographic looking greater than the other. It is ridiculous to assume that this is a primary cause of problems.

Top Bottom