• ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That's great!!
    Live got a Remington 141 pump gun on the way that has already been drilled andtapped
    for scope mounts, so I think it's going to be my deer rifle this year.
    Looking to hear details on your load and bullet alloy.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I bet that cast bullet would flat get the job done on any deer walking around Indiana.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I just finished shortening cases this weekend and primed them. How do you like the LVR as compared to other powders? I have been using 39.5 grns of IMR 4320 in mine with Speer 200 gr soft tips.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Im betting the Hornady FTX 200gr. will do the job too....and I will find out this deer season when I get to use my Marlin 336 .35Rem for its first Indiana Deer Season. :rockwoot:

Don't get me wrong, The FTX will get the job done. I took two last year, including this little guy.

Good luck remauto.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I just finished shortening cases this weekend and primed them. How do you like the LVR as compared to other powders? I have been using 39.5 grns of IMR 4320 in mine with Speer 200 gr soft tips.

Ive tried H322, IMR4895, BLc2 and LVR. I prefer the lvr for accuracy and lower pressure. With 35 rem brass being difficult to find, I try to take it easy on it.

Here is a target from my load development with cast and lvr.

you should try some with the heavier 220 grain bullet. Lvr seems more accurate the heavier the bullet I shoot out of my 35 rem.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Your target says RanchDog 190. But those bullets don't look like my Ranch Dog 190 bullets????

I wish I could get my cast bullets to shoot like that. I have some LVR powder to try someday. Maybe they will shoot better with this powder.

I need to see how my cast bullets stand up when shot, too. They are just wheel weight material and I have a feeling they would fracture before they mushroomed like yours did.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Your target says RanchDog 190. But those bullets don't look like my Ranch Dog 190 bullets????

I wish I could get my cast bullets to shoot like that. I have some LVR powder to try someday. Maybe they will shoot better with this powder.

I need to see how my cast bullets stand up when shot, too. They are just wheel weight material and I have a feeling they would fracture before they mushroomed like yours did.

My ranchdog bullet mold is a NOE copy with standard lube grooves. You need to add Tin to your alloy to keep it from fracturing. Tin adds toughness and does not add as much hardness as antimony. The tin also is not affected by heat treating.

Try mixing your wheel weights with pure lead 1 to 1 by weight. Then add 2% weight tin. I like water dropping. Check lube and size within an hour or so of casting. This will keep the bearing surface hard.

Good luck

david

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    David,

Thanks for the advice about the heavier bullets and LVR. I have bought a couple of boxes of Remington Cor-Lock ammo over time and am using that brass to shorten. I am using a Remington 760 with a 4x scope on it. I trimmed my brass back to 1.790" and am using CCI LR primers.

Top Bottom